Range Extender options?
2793 35 2016-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rgrebby
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I've been flying the drone for a while now and havnt taken it much past 300m as it starts to loose connection with the controller.

So I think i'd prefer to get something that will boost the signal somewhat and make sure I dont receieve any loss. Any suggestions as to one thats trustworthy and wont break the bank too much.

Many thanks,

2016-7-26
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is what I use. Works great.

2016-7-26
Use props
fred.higton
lvl.1

United States

If you are OK with voiding the warranty of the remote and potentially the aircraft as well, then proceed.

With all the open bugs with the P4's still being worked out and related needs for sending the units into the service department, I am holding off on installing mine until warranty has expired.

2016-7-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Which aircraft do you have. I'm guessing you have the Standard and flying in some interference since you are only getting 300m instead of the 500m in CE mode.
You've watched the antenna positioning video correct? If not watch it and it may help you some.

2016-7-26
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

This works great! http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadc ... aPWiqHnYaArfo8P8HAQ
2016-7-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

UCLABruins Posted at 2016-7-27 01:09
This works great! http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopter-parts/pp_354800.html?currency=USD&gclid=Cj0K ...

for that price and they slip on, doesn't hurt to try.
2016-7-26
Use props
fred.higton
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-26 11:59
Which aircraft do you have. I'm guessing you have the Standard and flying in some interference since ...

Since this thread is tagged for the Phantom 4, I assume he has the Phantom 4.
2016-7-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fred.higton@gma Posted at 2016-7-27 02:57

For the aircraft to get 300m, that's really bad range for a P4
I have no way of knowing it's what Phantom thread when I'm in my forum tools. I'd have to search the individual sections to see what aircraft it is in.
2016-7-26
Use props
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

fred.higton@gma Posted at 2016-7-26 14:57

I just purchased a controller on ebay and the maxx range dbs mod kit, I will post play by play n let you kno how it works

by the by 120 for controller n 145 for the extender, pricy but wont void my warrenty on my original controller... kno a guy selling a modded controller with same exyender for 450
2016-7-26
Use props
dead fred
lvl.1

United States

Good idea Heebus. ;)
2016-7-26
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

get a used p3 controller and do the mod on it and link it to your p4.  That way your p4 controller stays factory.  
2016-7-26
Use props
gsxr07boy
lvl.2

Fdr drones has the best setup I have seen yet. And that is the one I will be getting. It's a boosted antenna made just for the p4 and p3
2016-7-26
Use props
rgrebby
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-26 16:59
Which aircraft do you have. I'm guessing you have the Standard and flying in some interference since ...

I thought there was only one version of Phantom 4?

Whats CE mode?
2016-7-26
Use props
thorsten.yachtc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287884 ft
China

Some one tryed an ITE-DBS02 antenna? I'm cerious if that works as they say...
2016-7-26
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

rgrebby Posted at 2016-7-27 15:08
I thought there was only one version of Phantom 4?

Whats CE mode?

CE mode is a signal mode mandated by governments in Europe, it has a lower limit for maximum signal strength than users using FCC mode . So for the same drone, it will perform better in the rest of the world, using FCC than in Europe, including UK.

He thought you were referring to Phantom 3.  If you have Phantom 4 and flies only 300 meters in open field, the drone may have some issues and need to send in for repair.  Try somewhere open with few interference, like a farm, and see how far it can fly.
2016-7-27
Use props
rgrebby
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-27 09:05
CE mode is a signal mode mandated by governments in Europe, it has a lower limit for maximum signa ...

Ah thanks for the info, so this is a setting that cant be changed as I need to have it on CE mode in the UK.

I watched te video mentioned above and it does look like im putting the aerials straight out instead of of up. This might be the reason for crap range.
2016-7-27
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

rgrebby Posted at 2016-7-27 18:23
Ah thanks for the info, so this is a setting that cant be changed as I need to have it on CE mode  ...

Hi, it's suggested that you read through your manual for a few times before you fly, so you can reduce the risk of losing it.
2016-7-27
Use props
editman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2349298 ft
Sweden

I put together a simple reflector to get better transmission and so far I have reached more than 4000 meters. It depends on height also as so crushing upwards makes long flights possible. So far it has been the battery that stops me from going any further. If there's lots of stuff in the way like trees or buildings reach is limited.
2016-7-27
Use props
editman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2349298 ft
Sweden

I put together a simple reflector to get better transmission and so far I have reached more than 4000 meters. It depends on height also as so crushing upwards makes long flights possible. So far it has been the battery that stops me from going any further. If there's lots of stuff in the way like trees or buildings reach is limited.
2016-7-27
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

The P4 works different than the P3 though. I wonder if that mod will work on the P4?  It seems that he also had video at 3 miles out too on the P3!

I get better video on a P3A than a P4 flying the same exact area same device.
2016-7-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-7-27 21:39
The P4 works different than the P3 though. I wonder if that mod will work on the P4?  It seems that  ...

The P3P and P3A have the same radio and should give you the same range.
2016-7-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

rgrebby Posted at 2016-7-27 17:23
Ah thanks for the info, so this is a setting that cant be changed as I need to have it on CE mode  ...

You cannot change from CE to FCC mode, it's based on your location when you power up the aircraft.
2016-7-27
Use props
rgrebby
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-27 11:00
Hi, it's suggested that you read through your manual for a few times before you fly, so you can re ...

truly helpful, thanks..
2016-7-27
Use props
SkyPod.nyc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 170151 ft
United States

rgrebby Posted at 2016-7-27 10:06
truly helpful, thanks..

Hi Folks,

Just  a quick heads up.

I sent a DJI Controller to FDRDroneModifications.com to be modified  with SMA connectors for an external antenna. The website looks legit but they  disappeared. They have my  controller and I'll likely never see it again. Just fair warning because they show many seemingly useful DJI accessories on their website. There's even a phone number for a guy named Freddy. Should be named Fraudy!

You can leave messages and emails but you'll never get a response. After a little detective work it appears he ran another bogus operation.

I filed a claim with PayPal and they were able to recover the money, but the brand new controller I sent him to modify is a lost cause I'm afraid.

Deadbeat. Be forewarned.
2016-9-2
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

SkyPod.nyc Posted at 2016-9-2 10:08
Hi Folks,

Just  a quick heads up.

wow that is terrible, sorry to hear that.  If you decide to get another controller maxxuav sells brand new ones that are all ready modified.   www.maxxuav.com   I have dealt with them multiple times and they are first class all the way.  
2016-9-2
Use props
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

SkyPod.nyc Posted at 2016-9-2 23:08
Hi Folks,

Just  a quick heads up.

I bought a remote from ebay for $120 and linked it to my drone, also bought a maxxrange panel from maxxuav.ca and more then tripled my distance since. No need to go that far I guess, but just so you kno u can get a replacement rc fairly cheap, not the 500 dji wants for one
2016-9-2
Use props
stephen_carney
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70873 ft
Australia

I have bought one of these http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopter-parts/pp_354800.html, for $3.64 who cares

Also http://www.gearbest.com/fpv-system/pp_229045.html for $9, lol the shipping was more expensive than the items.

If they get here to Australia, great!! if they work, even better !!!!!
2016-9-2
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-7-27 09:02
The P3P and P3A have the same radio and should give you the same range.

Aloha Ken,

What Icarus said, "I get better video on a P3A than a P4 flying the same exact area same device."  That is exactly true for my P3P and P4.  For some reason, my P4 gets crappy live view.  I have to use the parabolas just to get a half decent signal.  Any ideas?  BTW, we are talking about live view here.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-9-2
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-7-27 08:39
The P4 works different than the P3 though. I wonder if that mod will work on the P4?  It seems that  ...

Aloha Icarus,

You got that one right!  My P3P also gets much better live feed video than my P4.  I posted DJI Ken on that in this thread.  One reason for my parabolic extenders is so my P4 can get decent live feed video.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-9-2
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Thank you for confirming this.  I have been asking about a potential resolution to this video issue for a few weeks now!  Everyone is pointing to the device, but why should the same device and same RC get better distance on the P3A than the P4.  The only variable is the P4.  I am also thinking that the P4 channel management is not optimized yet to choose the "clean" channels during flight.

I got some improvement using the reflectors and my test results are not finalized using the itelite booster.....
(I obtained 12000 feet with 100% HD signal over water, but I also had the second flight closer to shore almost lose HD bars at only 5000 feet? I flew 190 feet in both flights)  I could have gone further than 12000 during the initial test flight, but I was so surprised to fly that far, I chickened out and came back. Ironically, even though the wind was only 5 MPH at the shore, healthy drones showed wind gusts of 25 up there.  
I plan more tests today before the storm; I am not yet convinced about these passive antenna boosters!  Active amps maybe the final solution, but then again, these introduce more noise.  I am also thinking of coupling two passive systems together.....

2016-9-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Cetaman Posted at 2016-9-3 13:43
Aloha Ken,

What Icarus said, "I get better video on a P3A than a P4 flying the same exact ar ...

They should get the same range, if the device and antenna orientation is the same and the P4 gets a lot worse range then maybe think about sending it in for evaluation.
2016-9-3
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I am GROUNDED.

No flights today and it looks like no flights till next Thursday!

25 MPH with gusts to 40 MPH. Next few days look worse! First Storm of the Year.

But fishing was good today, and it should be better tomorrow, as the storm will bring fish from deeper water closer to the shores.
2016-9-3
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Has anyone used this, or similar active amplifier addition with any success?
2.4 GHZ active booster
If yes, did you use an external battery? or does the RC BEC setup work?

But I am afraid that since the P4 still needs the 5.8 GHZ signal, even if we keep the 2.4 GHZ stronger, which already has higher power and better range due to the lower frequency, then are we gaining anything by amplifying the 2.4 GHZ?

I think the issue is the high frequency signal from the P4 is limited somehow.  So even though the video is on the 2.4 GHZ, once the P4 5.8 GHZ control signal is low/lost, then the video will suffer and we will be disconnected anyway.  

So do we need to amplify the P4 5.8 GHZ signal, or improve the signal to noise ratio?? Is temperature affecting it?

2016-9-4
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-9-4 07:04
Has anyone used this, or similar active amplifier addition with any success?
2.4 GHZ active booster

Aloha Icarus,

In an earlier thread, I was told that the P4 only uses 2.4 GHz signals.  There is no 5.8GHz.  The new LightBridge is a system that apparently can use one or the other of 2.4 & 5.8 GHz frequencies.  Both are not needed as I had thought.  You and I are in the same boat with our P4s not getting good video signals.  So, where does that leave us?  Ken says to send in the controller for evaluation.  Hmm.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-9-5
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-9-5 21:53
Aloha Icarus,

In an earlier thread, I was told that the P4 only uses 2.4 GHz signals.  There ...

Aloha Back!

I thought the P4 camera communicates in the 5.8 GHZ frequency?  or is that for the Inspire only? My spectrum analyzer is not working so I can not test it right now.  Maybe DJI / beta testers can shed some light.

It seems that the P4 RC is supposed to put out +23 dBm at the 2.4 GHZ frequency; but I do not see any specs for the P4 craft power though? I suspect that the ultimate solution is to mod both the RC, as well as the P4.  It makes no sense to boost the RC to get you 25000 feet, if the P4 signal will not reach the RC at a distance above 8000 feet!

I personally do not think they can do anything by firmware to increase power, as they have to abide by the current approved FCC spec.

But maybe some changes can be made on the video compression side, working with apple or at least give us the auto option with 4 mbbs.

IMO,

If there are no technical obstacles to give us the option to set the video to 4MBBS/AUTO, which will allow the maximum range, and they do not, then they are either under pressure to limit the P4 range, or it is a marketing strategy.

As far as evaluation,

I have used 2 RC's with similar results.  I think the power output tolerance between RC's is not that bad, so I doubt they will find an RC with more power. The older P3A RC's tend to put out more power though. They are the ones with the A at the end of the model number. It seems that the latest RC with the C at the end of the model number is the most power challenged RC ever made? If you google it you will see many such reports.

2016-9-6
Use props
stephen_carney
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70873 ft
Australia

These items arrived two days ago,

Very inexpensive, but they work!!!

The tablet shade works great on my Samung tab2 9.7, very nice.

Also tried the "windsurfers" today, and, pleased, range seems extended to at least 2.5 klms, (could have gone further" but I am a coward)

So these inexpensive items work.
2016-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules