Launching from a boat
4161 34 2015-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dennis.aerialpe
lvl.3
United States

I have read there is a problem with doing this.  Has DJI address the issue in latest firm ware release.
2015-1-27
Use props
Jscgaston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316772 ft
  • >>>
United States

From my experience it's fine if it's flat calm, haven't tried it with motion
2015-1-27
Use props
dennis.aerialpe
lvl.3
United States

Jscgaston Posted at 2015-1-28 00:54
From my experience it's fine if it's flat calm, haven't tried it with motion

Good to hear that.  what size boat are you using?
2015-1-27
Use props
Jscgaston
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

33ft     
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4Fq0hwMVaIhNek4pfIy35w/videos
some videos from the day
2015-1-27
Use props
dennis.aerialpe
lvl.3
United States

Jscgaston Posted at 2015-1-28 05:38
33ft     
some videos from the day

Very Nice photo work.  I am running a 28 foot on a Lake Havasu Arizona
2015-1-27
Use props
shallowwaterexp
lvl.1

United States

tried launching from boat today an wouldn't fly
at start-up during gimbal dance it has some IMU calculations that get confused and will not fly until it is still, then no issue.
drove boat over to shore and with bow on land it was good to take off....
2015-2-12
Use props
dennis.aerialpe
lvl.3
United States

shallowwaterexp Posted at 2015-2-13 03:44
at start-up during gimbal dance it has some IMU calc ...

What camera settings do you use when shooting over water.  
2015-2-13
Use props
Jscgaston
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

shallowwaterexp Posted at 2015-2-13 03:44
at start-up during gimbal dance it has some IMU calc ...

What were the seas like, I still haven't tried in anything but calm  seas?

As for the camera settings, they vary depending on the light or the type of photo I'm trying to achieve.
2015-2-13
Use props
bubo_bubo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Im planning some trips in the summer from a boat but the roof is the only clear landing space and in proximity of all the massive radar gadgets.

Has anyone had issues with the radar aerials on a boat with the inspire or phantom?

2015-2-13
Use props
Jscgaston
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

My radar was not transmitting, I had the chartplotter/Gps and VHF running. You can land in some tight spaces if you practice. My advice stay away from antennas on the T-top (unless you have lots of space,but if that's the case there must be other spots to land). Come in from the back and land on the deck. What about the bow of the boat... Or just hand catch in Gps mode with landing gear up(A MUST), back it towards you,  grab the battery and then power down.
2015-2-13
Use props
shallowwaterexp
lvl.1

United States

apparently the problem has to do with the Gimbal start-up, as the gimbal does it's dance its trying to base its place in space/time what it sees to be a horizon, guess it has trouble if the gyro is moving... throws off the accelerometer/gyro computations and IMU error occurs, you can replicate while standing on land and holding the Inspire and moving it around at power up, try to fire up motors and it will give you IMU bias error..... set it down for a few seconds on the ground....good to go
2015-2-13
Use props
bubo_bubo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Thanks Jscgaston

The main boat I want to take the inspire on doesn't have much space as its a working boat, bit I like your idea about hand launching, although that going to be a lot more difficult than with the P2V+.

I will have to take the P2V+, given thats very easy to hand launch and catch, I think unless DJI undertake an update between now and then that resolves the issues.
2015-2-13
Use props
ryan.thompsondr
New

United States

So I spent last weekend in Bimini, Bahamas doing a shoot for a stand up paddle board company. I launched all weekend from a 32ft center console Intrepid. I launched from the bow of the boat but could not start the motors until all sensors were zeroed out, meaning the boat had to be perfectly still. Did not matter when I powered up only when the boat would stop rocking for a split second could I start the motors. I also got on live chat with DJI about the issue and they are working on a firmware update to remedy this issue. If you have any questions about my trip email me ryan@aerialodyssey.com. Thanks
2015-3-28
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

33ft     
some videos from the day

How did the landing go?
2015-3-28
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

You people are brave! My luck I would have a $3K RC Submarine at the end of he day.
2015-3-28
Use props
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

33ft     
some videos from the day

You re one brave pilot flying that close to the water. Great shots though. Great piloting and camera operations.

I am assuming that you are in a chase boat and are not flying that thing that far away from you over water?
2015-3-28
Use props
Jscgaston
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

houston Posted at 2015-3-29 13:06
You re one brave pilot flying that close to the water. Great shots though. Great piloting and came ...

Thanks, The boat was always anchored, or I took off from shore. I haven't been out with enough people on the boat to have it moving. My wife's learning (slowly) to be able to captain.  
2015-3-28
Use props
jonathanp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 519275 ft
Canada

Hand catch example:

2015-3-29
Use props
Heliflo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8885013 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

I did it a few days ago without reporting any issues - BUT: It was on a lake, no waves and wind was calm....
2015-3-29
Use props
darreneger
lvl.1

Australia

We just finished a job launching of moving 30-50ft boats in a gentle ocean swell. We were following an ocean swimming race.  We had a lot of trouble launching.  We had to arm at just the right moment between waves.  Not workable for professional use as we missed a couple of shots as we could not launch. Need to be able to calibrate on shore then have a manual override for these situations.  
We can only recommend I1 for boat use if it is very calm until this is addressed.
2015-4-5
Use props
dennis
lvl.3
United States

darreneger@gmai Posted at 2015-4-6 15:40
We just finished a job launching of moving 30-50ft boats in a gentle ocean swell. We were following  ...

Ya darreneger that has been my experience also.  IMU won't let me launch if there is too much motion.
2015-4-7
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Jscgaston Posted at 2015-2-14 04:01
Or just hand catch in Gps mode with landing gear up(A MUST), back it towards you,  grab the battery and then power down.  ...

I plan on doing a lot of work from boats.
How do you "power off" with just one hand, while holding a live I1 with the other?
(we need a dedicated kill button, down for 3 secs and it's totally off)
2015-4-7
Use props
javiervidao
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1194193 ft
Spain

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-8 02:20
How do you "power off" with just one hand, while holding ...

hold the throttle down
2015-4-7
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

what about the "both sticks down and in" deal?
I thought that was the way to shut her down?
(I only have flown the I1 once, last night for the 1st time, so I am very unfamiliar with her)
2015-4-7
Use props
javiervidao
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1194193 ft
Spain

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-8 02:38
what about the "both sticks down and in" deal?
I thought that was the way to shut her down?
(I onl ...

both down and in works too
2015-4-7
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

javiervidao Posted at 2015-4-8 02:57
both down and in works too

That would be hard with only one hand.
thx for the tip, just throttle all the way down left stick and hold, toggle down gear (or hold close to ground), set down I1, push battery button.

I'll start practicing this in the field so when I need it I'll be comfortable, thx again -

Bob
2015-4-7
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Hmmmm, trick video, multiple landings spliced together to look like one.

In the middle, the go-pro scene, the gear comes down immediately after the props stop spinning.
In the beginning, the gear does not, I was waiting for it, (but it looks like he sets the radio down).
Looks like he had someone else on the remote during the go pro clip, (wink wink), shutting down with left hand and lowering the gear with the other the moment the guy grabbed the battery and the props stopped spinning).

either way, I get it, and will practice -
2015-4-7
Use props
darreneger
lvl.1

Australia

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-8 02:20
How do you "power off" with just one hand, while holding ...

As others have said, one stick down is more reliable than the two stick method. Plan for something to go wrong eg. a wave at the wrong moment while trying with two sticks. Not necessary.

When working off boats, we never fly single. Always with two, one on camera. Shots are better and risk better managed.

The other key thing is to land with gear UP. Less risk of getting fingers chopped. However, when caught, move fingers away from landing gear strut as the gear will auto lower.

The other point about launching from boats is that dynamic homepoint ISN'T dynamic. It just means you can reset it but it WONT follow the transmitter. If your I1 goes into failsafe, be quick to flick it into Atti and fly her home or it will land in the water.
2015-4-7
Use props
jonathanp
lvl.4
Canada

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-8 03:33
Hmmmm, trick video, multiple landings spliced together to look like one.

In the middle, the go-pr ...

Hey Bob,

You can believe what ever you want.  It was two separate landings.  I have noticed sometimes the landing gear comes down automatically.  Other times it doesn't when performing the hand catch.  I believe the landing gear comes down automatically if your hand is closer to the ground sensors.  

At any rate I did have the controller in my left hand.  I did push the throttle down all the way with my left thumb.  I should have filmed the catch with a wider angle lens...

Regardless I've done this by myself many times now.  It's pretty easy.  Just make sure the landing gear is UP!.

2015-4-8
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

OH, I totally believe you jonathan, just pointing out that I have an eye for detail -
I appreciate your contributions and will learn from them.

I saw a video where after the battery grab, the guy just lowered the I1 with his hand till the sensors located the ground and lowered the gear.

Have you tried hand launch yet? (that might be just as important to me). Any hand launch videos out there?

thx
Bob
2015-4-8
Use props
jonathanp
lvl.4
Canada

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-9 01:52
OH, I totally believe you jonathan, just pointing out that I have an eye for detail -
I appreciat ...

I haven't tried a hand launch yet.  I wonder how well the sensors will do not starting out on a level surface.  That may require two people...
2015-4-8
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

jonathanp Posted at 2015-4-9 02:29
I haven't tried a hand launch yet.  I wonder how well the sensors will do not starting out on a le ...

I was thinking along the lines of a 20" x 20" piece of plywood or Plexiglas, with a handle screwed to the bottom of it, for Hand Launching, (holding it out like a pizza), with or without a 2nd person -

What do you guys think?

Bob
2015-4-8
Use props
dennis
lvl.3
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-9 02:45
I was thinking along the lines of a 20" x 20" piece of plywood or Plexiglas, with a handle screwed ...

I think its better to grab it out of the air.  I do it all the time from my boat,  grab with my right hand and kill the motors with my left.  You tilt that plexiglass wrong and its gong to slid off quick.  You can see some of my boat pics at www.aerialpeek.com
2015-4-10
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

dennis@aerialpe Posted at 2015-4-11 00:03
I think its better to grab it out of the air.  I do it all the time from my boat,  grab with my ri ...

I said for Hand "Launching", (not catching).
The plexiglass would have a 1/2" raised edge on it so the bird wouldn't slide off if u tilted it some while hand launching keeping ur hand protected during Launch-

How big of a boat do u have and how are you launching? (I plan on doing lots of boat work)

thx
Bob
2015-4-10
Use props
darreneger
lvl.1

Australia

Has anyone tried hand launching with the new firmware? With the sensors reportedly being able to handle a moving boat launch more effectively, a handlaunch should be possible however, there is still the issue of the landing gear being lowered. No matter what you do to hold the I1, the props are too close to fingers in the lowered position.
I really wish DJI would provide overrides in an advanced setting tab to allow this kind of actions which are required by some in real world situations. Please DJI, give us choice
2015-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules