Best iPad for international use
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sukrg481
lvl.1
Guyana

Dear All,

I live in South America and I am trying to buy an iPad mini 3 or 4 to use with my P3A. My question is, does the iPad need to be factory unlocked (WiFi + Cellular) for the GPS to work in South America?

Thanks

Greg

2016-7-6
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

GPS is the same all over the world and will work everywhere there is a clear view of the sky (with the exception of the north and south poles I believe).  Your iPad needs to be the cellular version to have a GPS receiver in it, the wifi-only version does not.  Apple builds the GPS chips onto the same daughter-board they use for cellular functions, which they clip onto the main board for cellular devices.  It is absent in the wifi versions.
2016-7-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Just to clarify, no, it does not need to be unlocked. As endothern says, if you are sayingf it is cellular+ WiFi, then the GPS will work anyway. And you do not need a cellular plan either, as you can fly quite well without one, the only issue is that you will not get map data in the field. However it is possibnle to cache the map data anyway before you go out to fly.

2016-7-6
Use props
sukrg481
lvl.1
Guyana

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-7 02:00
Just to clarify, no, it does not need to be unlocked. As endothern says, if you are sayingf it is ce ...

Thanks for the response.
2016-7-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The iPad Air2 64gb Cellular is the reigning king of paired devices to fly your Phantom 3 drone with...
I started off with an iPad Mini2 64gb, but it overheated after only one flight battery.
Now I can fly all four of my intelligent flight batteries, and the iPad Air2 remains cool to the touch, throughout.

Just a thought, worth sharing.

RedHotPoker
2016-7-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-7-7 20:37
The iPad Air2 64gb Cellular is the reigning king of paired devices to fly your Phantom 3 drone with. ...

I second that view ^
2016-7-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Hey brother man!
I am still pondering when are the powers that be, up in the top of this forum, going to fix and repair, or please replace the broken PM functionality of the forum.
Yeah so the members whom are still in good standing, who are also friends of the order of the
Phantom. Blood brothers for life... Can continue our conversations? W the H is goin on?
By the way, Say hello to your better halfs, all three of them. Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2016-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules