Landing gear issues after a crash
908 4 2016-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
atfjan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 195748 ft
United States

I was flying at night well out of view above traffic to get some long exposure light trails. When returning to home I hit a telephone wire and the bird dropped about 30 ft. Can't blame that one on a firmware update. Broke two props and cracked the front two secondary arms but not completely severed. I repaired the arms with fiberglass tape and resin and now as sturdy as new. Made several flights since and everything is working perfect except after about 2 to 3 minutes into a flight the landing gear slowly creeps down about half way. I manually lower then raise the gear via the RC and it stays up for a few minutes then lowers again. It raises up fully on takeoff and lowers on landing so it doesn't appear to be any binding. Any ideas on this?

2016-7-23
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Sounds like the worm gear is stripped on the main spline for the landing gear or the servo motor gears are stripped on the landing gear servo.  I would expose the screw from the protective boot and see if there are any shavings from striped gears.  

It will need a tear-down, if you are handy then go for it , or just send it in.  If you choose the former - I have found when taking thinks apart that video and pic's are priceless, also label all wires and connections.

good luck

donnie
2016-7-23
Use props
atfjan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 195748 ft
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-7-23 15:04
Sounds like the worm gear is stripped on the main spline for the landing gear or the servo motor gea ...

Thank you Donnie. Not a fan of being without it for weeks so I'll dig into it. Spent 40 years as a machinist and professional tinkerer. Yep, I take pics of most disassemblies.
2016-7-23
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

atfjan Posted at 2016-7-23 13:49
Thank you Donnie. Not a fan of being without it for weeks so I'll dig into it. Spent 40 years as a ...

Could be the motor or circuit board for the gear too.  you may decide to replace the center part yourself ... here is the link for a new center section
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Insp ... :g:-UIAAOSwnLdWsmsx

Rich
2016-7-23
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

atfjan Posted at 2016-7-23 15:49
Thank you Donnie. Not a fan of being without it for weeks so I'll dig into it. Spent 40 years as a ...

So not your first Rodeo ........

Have fun

donnie
2016-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules