How does the Return to Home Height work?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
test1
New

United Kingdom

Hi

Bit of a newb question but how does the Return to Home Height work?

Say I take off on a cliff and send the drone down and then I do a Return to Home, does it go back up to the take off height and THEN add the Return to Home Height on, or does it just do the Return to Home Height from where it's at?
2016-7-3
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

going down the cliff will become a negative height. It will return to the height over take off. Won't add any values.
2016-7-3
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Think that last post might confuse you. The way I understand it is lets say your at 100m above sea level at your home point, and you set your RTH height to 50m. That adds up to 150m above sea level. It's going to fly to 150m above sea level no matter where your flying, so you should be safe. Even though you didn't ask, if your over the 150m height (sea level) when you hit the RTH it doesn't go down to that height, but stays at the current height till it gets back to Home for a landing.
2016-7-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Yes, it does exactly what you suggest, it goes back up to the take-off height plus the RTH height before returning home.
2016-7-3
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

United States

The phantom dosent know what height above sea level it is or below. It sets its take off point to 0 every time so the RTH height is relative to that height no matter what terrain it's flying over.

Take off from 0 feet and fly down -200 feet into valley below. RTH height is set to 100, it will rise 300 up to 100m and come home. If it's set to 100 and you go up to 250 it will RTH at 250.
2016-7-3
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

And for the OP, since you are a newbie, be sure that you set your RTH to an altitude that will clear any and all obstacles in the vicinity.  If you just set it to clear things between home and its shooting location, it could hit something if it goes wrong and ends up somewhere it shouldn't be due to loss of control.
2016-7-3
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Gabe R Posted at 2016-7-3 20:34
The phantom dosent know what height above sea level it is or below. It sets its take off point to 0  ...

Was just using the sea level analogy as a point of reference, not actually meaning it knows that value. The math comes out the same with either example.
2016-7-3
Use props
test1
New

United Kingdom

Thanks all!
2016-7-4
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Glad your question is answered. I suggest you read through the manual for several times, as there are a lot of important information in it.
2016-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules