X5R OSMO Stepped Focusing
1369 7 2016-7-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rawfun
New

United States

Hey Guys!

I wanted to ask you guys if you have noticed the clear stepped behavior when focusing using the app on the osmo and X5 and X5r.  I assume is due to the focus being control digitally instead of mechanically. Have any of you tried the same setup with the dji follow focus control?  Does it change the behaviour at all?  

It really messes with your footage when you are trying to do a traditional smoth rack focus (Specially on wide open apertures)

I made a crappy video so you can clearly see what I am talking about, using the 15mm

2016-7-10
Use props
Jonathandear
lvl.2
Australia

I can't comment myself as Im still waiting on my X5 on backorder. But I'm following as I'm interested.

I have the focus cable and I will pickup the focus as soon as I can. Im really hoping it fixes this issue as this sort of stepping is not pleasant :/
2016-7-11
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, dear customer. The performance in the video is normal. We'll keep improving our app to better serve the users.
2016-7-11
Use props
chubauk
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Jonathandear Posted at 2016-7-12 02:09
I can't comment myself as Im still waiting on my X5 on backorder. But I'm following as I'm intereste ...

Focus is not stepped using the controller. It's smooth. We desperately need focus peaking, though.
2016-7-12
Use props
rj74
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

chubauk@gmail.c Posted at 2016-7-12 12:36
Focus is not stepped using the controller. It's smooth. We desperately need focus peaking, though.

I don't think DJI can add peaking to the Osmo part of the app because the wifi feed is so heavily compressed the footage isn't of enough quality distinguish between in and out of focus.
On the Inspire controller the feed is via Lightbridge and USB and the image is much higher quality and peaking works in the Inspire part of the app quite nicely.
I find that the focus controller is pretty useless without focus assist.
2016-7-12
Use props
Jonathandear
lvl.2
Australia

@rawfun - what phone are you using for control? I had someone mention the iphone6 worked better than their Android s7e for focus.

Is this you tapping areas  to focus or using the + and - controls?

I'm glad to hear the focus is smooth.

Agreed peaking would be amazing but plenty of DSLR shooters don't have peaking and can pull focus wide open with practice. (not me at all)

At least being able to zoom in and focus and maybe preset focus custom points would be amazing if you can't add peaking.

I would buy a dedicated DJI monitor for the osmo pro if it meant a hardwired cable into it for better quality and peaking.

Give us some options dji!!
2016-7-12
Use props
chubauk
lvl.3

United Kingdom

rj74@me.com Posted at 2016-7-12 19:55
I don't think DJI can add peaking to the Osmo part of the app because the wifi feed is so heavily  ...

That'd be a real shame. Focus assist with the controller would be good, although for fast action I could so use focus peaking.

DJI should have made it clear that you would not get the same functionality.
2016-7-13
Use props
rj74
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jonathandear Posted at 2016-7-13 00:47
@rawfun - what phone are you using for control? I had someone mention the iphone6 worked better than ...

DSLR have a sharp image on the screen and often use a loop, or they have a nice sharp EVF image,
The osmo wifi feed to the phone is mush, it's impossible to determine accurate focus.
Only possible to accurately pre focus using the AF, so what's the point of the focus controller.
2016-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules