New drone, couple questions...
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike.sonne
New

United States

Hey all!
So I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a P3 Pro on sale. I recieved the UAS on Wednesday and spent most of the night charging and updating. I spent some time flying on Thursday morning, I had very 3 successful flights. The 4th flight was rough. Less than 5 minutes in the drone flipped over. I immediately throttled down on the remote and saw the P3 throttle up and smash into the concrete. I ran to get the P3 and saw that I lost connection on the remote (Galaxy tab S with 4G) When I turned it over the props went full throttle and I had zero input control. I was holding onto this unit and keeping it away from my face and body parts. It "seemed" as If I would have let go it would have just flown away at full speed. I switched to ATTI mode and after about 5 minutes of holding onto the P3 with dear life, I finally regained control and I was able to power her down. Talk about nerve wracking!!!
So I immediately noticed I broke a prop and took a nice little chunk out of the top half of the body shell. There is also some slight warpage where the top of the body meets the bottom. Less than a quarter inch. Luckily it looks like just the top shell needs to be replaced. I let the p3 cool down, the motors could have cooked a steak they were so hot. After 30 minutes I replaced the props and battery. I recalibrated and went for a test flight, thankfully she could still fly! No erroneous behavior and stable hovers. She drifted about 3-5 inches in each direction, but from what I've experienced and the videos I've watched, that seems to be normal in 10-15mph winds?
I'm just curious as to what I could have done differently to regain control. I've scoured the manual, forums and the web. Seems like I did what I should have. This is my 4th drone, I've repaired others, thats not a problem to me.

Now my question is, when this was happening I kept recieving IMU failures on my tablet along with no connection. Once I regained connection, all the errors were gone. I understand clipping the tree was 100% user error, but the lost connection? Is that a failure of the tablet? The drone was less than 40 feet away when all this happened.

I called DJI, sadly they weren't very helpful. Before I could even finish explaining the situation, the rep just started with a bunch of canned statements.

I did calibrate the compass and recalibrated the IMU. Another thing I noticed was the DJI app said the controller needed to be updated, yet I already had the latest version. I did power her up again last night and the update message was gone.
What say all you?
2016-8-4
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

I only have a question: why didn't you use CSC to shut off the drone instead of doing 'Phantom rodeo' for 5 minutes?
2016-8-4
Use props
MSGNitro
lvl.3

United States

sevadu Posted at 2016-8-4 10:24
I only have a question: why didn't you use CSC to shut off the drone instead of doing 'Phantom rodeo ...

I believe he stated that he lost connection and CSC wouldn't work.

Are you able to upload the flight logs and see if DJI can determine what happened?
2016-8-4
Use props
Bullyproofed
New

United States

MSGNitro Posted at 2016-8-4 22:33

Are you able to upload the fl ...

Correct, I lost connection and I recieved IMU failures. After 5 minutes of rasslin this beast I regained control and was able to power down the unit. I spoke with DJI again this morning, as well as buydig. The rep was much more helpful and informed me that this was a known board failure.

I got a case number from DJI and buydig is going to exchange the unit.

I already reboxed the unit, I did save the logs, I'll upload them when I get home.

2016-8-4
Use props
Ricardo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Bullyproofed Posted at 2016-8-4 10:56
Correct, I lost connection and I recieved IMU failures. After 5 minutes of rasslin this beast I re ...

I am wondering why you didn't shut down the battery if you had it in your hands instead of trying to use the remote. Just wondering, not trying to criticize. I think that is what I might have done and then restarted up everything to see if the error was still there. Glad it was not a total loss for you! could have been worse for sure.
2016-8-4
Use props
Bullyproofed
New

United States

Ricardo Posted at 2016-8-4 23:35
I am wondering why you didn't shut down the battery if you had it in your hands instead of trying  ...

That was actually the first thing I tried. When I attempted to power down the unit, the LED's went dark and immediately lit back up. The unit would not power off. I thought about pulling the battery out but I didn't want to risk coming into contact with a propeller.
2016-8-4
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Bullyproofed Posted at 2016-8-4 11:47
That was actually the first thing I tried. When I attempted to power down the unit, the LED's went ...

Oh yeah, I absolutely understand that! Like I said, I wasn't trying to criticize your method. I hope that never happens to me.
2016-8-4
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2016-8-4 11:50
Oh yeah, I absolutely understand that! Like I said, I wasn't trying to criticize your method. I ho ...

Does anyone know why my user account now shows I am in Europe?....and "Offline". I am in the US and haven't changed anything I am aware of. I changed my "name" thinking it might conflict with someone else, and my account shows the right location. No big deal, just wondered if this has happened to anyone else and / or how to correct it. Sorry, I know this doesn't pertain to this post, but I couldn't see how to ask a question directly to the forum without creating a thread about it, which I didn't think was that important.
2016-8-4
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

MSGNitro Posted at 2016-8-4 16:33

Are you able to upload the fl ...

Sorry, missed that part! My bad!
2016-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules