Curious about LED colour choice
1555 9 2016-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jhyslop
lvl.1

Canada

Hi,

I'm curious about the colour choice for the front and rear LEDs on the Inspire line. Does anyone know why DJI chose green for the front and red for the rear, instead of the aviation and nautical standard of red on the left and green on the right?

2016-6-29
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>

As an aviator since 1969, your posting makes sense, however, I'm guessing DJI never considered some day these would be considered real aircraft?
2016-6-29
Use props
alanatabz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29459 ft
United Kingdom

Perhaps. Red = danger.  If you see red lights it means danger (the drone is facing you). Green lights, safe - drone perhaps going away from you.

Then again, the drone is cable of flying in all different directs and as the lights are fixed, you could end up seeing green with a drone coming at you.

2016-6-29
Use props
Hterag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 961978 ft
China

Possibly for the same reason as stock tickers in China show red when the price goes up and green when it goes down. Red is the positive colour, going forwards? DJI isn't the only company to do that, many of the cheap toy ones also use green at the back and orange, yellow, red or some other variety of colours at the front.
2016-6-30
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

alanatabz is correct,  it's as simple as letting you know that if red LEDs are facing you the controls are reversed.  You must push right to go left.
2016-6-30
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I always thought there should be like white lights in the front and Red lights in the back, like a car.  but your Idea makes better aeronautical sense.  I did change one of my other brand of quad around to match DJI so I would not get confused

donnie
2016-6-30
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

alanatabz Posted at 2016-6-30 01:21
Perhaps. Red = danger.  If you see red lights it means danger (the drone is facing you). Green light ...

That is how I thought "Red" is danger, she is coming at me, "Green", I am ok she is going away.  I would rather had it been like "white" lights coming at me like a car and "red" Tail lights as well for going away l.  I guess I am used to it now

donnie
2016-6-30
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

What LED lights??

Just kidding....  They only mean caution when the front of the aircraft is facing you.

No more logic than that I am afraid.

Rich
2016-6-30
Use props
djiuser_fjZUWQE6SRsf
New

Spain

That's an interesting question, i didn't think of that, but maybe it's cause they don't want to relate it as an aircraft... so the LED lights don't get mistaken https;//ndrelectric.com/
2023-11-12
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
Flight distance : 5039731 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would think that's a major mistake. Red always lets me know that the UAS is in thewrong direction as far as left and right, which is important for remote pilots.
2023-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules