Phantom 4 Tablets for DJI Go
13288 38 2016-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
saenter2000
New
United States

Hi Group,
I'm hopping someone can help me find a compatible tablet to use the DJI GO app. I just bought a Phantom 4 and thought my
Samsung Galaxy S 3 phone would work, it has Android 4.4.2. But I have been unable to use the GO App once downloaded.
I called support and they walked me through some troubleshooting and that did not work. Guess my phone is just to old for the app even though it has the new Android 4.4.2.  I don't really want to buy a new phone and would really like a tablet. I have been looking at the Samsung Notes as that is what I'm most familiar with. I would really like something not to expensive and in the 7 to 10 inch range.
As of right now my Phantom 4 is just a very expensive paperweight . LOL
Any Suggestions?
Thanks,
_Steven

2016-7-17
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello Steven, here is a support list of the mobile devices. Hope it helps: 兼容列表.JPG
2016-7-19
Use props
latiniceman
lvl.1

United States

Greetings Steven!! I too had concerns about tablet compatibility for my Samsung Note 10.1 would not work due to older android OS. Although not on DJI's list of compatible tablets, I just purchased the Samsung Tab A 9.7 and it works flawlessly!! It's available on Amazon for $229 and the 8" for about $179. I did however, notice just a very little amount of pixelation due to frequency interference. Depending on conditions where you live, you may have to go to the frequency settings and utilize the slider feature that allows for better picture quality at the cost of a very little range. This normally happens at low altitude for me, but once I get up there, the issue is gone. Again, depending on conditions where you are, you may not experience this issue. I am VERY happy with this unit!! Good Luck
2016-7-19
Use props
tiansimpson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 593120 ft

Hi there
I used to use my galaxy note 4, however I had some issues. I was not keen on the small screen size although its larger that a lot of phones. So now I use IPad mini 2 no other apps on the device other than Phantom related ones so I keep it exclusively for my P4 and I've never had a problem
2016-7-19
Use props
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

I use an Ipad mini 2 ( works really well) and a samsung galaxy note 10.1, which lags a bit, video cant quite keep up with the video it seems. I also use a active 6s samsung phone
2016-7-19
Use props
thorsten.yachtc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287884 ft
China

Hello Steven,
Sorry for.
I have a s5 of Samsung so I'm fine.. in the moment. But... the screen is pretty small for a good flight. At least if you go up to 500m ., u fly just by fpv. So I decide I get a tablet. And just because I have already Android I got a galaxy tab2 9.7
It is not on the list of DJI.but it works just awsom. Huge screen..easy to use the tab-fly. 9 hours battery. Just as a Apple device... but more cheap.
But.. it doesn't fit in the given box. Therfor you should use a 8 inch.
The telecom I only use as a backup device... in case the DJi software crashes on the tablet. ( had one time) the p4 still will fly. You have still control as far it is in your vie and you can see it.
May u should decide to get a  2 generation phone. Like a S5. Its doing the job . Android 6.01 I have on
cheers
2016-7-19
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Get an iPad mini 4 and use it only for your phantom. It worked flawlessly with my P4. One less thing you will have to worry about.
2016-7-19
Use props
Jan Jensen
lvl.3
Denmark

nvidia shield k1 8" works 100% and only 200$ and it's ANDROID.
2016-7-19
Use props
joopers
lvl.1

United States

Jan Jensen Posted at 2016-7-19 16:21
nvidia shield k1 8" works 100% and only 200$ and it's ANDROID.

Is there anyone using a device to where there's no video problems during flight?? I'm still getting a lot of lag and breaking up/pixelization during flight??
2016-7-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

joopers Posted at 2016-7-20 14:01
Is there anyone using a device to where there's no video problems during flight?? I'm still gettin ...

Yeah, the iPad Air 2 works perfectly.
2016-7-19
Use props
jokeracing
New

I used mini iPad 2 and it was pretty good. Not any lag or noticeable to me. Wasnt mine though and not interested in buying an apple product
Samsung Tab A 8" worked with some minor pixelization slight lag. Not very noticeable. Returned though because when editing ontablet with dji app it would not save. Video would just disappear???
Picked up a Nexus 7 2013 32GB tablet from craigslist and it has been great so far. No lag or pixelization yet. Took it out for 2 flights and was good. Plus the price is anywhere from 80-140 for these.
I was going to pick up a Samsung Tab S2 but didnt want to spend all that money on a tablet dedicated to my drone. Wifes already alittle pissed the kids got me the Phantom 4 with 2 extra battteries for Fathers Day.

Hope this helps alittle.
2016-7-19
Use props
joopers
lvl.1

United States

I'm using a mini 2 as well. Are you using the updated software? Or should I downgrade to a previous version?
2016-7-20
Use props
ronstitt2015
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178773 ft

Can someone give me some idea how to use DJI GO on a galaxy pro tablet that has android 4.2.2 (kitkat) on it. when I try to download it is says "your device isn't compatible with this version"  DJI says version 2.8.2 IS compatible with my android device. How can I get that version for my tablet?  Before some one says update the tablet......the galaxy tab pro can't be upgraded with doing a "jailbreak" on it as Samsung has decided not to update this device.   Thanks for any help.
2016-7-20
Use props
saenter2000
New
United States

latiniceman@gma Posted at 2016-7-19 04:44
Greetings Steven!! I too had concerns about tablet compatibility for my Samsung Note 10.1 would not  ...

HI latiniceman,
Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate your time.
_Steven
2016-7-20
Use props
saenter2000
New
United States

[b]I want to thank everybody for taking the time to reply and for the advice given. It's appreciated .
2016-7-20
Use props
marc16
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1196778 ft
  • >>>
United States

joopers Posted at 2016-7-20 13:48
I'm using a mini 2 as well. Are you using the updated software? Or should I downgrade to a previous  ...

I have used the iPhone 6S, iPad mini 2, and the iPad Pro 7.9" and I enjoy the iPad mini 2 the most.  The size is right for the case and the controller.  The interface is clear and reliable.  Flying the P4 with all of these devices was easy but the mini just seems to fit the bill for the P4.

I purchased the iPad mini 2 with just 16GB of storage since I plan to use it only for the Phantom.  $229 well spent for the job it does in my opinion.  
2016-7-20
Use props
latiniceman
lvl.1

United States

saenter2000@yah Posted at 2016-7-21 07:18
HI latiniceman,
Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate your time.
_Steven

You're very welcome my friend!!
2016-7-20
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

ronstitt2015 Posted at 2016-7-21 01:52
Can someone give me some idea how to use DJI GO on a galaxy pro tablet that has android 4.2.2 (kitka ...

Hi, download it here, and see if it can install on your tablet

https://apkpure.com/dji-go/dji.pilot
2016-7-20
Use props
ronstitt2015
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178773 ft

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-21 15:19
Hi, download it here, and see if it can install on your tablet

https://apkpure.com/dji-go/dji.pi ...

Thanks! that worked.  I was able to load DJI-GO 2.8.2 with no problem.
2016-7-21
Use props
kejado70
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39012 ft
Australia

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy TAB A 9.7" and it's working fine.

2016-7-21
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

I am looking at tablets also (currently using a S5).

Does the tablet need GPS or does the RC have GPS for follow me and mapping features?
2016-7-22
Use props
sunny051488
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183891 ft
United States

bro, the galaxy s3 is so old now, do yourself a favor and get a 16gb ipad mini 4. I just bought mine a week ago and the P4 2 weeks ago and had a flawless experience with the app running on the ipad.
2016-7-22
Use props
Roadstar1700
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1203484 ft
United States

joopers Posted at 2016-7-20 00:01
Is there anyone using a device to where there's no video problems during flight?? I'm still gettin ...

I have a Nexus 7 II with the frequency set to channel 20 in manual. At times I would get lag on the live feedback. Just yesterday I noticed that there were 2 DJI GO apps running, so I shut down the one with the older time stamp and the lag went away. From now on I will check the running apps before I launch the Go app.
2016-7-22
Use props
Joopers7
lvl.1

United States

I reloaded the current software and with my Samsung S5 it works great!! Now just need a new tablet so I can have a bigger screen!!
2016-7-22
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

sunny051488 Posted at 2016-7-22 12:14
bro, the galaxy s3 is so old now, do yourself a favor and get a 16gb ipad mini 4. I just bought mine ...

If you are talking to me, I have the 5, not 3.
2016-7-22
Use props
sunny051488
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183891 ft
United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2016-7-22 17:22
If you are talking to me, I have the 5, not 3.

Oops, i should've hit reply to the first post. i was talking about the original poster who said he had an S3.
2016-7-25
Use props
jsparks349
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3671 ft
United States

Samsung Galaxy S2 9.7" tablet works great.
2016-7-26
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

ronstitt2015 Posted at 2016-7-21 11:13
Thanks! that worked.  I was able to load DJI-GO 2.8.2 with no problem.

2.8.2 had video issues.  2.8.1 was much better.  Or use the 2.8.4

I would not use 2.8.2 for ios.
2016-7-26
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Do you need the ipad mini 2 with cellular?  I think that is the option which has GPS receiver? The current RC does not have a GPS receiver. One can add an external one, but why bother?  More things to go wrong and the last thing you want to go wrong is GPS tracking!

I looked at the specs at apple store and they show
  • Assisted GPS and GLONASS only for the wifi+Cellular option.

2016-7-26
Use props
Andy B
lvl.1
Flight distance : 252520 ft
Australia

I bought a Samsung Tab A a six months ago with gps and paid just over $500 AUD, Dji go 4 app with its recent update just killed it.
2017-5-5
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2887251 ft
United States

Not trying to hijack this thread, but along the same lines of what tablets work best, I have a newly acquired Phantom 4. I am currently using an iPhone 7 plus, and it is fine. However, I can see wanting to move to a dedicated tablet to use exclusively for the Phantom 4.

My question is this; regardless of what table you get, what do I lose if it does not have a GPS chip installed? I still cannot find that answer. The air craft obviously has a native GPS, the controller does not, so how will that effect what I do with the quad? I just can't see having to pay for a cell+data plan on say, an iPad mini, for this, or do I really need it?

Thanks,
2017-5-5
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BearDrone Posted at 2017-5-5 08:31
Not trying to hijack this thread, but along the same lines of what tablets work best, I have a newly acquired Phantom 4. I am currently using an iPhone 7 plus, and it is fine. However, I can see wanting to move to a dedicated tablet to use exclusively for the Phantom 4.

My question is this; regardless of what table you get, what do I lose if it does not have a GPS chip installed? I still cannot find that answer. The air craft obviously has a native GPS, the controller does not, so how will that effect what I do with the quad? I just can't see having to pay for a cell+data plan on say, an iPad mini, for this, or do I really need it?

It will affect the 'Follow Me' intelligent flight mode, where the aircraft follows the RC, to do this the RC needs to have its GPS co-ordinates available (not to be confused with 'Active Track').

You would also lose the ability to change the Home Point to the RC position, which can be done in flight, once again because RC co-ordinates wouldn't be available.

The Apple wifi only devices do not have GPS as this function is built into the cell chip.

So to get GPS on an Apple device it needs to be a cellphone device, although a SIM card is not required for GPS to operate.
2017-5-5
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-5-5 08:42
It will affect the 'Follow Me' intelligent flight mode, where the aircraft follows the RC, to do this the RC needs to have its GPS co-ordinates available (not to be confused with 'Active Track').

You would also lose the ability to change the Home Point to the RC position, which can be done in flight, once again because RC co-ordinates wouldn't be available.

Aardvark,
Thanks for the reply and the info. That's helpful.
Would you happen to know if I have to actually activate cell service on an iPad to get the GPS signal functionality? In other words, can I just buy the iPad model with the cell/gps, but not actually activate the service with a monthly plan, etc.??
Thanks again.
Michael
2017-5-5
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BearDrone Posted at 2017-5-5 08:53
Aardvark,
Thanks for the reply and the info. That's helpful.
Would you happen to know if I have to actually activate cell service on an iPad to get the GPS signal functionality? In other words, can I just buy the iPad model with the cell/gps, but not actually activate the service with a monthly plan, etc.??

As far as I'm aware no cell plan is required, Apple in their wisdom chose to incorporate the GPS function on the cell chip, I'm sure somebody with a cell ipad can jump in to confirm. I have a wifi only iPad pro 9.7 which meets all my needs, although a touch pricey it does the job well.
2017-5-5
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
United States

Thanks. I"m looking at the iPad with the 9.7" display, so that's why I'm asking about the GPS chip. Yea, that is odd to incorporate the two discrepant pieces of hardware into one model.
2017-5-5
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

BearDrone Posted at 2017-5-5 12:01
Thanks. I"m looking at the iPad with the 9.7" display, so that's why I'm asking about the GPS chip. Yea, that is odd to incorporate the two discrepant pieces of hardware into one model.

So far I have tested with both an iPad Mini 2 and a Asus Zenpad S 8 Z580C.  Both work about the same with some minor video lag and pixelazation at times.

iPad WIfi-only models have no built in GPS, so some flight options like follow me will not work.  Resetting the home point from RC also fails when no GPS is built in to tablet.

The Asus Zenpad had built in GPS so those limitations dont apply for it.

For non tablet flying, I Use an iPhone 7, which has zero issues with video.  However its screen is smaller and getting phone calls during flight causes interruptions.
2017-5-6
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
United States

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2017-5-6 02:19
So far I have tested with both an iPad Mini 2 and a Asus Zenpad S 8 Z580C.  Both work about the same with some minor video lag and pixelazation at times.

iPad WIfi-only models have no built in GPS, so some flight options like follow me will not work.  Resetting the home point from RC also fails when no GPS is built in to tablet.

Thanks very much for the input Ed. Yes, I am using the iPhone 7 Plus, and it's functionality has been great. No lag, and the image is great. The problem is my eyes, at middle age, aren't!

The screen is just a little too small, but I suppose I should be grateful for the Plus instead of the regular iPhone screen.

I'm not wed to the iPad's necessarily, although I am a long time Mac user, so I do need to do my research on other Android based tablets too. Seems there are many great options out there.

Thanks again for your input. Very helpful.

Regards, Michael
2017-5-6
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

BearDrone Posted at 2017-5-6 03:42
Thanks very much for the input Ed. Yes, I am using the iPhone 7 Plus, and it's functionality has been great. No lag, and the image is great. The problem is my eyes, at middle age, aren't!

The screen is just a little too small, but I suppose I should be grateful for the Plus instead of the regular iPhone screen.

I think the iPad Mini 4 is probably the best bet, but with GPS, its in the $500+ range.  The Asus unit was $175.
2017-5-6
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

latiniceman@gma Posted at 2016-7-19 01:44
Greetings Steven!! I too had concerns about tablet compatibility for my Samsung Note 10.1 would not work due to older android OS. Although not on DJI's list of compatible tablets, I just purchased the Samsung Tab A 9.7 and it works flawlessly!! It's available on Amazon for $229 and the 8" for about $179. I did however, notice just a very little amount of pixelation due to frequency interference. Depending on conditions where you live, you may have to go to the frequency settings and utilize the slider feature that allows for better picture quality at the cost of a very little range. This normally happens at low altitude for me, but once I get up there, the issue is gone. Again, depending on conditions where you are, you may not experience this issue. I am VERY happy with this unit!! Good Luck

I too got the 9.7 inch Tab A has worked flawlessly so far, except for the occasional interference like you say, but I suspect that happens on a lot of tabs and phones....I used my Motorola droid turbo 2 phone before I got the tablet....it too would get occasional interference.....but anyone looking for a cheap big tab that works very well I definitely suggest a tab A...things are much easier to see when you have a 10 inch screen.
2017-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules