Worried about flying my phantom too high
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jdawgs88
lvl.1

Australia

So, I like taking my Phantom 3 4K out for capturing sunsets, but because I'm new, I always get nervous when I fly it too high, Here in Australia, you can only go 150m high, how high would the drone have to be to start reaching an unsafe point, or can the drone go as high as 120m without getting unsafe, I just don't want something to happen to it.
2016-7-1
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If your concern is air traffic, it's not as simple as having a magic height.
Depending on where you are, you can encounter light aircraft and particularly helicopters at lower levels.
eg .. along beaches it's common to see surf patrol helicopters at 30-60 metres.
You have to be aware of your surroundings and what local air traffic is likely to be.
Australia has a lot of wide, open spaces where you'll never see any other aircraft, but there are alsoplaces where this isn't the case.

If you're interested in photography & videos, you'll find that most of the time you'll want to be lower rather than higher anyway.

2016-7-1
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello Jdawgs88, here are some safety tutorials and hope these help:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8-vxWY64sBOmkQQJ2KWNL-uRBZsP43-r
2016-7-2
Use props
robinangered
lvl.2
Flight distance : 870177 ft
Sweden

if you go 150 meter up or 500 meter up, when the engine cut of it will be trash anyway what so ever how high up you are no matter your 40 meter up or 500 when it falls down
2016-7-2
Use props
richard00
lvl.1
Flight distance : 235282 ft
United States

There are issues in coming down. Bring the aircraft down too fast and you'll encounter trouble: wobbles, unstable, and possibly crash. Google "Vortex Ring State" and "Settling with Power."

Solution: Descend slowly (watch how slowly it descends on RTH). Or fly forward, out of the vortex, while descending.
2016-7-2
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 940148 ft
Canada

Not sure what safety you concerned about? These are a few things I keep in mind.

1. Know your area and make sure no manned aircraft are around.
2. Make sure you watch the video about the radio signals. The aircraft antenna are orientated to provide the strongest signal at an angle off the horizontal plane. So when you go hi you need to ensure your bird in far enough in front of you horizontally so you stay within the strongest part of the radio's signal pattern (which is discussed in the video). The higher you go up the further out the bird needs to be to stay within that optimal beam.
3. Winds can change dramatically when going up in altitude. Take your bird out horizontally about 100m then slowly go straight up and see how it reacts as you climb. If you notice it dancing around as it climbs you may be encountering high winds and need to stop climbing and bring it down, so as to stay in control.
4. Don't fly if a storm is coming, even if it seems to be  way out. Conditions could change in a heart beat.

Hope this helps.
2016-7-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

richard00 Posted at 2016-7-2 11:05
There are issues in coming down. Bring the aircraft down too fast and you'll encounter trouble: wobb ...

The motors are now slightly canted on the drone, preventing the death rattle while descending...
But you can also bring in down at an angle instead of 180*. Haha

RedHotPoker
2016-7-2
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Where are you flying that has a 150m flight ceiling?  Most controlled airspace has a ceiling of 120m.

SP_143-1_grande.jpg SP_143-2_1024x1024.jpg

You should be able to set a maximum radius and/or height in your Go app which will limit how high or far you can go.  It is near where you set beginner mode.

I don't think the sunset at 100ft will be much different at 10,000ft.
2016-7-2
Use props
robinangered
lvl.2
Flight distance : 870177 ft
Sweden

endotherm Posted at 2016-7-2 21:34
Where are you flying that has a 150m flight ceiling?  Most controlled airspace has a ceiling of 120m ...

2016-7-2
Use props
04red6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

richard00 Posted at 2016-7-2 13:05
There are issues in coming down. Bring the aircraft down too fast and you'll encounter trouble: wobb ...

The Phantom 3 has been designed to prevent the vortex, with its slanted motors and software that only allows a slower decent. I have taken mine straight up and held the left stick straight down. It will come down fast without flipping.
2016-7-2
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

Beautiful countryside.
Sweden looks alot like Oregon or Wisconsin.  
2016-7-2
Use props
Jdawgs88
lvl.1

Australia

Sorry guys! I meant 120m
2016-7-11
Use props
Capt. Wild Bill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1319180 ft
  • >>>
United States

richard00 Posted at 2016-7-2 13:05

I've been up at 500M & come down full speed without a single issue....
2016-7-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules