Max 1-way range of Phantom 3 Standard for long-range waypoints?
7714 10 2016-6-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
amelia.bolli01
lvl.2

United States

Hello! I have a simple but VERY important question. I fly with Litchi (allows long range waypoints) and want to know the maximum one-way range of my Phantom 3 Standard or the maximum total flight distance or the maximum flight time. Would this flight be safe or not?   

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz8O75EyP4AiNnB4N29CMldma2M
2016-6-25
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

The autonomous nature of waypoints mission decides it's not very safe, that's why DJI eliminates this function in DJI GO.  

In the picture, it says 23000+ feet, Phantom 3 Standard has no problem flying this distance one way, unless there's big wind.
2016-6-25
Use props
amelia.bolli01
lvl.2

United States

huntcool001@gma Posted at 2016-6-26 15:18
The autonomous nature of waypoints mission decides it's not very safe, that's why DJI eliminates thi ...

Thank you for the answer, I will fly that mission today and tell you how it went
2016-6-26
Use props
theisenmr
lvl.1

United States

I haven't used Litchi much yet, but it estimates a 10 minute mission, so if it's a one-way trip and not too windy, you can definitely do it on a fully charged battery.  Better make sure you correctly set the Finish Action instruction to Land (instead of Reverse, RTH, etc.) and that it's a large open field that's safe to land in without trees/bushes, rocks, slopes, people, water, etc.  And of course, have someone there to retrieve it when it does.

Stupid question for you and others that do these autonomous "guaranteed to lose signal" missions with Litchi.  How does it play in with your RTH settings?  The Aircraft settings specifically word it as "Signal Lost Behavior for Manual Flying."  Which I assume means it has to ignore that during non-manual flying, such as Waypoints. Otherwise, you'd never complete the mission on signal loss as it'd hover, land or RTH.  

And since there is no H on the battery indicator line in Litchi, I assume it never hits a point where it says it needs to RTH now lest the battery dies before you can.  So it will just fly the mission and follow the Finish Action, and if that Finish Action is None, it will land when it hits the red part of the battery line (which I see no way to change).

Interested to hear about how your mission went.

2016-6-26
Use props
amelia.bolli01
lvl.2

United States

Chris512 Posted at 2016-6-27 06:34
I fly only with Litchi because I need to develop precision flights in the office for aerial survey  ...

Thanks for the catch on the 625 feet altitude, I changed it back to 350
2016-6-26
Use props
HotQuad
lvl.1

United States

Chris512 Posted at 2016-6-27 06:34
I fly only with Litchi because I need to develop precision flights in the office for aerial survey  ...

Good post, thank you for the info.  Good to know that RTH may sometimes be triggered on a signal lost waypoint.  Sounds like it wouldn't when recording video necessarily, but when taking timed pictures yes.  I wouldn't risk setting the RTH improperly either way.

Good eye on the mission too.  I read "one way" and looked at the 10 minute estimate, and actually thought it was just a mission over fields/trees.
2016-6-26
Use props
amelia.bolli01
lvl.2

United States

Ok so I took the drone out, changed the mission altitude to 350 feet (thanks for the catch ) and started the mission.
Mission went fine, drone performed well, came back on time
Got some great footage on the way there
A great success
Battery was at 70 percent when it came in

TO ALL NEGATIVE POSTERS:
Don't you have a life? Do you do not do anything but criticize people the whole day? My question was about the maximum SAFE RANGE OF THE DRONE SO I WOULD NOT DAMAGE PEOPLE OR PROPERTY DUE TO A DEAD BATTERY, NOT ABOUT FAA REGULATIONS WHICH I ALREADY KNOW!
2016-6-26
Use props
amelia.bolli01
lvl.2

United States

theisenmr Posted at 2016-6-27 01:56
I haven't used Litchi much yet, but it estimates a 10 minute mission, so if it's a one-way trip and  ...

Nice question, the drone will continue on its programmed mission, regardless of whether it has lost signal.
2016-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules