Attaching a tracker to Phantom 4
2988 14 2016-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kaiser01
New

United Kingdom

Just wondering if attaching a tracker in the manner I have will have any negative impact on the way the Phantom will perform? I've just used plastic cable ties and attached it to the upper back of the landing gear. See below:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
2016-7-3
Use props
kaiser01
New

United Kingdom

Anyone weigh in here?
2016-7-6
Use props
rreindl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

I would think this may interfere with the antenna the leg
2016-7-6
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Rreindl bring up a valid point. In addition, the P4 could become unbalanced it the tracker is heavy. The unit would still maintain level, but it could affect battery life due to trying to compensate.
2016-7-6
Use props
Mallettron
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82641 ft
United Kingdom

Isnt the nut just a bluetooth tracker, no sim or gps?
2016-7-7
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Kaiser,

I haven't figured this out myself yet.  I can tell you what NOT to do based on my trials. Do NOT install a carbon fibre gimbal guard - even a thin one - between the bottom legs and then attach the tracker with Velcro or zip ties to the gimbal guard.  The P4 will be balanced and there will be no impact to battery life, BUT the gimbal guard - even without the tracker attached to it - will interfere with the downward facing VPS sensors generating constant readings of 1-15 feet VPS elevation even when the P4 is hundreds of feet in the air. The gimbal guard and tracker in this location never caused a problem on my P3Pro, but it's a NO GO on the P4.

Since there are HD Link or control antennas in all four legs, mounting tracker to a leg like you did could potentially cause some loss of video and/or control signal when THAT leg was facing the remote controller.  

I would suggest mounting the tracker to the center, top side of one of the bottom horizontal legs.  This should get it out of the way of the camera and the VPS sensors and the extra load will be more balanced over the four rotors. This will also allow you to land the P4 level without the tracker interfering. Battery impact and stress on the P4 system should be minimal - no more than when flying with a 10 mph cross wind. Just make sure the tracker can't rotate inwards around the leg and interfere with the camera gimbal.  I may try this location myself with my own tracker this weekend.
2016-7-7
Use props
kaiser01
New

United Kingdom

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-7-7 19:52
Kaiser,

I haven't figured this out myself yet.  I can tell you what NOT to do based on my trials. D ...

The tracker is very light, around 6g. To Mallettron, yes its just a bluetooth tracker, i wanted to buy the trackimo but felt i would have even more of a problem with suitably mounting it to the P4.

David, I looked into the gimbal guard and was potentially going to buy it. I didn't think about the effect they would have on the VPS sensors so thank you. This is my 1st drone so everything is all new to me. With the nut tracker being only bluetooth would this still interfere with the antenna if I keep it where I have attached it? also how would you recommend attaching it to the top? the tracker came with a small double sided sticky pad but i don't think this will withstand for long.

I will post a couple of more pictures to show a more clear position of where I have attached it:
IMG_3908.JPG
IMG_3909.JPG
2016-7-8
Use props
jruizo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 546545 ft
Spain

Kaiser01,

I have installed my Marco Polo tracker tag (12 grams) horizontally using a small aluminum plate cut from a profile. Look at the attached photo.
Idea was to avoid interferences with possible antennas' wires inside the vertical legs. I have flown four complete batteries at 1,500 ft distance over hills and down valleys without any interferences, and the system seems to calibrate well the possible weight unbalance. I haven't noticed any horizon change and no changes also in batteries endurance.

Marco Polo tracker in Phantom 4

Marco Polo tracker in Phantom 4
2016-7-8
Use props
Mallettron
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82641 ft
United Kingdom

there are many small tracker units
http://www.banggood.com/A9-Mini- ... GPRS-p-1066380.html
30mm x 38mm, it all depends on how you want to track, the best option is to use the dji go app and the map and telemtry as you cannot be certain that the unit will survive, stay upright, be able to get a radio, phone or gps signal
I have the TrakR unit, my intention was to do the same as you on the P4, but not having gps on and not very loud, I decided to use it for my keys, much better
Other people have use the TK102/102 units and a 3d printed mount
2016-7-8
Use props
cerra003
New
United States

Has anyone tried attaching to the P4 top/body somewhere?  Just got a trackimo and was thinking about it

The perforated aluminum mount also looks good
2016-7-9
Use props
djiuser_Cyclone2390
lvl.1
Flight distance : 84065 ft
Australia

jruizo Posted at 2016-7-8 07:54
Kaiser01,

I have installed my Marco Polo tracker tag (12 grams) horizontally using a small aluminum plate cut from a profile. Look at the attached photo.

Hello mate.
Where did you get the "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" banner?  I want one!  I keep forgetting to remove gimbal guard.  I will end up cooking the gimbal motors.
2018-3-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ebay or the like, i used a red carrier bag handle, its perfect lol
2018-3-3
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Gimbal-guard in Israel has all sorts of stuff like that.  Takes about two weeks to ship from Israel to the US.

http://www.gimbal-guard.com/for-phantom-4
2018-3-4
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

cerra003 Posted at 2016-7-9 03:46
Has anyone tried attaching to the P4 top/body somewhere?  Just got a trackimo and was thinking about it

The perforated aluminum mount also looks good

GPS antenna is under the skin on top of the Aircraft. Worst possible scenario to place the tracker there.

Jeff
2018-3-4
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I know its a P3 but Thingiverse has various 3D print mounts that can easily be modified for this job ...

Here's my mounts that are fixed using the leg screws :

Here's a P4 mount that clips to the legs ...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1562291

Nigel
2018-3-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules