Horizon issue - P4
976 9 2016-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
userce01b7d576
lvl.1
Flight distance : 411424 ft
United States

I am not new to Phantoms.  I was using a P2 with H3-3D and gopro 4 black (set up with FPV) for over a year before "upgrading" to the P4.  I find the camera/gimbal to be a complete joke on this P4 - it won't maintain a level horizon at all - and apparently I'm not the only one with this issue.  I look through the videos posted to the DJI page on FB and see crooked horizons all over the place (some people just don't care or notice, but it is the first thing I notice).  I have read posts here and in other groups about the issue and DJI's complete lack of response to the issue.  I've heard the "cold IMU reset", "calibration", etc - and done them.  It doesn't resolve the issue.  Also, trying to correct the horizon while flying isn't a viable solution for a couple reasons: A - it's not smooth, the video clearly shows the camera "clicking" a few degrees to rotate and level, and B - as soon as I move the drone, the horizon is off again.  How is this acceptable in a device created for capturing video/photo footage? I find this to be absolutely unacceptable.  I posted about this on the DJI page a couple days ago, with this video demonstrating the issue, and of course have had no response from DJI - so at this point, I'm doing everything I can to discourage as many people as possible from buying DJI, or if they MUST - look at buying a used P2 with the H3-3D gimbal - which actually WORKED - unlike the integrated one in the P4.

https://www.facebook.com/Photogr ... /10153766132974537/

2016-7-6
Use props
photographybyma
lvl.1
Flight distance : 411424 ft
United States

It's no secret that DJI is more interested in selling large quantities of product that are 'mediocre', and providing sub-par support for the products they do sell.  It would be nice if they took a bit more pride in the quality of the product and the support they provided.
2016-7-7
Use props
jwt873
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

Sadly the tilted horizon is a common thing.  Mine is pretty good, but not quite perfect.   I think ultimately you'll need to send your P4 in for proper calibration..
2016-7-7
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Understand your frustration.  I can tell you it IS possible to get flat horizon performance out of the P4.

I do not use any Gimbal Roll Adjust and I get level horizon or sometimes less than 1 degree tilt 95% of my flights including through multiple turns. Occasionally, if there is a continuous, strong cross wind, or after a turn even with no wind, I will get some tilt - up to 5 degrees, which doesn't look good. Most of the time, if I pivot the P4 slowly left and right once or twice, the tilt will greatly improve. When that doesn't work, I land and wait for wind to die down or power cycle the P4 and take off again, which sometimes fixes the tilt. I do not have to resort to that very often.

My suggestions:
1) Perform cold IMU calibration and camera gimbal calibration on a perfectly flat, stable surface (I use marble counter in my kitchen.)
2) Now TEST the horizon level by turning on grid lines and picking the P4 up off the table and slowly moving around looking at vertical and horizontal structures in your calibration room - corner of walls, bottoms of cabinets, edge of table, etc.  If there is any consistent tilt, then something is wrong: Put the P4 back on the flat surface and calibrate the gimbal AGAIN. Then test it again. Repeat until you get level horizon.
3) I strongly recommend changing the Gimbal Advance Settings, gains and expos as detailed in this forum  post. After making these changes months ago, I find that the P4 re-levels itself more consistently after turns. These settings will also give you smooth pans and tilts - which was their original intent.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 6&fromuid=25539

Hope this helps.
2016-7-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you tried the suggestions in the above post.
Can you please post a quick video clip from the SD card.
2016-7-7
Use props
ciarancassidy4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 234383 ft
Ireland

I am having the same issue now, it has gotten a lot worse lately, out flying tonight and as i was turning it was off by nearly 4 degree's
2016-7-7
Use props
ciarancassidy4
lvl.3
Ireland

here is a video I took last night of the issue

2016-7-7
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would try a factory reset (And/Or a firmware refresh) in DJI Assistant 2, and then carry out the calibrations as above in post 4.
2016-7-8
Use props
ciarancassidy4
lvl.3
Ireland

Aardvark Posted at 2016-7-8 14:09
I would try a factory reset (And/Or a firmware refresh) in DJI Assistant 2, and then carry out the c ...

mine is worse after doing a factory reset and putting in those calibrations, support have asked me to unplug the gimbal and plug it back in
2016-7-8
Use props
OO-RAISER
lvl.2
Flight distance : 118323 ft

Australia

I have to say the last fw really helps. Go and refresh it.Then do the IMU calibration
2016-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules