No GPS Reception Above 20 Meters Altitude
1924 10 2016-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
4K Manila
lvl.1

Philippines

Hello Everyone, My Phantom 3 Pro loses GPS reception every time I fly above 20 meters. When its flying below 20 meters it has GPS reception. This happened after 2 months of weekend flying. I do not fly fast, I just hover most of the time taking pictures. I have not crashed at all. It used to fly great the first 2 months without upgrading any of the stock firmware (remote and aircraft). Then last week the GPS issue happened. I tried to calibrate the compass and IMU but still it did not solve the GPS problem. My last resort was to upgrade to the latest firmware (both aircraft and remote) and also the DJI Go app on my iPhone 6s. Below is a link to the video. I used the Litchi App to do a screen recording so you can see the satellite reception problem. There was a US Military experiment that Jams the GPS in the western part of the USA but I'm here in the Philippines so I have disregarded that variable. I have also monitored the various forums but it seems that only I was having this kind of problem so that means this can't be a GPS jamming issue in my area. In this video I go up and lose GPS, and then I go down the the GPS signal comes back. I went up and down several times, GPS magically disappears and reappears.

2016-7-27
Use props
OrlyP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36916 ft
Philippines

The only explanation I can think of is that, you may have entered the cross-beam of some powerful and directional microwave RF and it might be interfering with the GPS signal at that altitude.

I believe this is in UP campus?
2016-7-27
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

That's very strange and quite a mystery.
Do you get the same effect at another location or on another day?

IMU and compass are completely unrelated to GPS which is why they made no difference.
2016-7-27
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

It looks strange. Does your drone behave the same in every open area? Does DJI Go app have the same result as litchi app?
2016-7-27
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, not just military base jams your GPS signal, I suspect there might be a cellphone signal tower or a radio station behind the building, so every time you rises above the building, the interfering signal comes in the way.

The easiest way to find out is to try flying in a different location, or somehow you can bring your phone to 20 meters height  around and see if it loses GPS signal.
2016-7-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-28 18:14
Hi, not just military base jams your GPS signal, I suspect there might be a cellphone signal tower o ...

Sorry, but cell phone towers and such are not going to jam GPS transmission, otherwise no-one would have a functioning GPS receiver. There has to be another cause. And military bases do not jam GPS either, that is just uninformed urban speculation.
2016-7-28
Use props
deltastreet
New

Philippines

I have the exact same problem... Also happened recently to me. I tried flying in the UP diliman area and Commonwealth Ave. area. I used to fly in these exact areas without any problems with the GPS.

Now everytime I fly above 20m in these areas, GPS is lost. It only regains signal when I drop back to lower altitude.. I've yet to try in other open areas. Will update in this thread..
2016-10-10
Use props
4KManila
lvl.1

Philippines

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-7-27 23:30
It looks strange. Does your drone behave the same in every open area? Does DJI Go app have the same result as litchi app?

DJI GO and Litchi gave the same results.
2017-1-9
Use props
4KManila
lvl.1

Philippines

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-28 00:14
Hi, not just military base jams your GPS signal, I suspect there might be a cellphone signal tower or a radio station behind the building, so every time you rises above the building, the interfering signal comes in the way.

The easiest way to find out is to try flying in a different location, or somehow you can bring your phone to 20 meters height  around and see if it loses GPS signal.

I wanted to try to go to a tall condo unit that's above 20 meters to try out my iPhone will loose GPS. I will give feedback.
2017-1-9
Use props
4KManila
lvl.1

Philippines

deltastreet Posted at 2016-10-10 04:30
I have the exact same problem... Also happened recently to me. I tried flying in the UP diliman area and Commonwealth Ave. area. I used to fly in these exact areas without any problems with the GPS.

Now everytime I fly above 20m in these areas, GPS is lost. It only regains signal when I drop back to lower altitude.. I've yet to try in other open areas. Will update in this thread..

I have the same experience as you. I used to fly in the same area and then after the reported GPS Jamming exercises reported in the internet this happened. I hope they stop playing with GPS signals. I can't do GPS assisted hovers anymore.

I got a Mavic 3 days ago and I will post another experiment.
2017-1-9
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Mine is not that bad, but i see gps fluctuate where it never did before.. perhaps there's some change in the new firmware that changed the way gps behaves.. weird! mine goes to 14 or 13 sometimes when higher up, at most unexpected places that I flew many times... never that drastic though!
2017-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules