Crash Help - Will no longer fly forward
3429 21 2016-6-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
billy.shatford
New

United States

I took my DJI for a flight around a friends in the countryside seeing as I hadnt yet had the space to really try and test it.

We were flying it yesterday morning the drone itself is mostly fine by the looks of things aside from a few physical scrapes to the casing and what looks to be a slight bend in its fromt right arm.

However after replacing the propellers and taking it for another test flight the drone was completley fine other than the fact it will no longer fly forward. It will rise and drop fine whilst moving backwards and sideways perfectly but just will not go forward.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how I could attempt to fix this or is expierence in fixing their Phantom 4's?

In regards to how I actually crashed it, i really have no idea. I let go of both sticks so that it would just hover in the air but for some reason the drone kept flying forward and unfortunatley into a telephone cable.
Checked out the flightlogs and they show the same thing, I was not moving either of the control sticks but for some reason the drone moves forward by about 10 meters still, the only movement after that you can see from my end is just after it hits the side of the cable I try to raise the hight so I am then able to steady it (sadly this didnt work and my poor drone came crasing to the ground)

I'm not sure if anyone else has expierence something like that as I feel it may be an error with the drone but do not want to speak to DJI about that until im sure.
2016-6-26
Use props
Dronin Adventur
lvl.2
Flight distance : 399590 ft
United States

Have you tried doing a complete factory reset, re updating the firmware, and then recalibrating all the sensors in ideal conditions (level surface away from civilization)? I myself have never done a factory reset, but I feel as though after crashes like that, a full reset would set things straight?
2016-6-26
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your crash, Billy. First, you can reset the drone via DJI Assistant 2. Then calibrate the IMU and relink the RC and drone.
2016-6-26
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

"Checked out the flightlogs and they show the same thing, I was not moving either of the control sticks but for some reason the drone moves forward by about 10 meters still"

If the flight log says so, you should be able to get a warranty repair.
2016-6-26
Use props
tiansimpson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 593120 ft

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-6-27 11:51
Sorry for your crash, Billy. First, you can reset the drone via DJI Assistant 2. Then calibrate the  ...

Hi sorry to cut in here.

But I have tried a factory reset from the assistant 2 a couple of times and I have not seen any changes in the camera settings, is it supposed to?
2016-6-27
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

tiansimpson Posted at 2016-6-27 16:50
Hi sorry to cut in here.

But I have tried a factory reset from the assistant 2 a couple of times  ...

It is a way to reset the main controller settings but has nothing to do with the camera and gimbal settings.
2016-6-27
Use props
tiansimpson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 593120 ft

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-6-27 17:13
It is a way to reset the main controller settings but has nothing to do with the camera and gimbal  ...

ok thanks.
2016-6-27
Use props
Staffan1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 67349 ft
Sweden

Hey can you see in your flight record if your altitude was on (-)?
2016-6-27
Use props
LD50
lvl.2

Check the forward obstacle avoidance sensors. Is it possible they were damaged or covered with debris during the crash causing it to constantly think there is something directly in front of it?
2016-6-27
Use props
billy.shatford
New

United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-6-27 04:51
Sorry for your crash, Billy. First, you can reset the drone via DJI Assistant 2. Then calibrate the  ...

Hi,

Sadly this did not work, someone else mentioned that I may be able to claim this through warranty as I believe it was a crash caused by a fault with the device.
Is there a way i can prove this to yourselves?
2016-6-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm sorry for your crash, the aircraft will not fly forward if obstacle avoidance is on and you are within 6ft of something, or the crash damaged the front sensors. You can preform a sensor calibration to make sure all is good. Also if you power on and move your hand forward and backwards you should see the red.yellow,green lines and distance change.
Ans if you provide your email I can look at your flight as to why when letting go of the sticks it continued forward and hit something. The only thing I can think of for that is that is was in ATTI mode or you didn't have sufficient GPS coverage but you would have seen that by monitoring the app.
2016-6-27
Use props
billy.shatford
New

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-27 17:07
I'm sorry for your crash, the aircraft will not fly forward if obstacle avoidance is on and you are  ...

Email address is billy.shatford@gmail.com I have synced my flight data, there should be a few flights after the crash that show me testing it out.
2016-6-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

billy.shatford Posted at 2016-6-28 00:14
Email address is  I have synced my flight data, there should be a few flights after the crash that ...

If you can sync again and star the flight as a favorite.
2016-6-27
Use props
billy.shatford
New

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-27 17:16
If you can sync again and star the flight as a favorite.

Done Thanks.
2016-6-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

The starred flight I show everything working correctly. You were hovering perfectly still then I see 100 full climb and the telephone wires must have been right above you because as soon as you gave it throttle it hit and started spinning.
So that's what happened in the original crash, you can play it back in the flight record and see the same thing.
I'll look at the flight after that in a bit.
2016-6-27
Use props
billy.shatford
New

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-27 17:34
The starred flight I show everything working correctly. You were hovering perfectly still then I s ...

It was at the same level as the wires which is why i flicked the stick up.
You can see in the log that after I stopped moving it forward the drone still carried on correct?

That what it shows in my log?
2016-6-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Your crash damaged something internally. I see the GPS no longer working (if you powered up outside) and a compass and max temp errors.
You need to send the aircraft in for repair. But from looking at the flight I don't know if it would be a warranty repair but that's for the repair department to decide and I do not work in that department.
2016-6-27
Use props
billy.shatford
New

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-27 17:39
Your crash damaged something internally. I see the GPS no longer working (if you powered up outsid ...

Thanks very much for your help.

Whats the best way to contact the repair department in the UK?
2016-6-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

billy.shatford Posted at 2016-6-28 00:38
It was at the same level as the wires which is why i flicked the stick up.
You can see in the log  ...

I show at 1:35 you stopped from forward flight and were hovering and then at 1:42 you gave 100% throttle then hit the wires.
But again, call 818-235-0789 and start an RMA and let the repair department do their own evaluation as my evaluation means nothing except giving you the information that I see from the flight.
2016-6-27
Use props
billy.shatford
New

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-27 17:43
I show at 1:35 you stopped from forward flight and were hovering and then at 1:42 you gave 100% th ...

Thanks, my log shows I stopped pushing forward on the controller at 1:20 and the drone still flies forward around 10m.

Is that the number for the UK repairs?
2016-6-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

billy.shatford Posted at 2016-6-28 00:41
Thanks very much for your help.

Whats the best way to contact the repair department in the UK?

Sorry, I thought you were in the US,
GERMANY
+49 (0) 9771-177 3000
support.eu@dji.com
2016-6-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

billy.shatford Posted at 2016-6-28 00:47
Thanks, my log shows I stopped pushing forward on the controller at 1:20 and the drone still flies ...

Mine shows differently, and yes the Germany repair center is responsible for the UK.
2016-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules