Cleaning your drone?
7677 19 2016-7-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ratskiss
lvl.4
Flight distance : 349419 ft
Canada

I know certain cleaners can actually cause the break down of certain plastic materials. I am new to Pantom so I was working on my flying abilities in the back yard and flew a few circuits and flew up to about 35 meters then finally landed safly where I had started. What I noticed though was that my nice white quadracopter was now covered in bug guts. I must have flown through a swarm of gnats or something. So with the reports of stress cracks on some units could it be a cleaner that is too harsh weakening the plastic? What would, or do you use to wipe down your drone?
2016-7-13
Use props
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

if I cant get the bugs off with a dry cloth ( which seems to have worked really well), I dampen it a bit with just water
2016-7-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Bring it into the shower, some gel good back scrub towel dry some deodorant and a couple of hours sleep,
All it needs is damp cloth, slightly soapy water, do not let it get wet.
2016-7-13
Use props
Taylored Video
lvl.2
Flight distance : 574823 ft
  • >>>
United States

the craziest i would get is window washer fluid for your car with the bug and rainx mix
2016-7-13
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

A little bit of rubbing alcohol on a cleaning cloth should be fine in moderation.
2016-7-13
Use props
ratskiss
lvl.4
Flight distance : 349419 ft
Canada

I was hoping that humour would be there to lighten the topic. Damp cloth worked fine, what a mess. Dexter would have been proud. I'm not sure I would use alcohol though.
2016-7-13
Use props
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

I havent had a flight where it came back with out some kinda bug smear on it, mostly my props, only once had to use damp cloth.... wonder what kinda mess a seagull or small bird would leave... dont wanna be the one to find out tho
2016-7-13
Use props
jwt873
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

I've managed to slice and dice my share of bugs    For cleaning, I just use a micro-fiber cloth dampened with plain water.   You could use an ordinary face cloth or towel, but I'm a fan of micro-fiber cloth because it's nice and soft.
2016-7-14
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

My copter wacks the most bugs during the morning hours, when the wind is nice and calm. Sometimes, you can see the guts being fling past in front of the camera.
2016-7-14
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>

I would recommend flying it through the local auto-car wash.  Does the trick every-time.

On a lighter note, I use a micro-fiber cloth with dry-erase board cleaner...its not quite as strong as rubbing alcohol and works awesome.  I also use it to wipe down my controller as sometimes it gets a little dirty.  Happy flying
2016-7-14
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 940148 ft
Canada

Same issue as you with the bugs! Some day's it looks like a bloody massacre took place !

As with most plastic surfaces harsh chemicals and solvents should NEVER be used, as it prematurely dries out the plastic. I usually use a small amount of dish soap and a damp rag.

If that isn't enough then you can try a high quality interior car cleaner like Meguiar's Interior Detailer and AreoSpace 303 to protect it afterwards. These products are made to be used on plastic surface's and from my experience these two products work great.
2016-7-14
Use props
user410e081528
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2283609 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use awindow cleaner like windex. I spray it into a micro fiber cloth and then wipe and clean. I do the same with my propellers often.
2016-7-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I wear eye glasses, so I always have a couple bottles of lens cleaning fluid, and disposable lens cloths.
A clean Micro fiber cloth would be my next choice. Dampen it lightly with the cleaner, or a couple drops of 99% isopropanol.
My white rotor blades, often return home, with a few spots... Minor irritation.

RedHotPoker
2016-7-14
Use props
stormtrooper101
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I use microfibre cloth and plain water as well.  Then I finish with Novus 1 plastic cleaner and polish. Bug splats don't seem to stick as well after a coat of Novus...
2016-7-14
Use props
michael_judd
lvl.1

United States

Same here I use a auto trim (plastic) cleaner, then wax. Bugs almost slide right off.
2016-7-14
Use props
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

I have been using simple green with no problems.
2016-7-16
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

A Belt sander might do the job.  

Really though, a damp paper towel seems to do the trick.  That said, I am AMAZED at how many bugs have red blood.  Sometimes my drone comes home to me and there are red streaks all over the blades and top of the shell.  Looks like a massacre happened.  I live in CT, if anyone knows what kind of flying bugs have red blood, I'm interested.
2016-7-16
Use props
Mallettron
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82641 ft
United Kingdom

Read somewhere about using wet wipes/baby wipes, ideal to keep in the car, dont know if the chemicals would attack the plastic
2016-7-16
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 940148 ft
Canada

Mabou2 Posted at 2016-7-16 13:05
A Belt sander might do the job.  

Really though, a damp paper towel seems to do the trick.  That sa ...

The ones that bite you, like mosquitoes
2016-7-16
Use props
IIIDaemon
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules