Learning to fly - is the tablet required?
771 6 2016-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jhyslop
lvl.1

Canada

Hi,

I'm going to purchase an Inspire v2 shortly (i know, the price has dropped, the Inspire 2 may be just around the corner, etc. etc.).

I figure the best approach is to first learn to control the drone without the mobile device connected and without the camera mounted. Once I am proficient in basic maneuvering, then I'll connect the mobile device and learn the various features of the DJI Go app.

Any thoughts on this approach? Will I be able to fly the drone without the mobile device connected?

2016-6-29
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

I believe it will fly without a tablet but I've never tried it.  The question is would you want to.  There are audio cues and telemetry that wouldn't be available.  Do you not have a phone you could use?  There is a simulator in the app that is very accurate.  I learned to fly it this way.
2016-6-29
Use props
jhyslop
lvl.1

Canada

Alastair Posted at 2016-6-29 22:31
I believe it will fly without a tablet but I've never tried it.  The question is would you want to.  ...

I do have a tablet. My thought was that by not connecting it, I would not be distracted by all the extra controls on the tablet, and could focus on mastering manual maneuvering (apologies for the alliteration). Kind of how a pilot on a full-size plane first learns how to fly without using the autopilot.
2016-6-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

jhyslop@dreampo Posted at 2016-6-30 11:16
I do have a tablet. My thought was that by not connecting it, I would not be distracted by all the ...

You do need to use a mobile device in order to activate the unit and do your initial flight settings. After that, you are able to fly the unit without connecting to a device or using the camera. Please be advised that it would be recommended to use the Go app while flying, so that you can have access to basic telemetry information, battery life or any error messages that may let you know of any potential issues (interference etc). It also helps with initializing the compass calibration process.
2016-6-30
Use props
Rinzler
lvl.3

United States

Yeah what DJI Jamie said. You dont fly a airplane without knowing how much gas you got left do you?
2016-6-30
Use props
jhyslop
lvl.1

Canada

Thanks for the input, everyone.
2016-7-1
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I see the responses you have received from DJI and all. You have the right idea wanting to learn your aircraft but not the correct way to do it.
If you do not have any flying experience with quadcopters, you might want to buy a small one (toy type) to practice on.

The Inspire 1 really needs to have all the controls and features available during flight. This aircraft was not intended to fly without the tablet and DJI App controls. With the lower price ... 35% discount more people are deciding to move up the Inspire 1  but it is not a beginner aircraft and should be treated with respect.

Rich
2016-7-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules