range on P3P
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wulf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45059 ft
Canada

Hi just like to know about the range on Phantom 3 proI'm on a 160 acer ranch and like to fly from one end to the other about 800 meter from the top of a mountain clear line of sight.
Should I be worried about the distance?
2016-6-26
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 940148 ft
Canada

Lots of posts and video available on the subject here, lots of people fly well over 1km. The actual range for the P3P is around 5km
I've gone to 600m in a city without even as much as a hiccup or any signal degradation.
I'm relatively new to flying Quads vs planes so it made me a little nervous flying out across a river, basically out of sight. But all's well that ends well!

You mention your on top of a mountain, so a couple of things. Make sure your antenna are orientated proper for the whole flight. Also if you take off from a high place you will be flying at a negative height when you go below your take off spot. But you need to take into consideration your RTH spot and how high the area is above your take off spot. You want to make sure your RTH height is set higher than the highest spot the bird may have to fly to get to back home safely.
Oh make sure you know where any power lines are located, as you may not see them on your video feed.
2016-6-26
Use props
Wulf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45059 ft
Canada

Thanks for the reply, Its my own property so no worries about power lines or other obstructions
2016-6-26
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wulf Posted at 2016-6-26 10:43
Thanks for the reply, Its my own property so no worries about power lines or other obstructions

Aloha Wulf,

Sounds to me like you are in Paradise!  Your P3P will handle the patrols very well.  But, with the new Part 107, you will have to stay under 400 feet above ground level, even on your own property since manned aircraft are allowed to fly over your property at 500 feet.  So you may have to do some geometry with your mountain and flatlands so you can eyeball your P3P altitude agl.  

You can use your Vision Positioning System to descend to familiar, flat and unobstructed locations, like rock or dirt flats and when you are ten feet above the flat area, the VPS height above ground will start displaying.  Once you get that display, look at your negative altitude and do the math.  Then you know where ground level is for that area and you can climb up to 400 feet above ground level.  

For example; you descend to minus 700 feet when the VPS kicks in over the rock flats or slight slope.  Now you know that in that area you have to have your P3P stay lower than minus 300 feet from there you and the controller are.  I wonder how many operators are going to think that minus 200 feet is lower than minus 300 feet.  It is actually the opposite.  Minus 400 feet is lower than minus 300 feet.  People are going to have to start thinking like fliers with instruments and calculations or stick to the park.

The cool part is that the new Part 107, that becomes effective August 21st, states that the small and micro UAS will inhabit the area within 400 feet of a structure, man made or natural.  500 feet and away from man made and natural structures will be inhabited by manned aircraft.  So on your mountain, you will be able to go up the mountain as well as down as long as you are less than 400 feet from the structure of the mountain, including the top of the mountain.  This is going to be interesting!  Imagine the views we can get now (or soon).

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules