Stopped from droning in Maryland
1202 7 2016-8-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kevincraw
lvl.1

United States

Was operating my drone safely along the shoreline of a county park  (Flag Pond Nature Preserve) and was approached by a ranger who informed me that flying drones in county parks was illegal. I complied and landed the drone but told him that there was nothing on the park's website prohibiting drone use. He said the website hadn't been updated and it was a new rule. With Virginia state parks banning drone use, and Loudon and Fairfax counties banning them as well, I don't know where I'm going to fly anymore.  
2016-8-1
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Indoors ?  That's all that'll be left in some areas
2016-8-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been fortunate and have never once been told to pack it up.
2016-8-1
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

I live in Pa, I know it's harder where your at in MD. But some places I go are town or community parks (most don't have rules for this) yet. And since I live in the farm land area of Pa., I can find a lot of places to just park and fly along the road side near open land, sometimes farm land. Sometimes go to industrial parks on the weekend when their closed and find a place to use as a launching site.
2016-8-1
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha kevin,

Those types of park rules only apply to landing and taking off and where you stand.  If you are on park land, you can be in violation.  If you are outside the park and only flying over the park, you are not in violation because only FAA rules apply to airspace.  But, be sure that where ever you end up flying, do not fly over groups of people unless you are with them and they know what you are doing.  Good Luck!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-8-1
Use props
Saskebaby
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1017989 ft
Philippines

Hi everyone, here in the Philippines no worries....i live in a not crowded area so happy with flying.....
2016-8-2
Use props
simonwilcox
New

France

Without trying to be awkward I would have asked him to show proof of this new law. I think the majority of us here go to great lengths to ensure we aren't breaking any laws when flying. If you said that you have special permissions from the government, what is the first thing that Ranger is going to say to you? "Can I see your permit?" It works both ways.

It's just too vague. "It's a new law, the website hasn't been updated yet." We're not talking about a new sale, this is a supposed enforceable law.
2016-8-2
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

simonwilcox Posted at 2016-8-2 05:30
Without trying to be awkward I would have asked him to show proof of this new law. I think the major ...

One thing your missing, or maybe just using the wrong wording. It's a rule, not a law in any park, whether it be county, state or national. And a park official doesn't have to prove anything to you on the spot. Most of these sites are going to be administered by a outside firm, and the park system isn't going to give them every little change that's needed one by one. If push comes to shove and you don't obey their request and the police are called, guess who's side they're going to take. And if you don't obey their request, they have a car ride waiting for you. So bottom line is yes you can ask about documentation and research it more later, but you still need to pack up your drone at the moment.
2016-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules