RTH on Low Battery is Broken w/v2.82 Go app
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mochorm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 940148 ft
Canada

Never had any trouble with RTH on low battery in 50 miles of flying my P3P. Updated the new DJI Go app and now the Xcopter will not return home on a low battery?
Did some further testing today just to confirm. Tried Atti mode as well, no difference.
Smart return is turned on. RTH on low battery set at 30% (changed with same result), critical battery at 10%. When it hits 30% the unit starts beeping and telling me I have a low battery, but nothing saying it is going to RTH, it just keeps beeping? Then at 17% it tells me the battery is low again and does initiate a RTH.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled app twice and no joy. Am I missing something ? Suggestions?

2016-7-8
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha mochorm,

This sounds like a similar (but backward) problem that I experienced when flying in "Follow Me" mode.  I was not using dynamic Home Point, so my home point was set at my takeoff point.  When I was a mile or so away from my take-off point and had gotten down to just above 30 percent, I got the message of low battery, will RTH in 10 seconds.  My P3P never says RTH in 10 secs at 30 percent.  That is because I am always close enough to home at 30 percent that I can lollygag my way home.  This new warning - the opposite you get - caused some emergency actions on my part.  But, for you, apparently, this was the norm.

I think if you fly a course like you have recorded in your flight records where you got the 30 percent RTH warning, it will do so again.  You are not getting that particular warning now because you are not that far from the Home Point.  The flight computer calculates the battery requirements needed to get to the Home Point.  Only if you are near those requirement limits will the RTH warning be announced.  

As a test, let your P3P hover at 30 percent at a distance like it has been previously when it said it will return to home.  It should give you the warning again.  Then you can blaze home like you used to do before the DJI GO upgrade.

When my battery reaches the 20 charges calibration requirement, I let it stay out a bit longer so I am landing at 10 percent or lower.  The bells and whistles do make things exciting, but that is when I get the RTH and landing warnings.  The over-rides work and after landing I get it down to 7 percent by letting the props whirl at idle.  But, usually, I am landing at above 20 percent.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-7-9
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft

my Phantom 3 never did return to home when it first starts beeping it goes on the crucial warning return then return to home it gives you a chance to land it on your own before it's enacted
2016-7-9
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Canada

Thank you for your replies. Definitely interesting that your situation was opposite Cetaman What was your low battery warning set to in the DJI Go app?

As most of my flying has been in the exact same spot it's quite easy to determine when something changes or is amiss.  Nice in a way as it even's out the playing field when trouble shooting!
So something is definitely different after the update.
I used to run with the original battery defaults set 15% for critical and 30% for warning. And my experience was that I got the warning at 30% and the app popped up a screen telling me I have 10 sec. before the bird fly's home automatically. As I'm never more than 400m away in this spot, returning home at 30% was too much fat. So I changed sp's to 10% and 24% and again I would getting a warning at 24% and the offer to cancel the RTH. If I canceled that offer and kept flying I found I would get another warning at 15% and another offer to cancel the RTH (smart part of system?), but at that point allowed it to do so.
And off course at the critical value of 10% it would just want to land immediately.

According to how I interpret the manual that is how it is supposed to work and makes perfect sense to me. Warning is set to lets say 24% so it initiates RTH with the option to cancel; if cancelled. The next warning at 15% (which is not set any place in the app) was likely the smart system figuring I need to RTH now else the battery will run out of juice.

Guess we need DJI to validate exactly what should happen when your battery reaches the low battery setting we enter into the DJI Go app.

2016-7-9
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

I did not fly on the new app yet, I believe there were also 2 updates, on Android at least, within the last week.
As for RTH, my current understanding, on low battery it will notify you that it will RTH in 10 or whatever seconds, and you CAN cancel. I always have my Smart RTH on, so I assume if I were 1 mile from Home, it would take that into calculation and RTH sooner. When the battery gets low enough, it will just autoland, without bothering to RTH - again, may depend on SmartRTH enabled?
So i would blame some of this on SmartRTH system.. and that, i believe, is a function of the app, not the drone.. so a change in the app would make sense to affect it...
Agreed, would be nice for DJI to confirm.
2016-7-9
Use props
digdat0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft

Do you have smart Rth enabled? I think that one does Rth based on battery.
2016-7-9
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Canada

Phantomski, sounds like you and I are on the same page. Hopefully DJI personal will confirm!

digdat0, yes smart RTH is enabled.
2016-7-9
Use props
04red6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

That is the way it is supposed to work. At 30% it tells you that your battery is low. If you keep flying, it estimates your battery level and distance from home to determine when smart return will kick in, in this case it was 17%. If you cancel that and keep flying, at your setting of 10% critical level it will return to home on its own and or land in place. I might be a little off on the description. But it is close to what I have explained. Check your owners manual. It is more clear.
2016-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules