My Crack and Warranty Issue
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fnichols1
lvl.2

United States

Perhaps this is just to vent or perhaps I can get advice in how to deal with this situation.  In July, I found stress cracks on my P3A.  I am a high mileage flier, so I attributed that to a high number of flights.  I sent the Phantom in to DJI, who replaced the case.

I got it back 6 days ago.  I have put eight flights on it.  Today, during a flight, the gimbal locked at a 45 degree angle for several seconds twice.  Then, after the third flight, the compass returned an error and refused to calibrate.  It was in the desert away from town, no magnetic sources or metal structures for miles, in exactly the same spot as the three take offs and landings.  Then, to make the day just perfect, I found a frame crack.  After EIGHT flights.

Let me stress that the Phantom was perfect for 200 flights, until the original cracks.  Now it is cracked, and due to the new gimbal and compass problems, it is borderline useless and untrustworthy.

DJI is closed today, but when I can talk to them, can anyone suggest what I can expect/demand DJI do to make it right?  The last time I sent the bird in, it came back in apparently worse shape.
2016-8-6
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

I have never sent my Phantoms in.  Even under warranty when repairs were needed.  The warranty does not offer "New" parts.....just working parts.  I prefer to stick with my known new parts.   Just my choice.
It's just a personal preference but I would rather do any repairs myself.  If it needs parts, I'll just buy them and replace it myself.
If it is ever too costly to repair myself, I just salvage or sell what I can and buy a brand new one.  A new P3P is so reasonably priced now.  It's a hobby.   Hobbies are pay to play endeavors.

Cracks?  Would never even think about sending it back for that.  Easy to open it and repair the cracks.

Most people I have ever chatted with that use prop guards never have cracks.  Could be that the prop guard base adds support and spreads the stress out.
There's a few other reasons they might help prevent cracks but I won't go into that,  but think....harmonic balancer in that it dampens vibrations.  What it boils down to however is brittle plastic.

I think DJI has corrected the issue with brittle plastic now and new shells shouldn't crack so easily.
When Phantoms come in for repair, I'm quite sure they salvage parts and put them in large bins and pull from those bins when they can instead of using new parts.
It's just efficient business practice.   They are fulfilling their obligations.
Occasionally you might get a part that isn't quite up to new standards.  In those cases they will try to expedite your return process.

All in all, considering their volume, it's amazing service.
2016-8-6
Use props
DJI-Jessie
lvl.3

Hong Kong

Hello, fnichols1 ,Sorry for your frustration, we suggest you contact our support to send back your aircraft .You can call +1 (818) 235 0789 or send an Email to support.us@dji.com for a repair service.
2016-8-6
Use props
fnichols1
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Jessie Posted at 2016-8-6 21:38
Hello, fnichols1 ,Sorry for your frustration, we suggest you contact our support to send back your a ...

This problem in not merely a repair issue.  I had the Phantom back from repair for 6 days, and now it has more problems than when I sent it in.  I would expect expedited service of some sort.  Instead, online support tried to walk me through trouble shooting (a cracked frame?), and I have not been able to get through on the phone for 30 minutes.  When I reached number one in the queue, the phone range 20 times without an answer.
2016-8-8
Use props
fnichols1
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Jessie Posted at 2016-8-6 21:38
Hello, fnichols1 ,Sorry for your frustration, we suggest you contact our support to send back your a ...

DJI-Jessie, I am concerned that the repair folks will not find the gimbal problem, since it appeared to be intermittent.  However, the video I was shooting shows the gimbal CLEARLY tilting back and forth, skewing the horizon and making it look like the phantom was heading downward at one point.  Is there a way to share the video, such that DJI can see the problem?  I don't want them to send it back having not been able to duplicate the probem, only to have me have to send it in a third time.
2016-8-8
Use props
DJI-Jessie
lvl.3

Hong Kong

fnichols1 Posted at 2016-8-9 03:03
DJI-Jessie, I am concerned that the repair folks will not find the gimbal problem, since it appear ...

Hello,fnichols1, you can contact support.us@dji.com and send the video to them. They will help you.
2016-8-9
Use props
fnichols1
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Jessie Posted at 2016-8-9 01:50
Hello,fnichols1, you can contact  and send the video to them. They will help you.

DJI-Jessie, that is a very old message.  I have had frame cracks two more times since.
2016-10-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules