Suddenly cracks
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
John Hansey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2026903 ft
United States

DSC05338.jpg DSC05339.jpg
I could really use some experienced direction. My p3s has 105 flights I purchased it new on 2/10/16.
Around flight #30 I had a crash and sent it in for repair on 4/27/2016.
The DJI repair team did a great job and I was flying again in 20 days from crash.
The cost was also very reasonable.
This brings me to the dilema today. I was doing my preflight checks and found two cracks have appeared (see attached pictures).
Please believe me my aircraft has not had any sort of hard landing or hard transport.
By looking at the cracks they are both on the port side of craft and in the bottom shell. It looks to me that the motor mounts are compromised!

If you can, please help with the following;
Should I fly?
Is this common?
Is there any chance of a warranty repair?

Thanks for your help in advance, I feel as if I have been grounded, with-out even knowing if I did anything wrong.
2016-8-7
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

How about it DJI-Ken?  Those are pretty bad.  I've got several, but they aren't as wide as that.  I use the clip on rotor guards mounting plate to beef it up and don't worry about it.  Mine is well out of warranty anyway.  I do check before I fly to see if any motor is showing any sign of looseness and none do.  Since they worked on it just a few months ago, I would think/hope they would take yours in for inspection and repair.
2016-8-7
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your issue, John. I'd suggest you to stop using this aircraft and contact our US tech support then send it in. If your drone doesn't crash or have a physical damage after repairing, warranty will cover this.
2016-8-7
Use props
John Hansey
lvl.3
United States

Thanks for the positive response DJI Paladin. I will contact US tech support in the morning!
2016-8-7
Use props
r.kirkland064
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43133 ft
United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-8-7 22:33
Sorry for your issue, John. I'd suggest you to stop using this aircraft and contact our US tech supp ...

Hello ! I was just curious about DJI's warranty on cracks in the shells. I have a Standard I bought in December of 2015. No cracks now, but how long would they be covered under warranty? Thanks !
2016-8-8
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

r.kirkland064@g Posted at 2016-8-9 11:28
Hello ! I was just curious about DJI's warranty on cracks in the shells. I have a Standard I bough ...

1 year warranty for this issue.
2016-8-8
Use props
John Hansey
lvl.3
United States

Hi Rkirkland I contacted DJI support today and they asked for me to send it in so I am waiting for a shipping label, he said the shipping label would be here in 24 hours.
They could not answer if it would be covered by warranty or not until they check it out. That being said I'm just glad to have them check it out I would hate to fly it and have a crash because of a cracked lower shell.
I will post more as this is resolved.
2016-8-8
Use props
John Hansey
lvl.3
United States

DJI support has been great so far! Shipping arrived in my email this morning. Drone is on its way to repair center.
2016-8-9
Use props
teknikal90
lvl.2
Flight distance : 106601 ft

John Hansey Posted at 2016-8-10 07:35
DJI support has been great so far! Shipping arrived in my email this morning. Drone is on its way to ...

Keep us posted on how it goes!
2016-8-9
Use props
John Hansey
lvl.3
United States

Very happy with DJI repair center!
They received Drone Friday and today Monday it is repaired "AT NO CHARGE"
They warranted the cracked shell and paid shipping to boot!
2016-8-15
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-8-8 23:40
1 year warranty for this issue.

Its been proven that  many of the cracking shells are defective from the factory. The warranty on shells should be a lot longer than a year.
2016-8-16
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

John Hansey Posted at 2016-8-16 07:45
Very happy with DJI repair center!
They received Drone Friday and today Monday it is repaired "AT NO ...

Great to hear that. Hopefully you'll be back in the air very soon.
2016-8-16
Use props
John Hansey
lvl.3
United States

The drone came back with a new shell. They also replaced a motor! I was able to fly! It was as good as new! The repair team at the DJI support center did a great job, I am very happy with them.
2016-8-20
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

Just curious. Did you loosen the screws and hand tightened them before the cracks? I hope this proactive procedure prevents the cracks.

2016-8-20
Use props
John Hansey
lvl.3
United States

My wife thinks i have a screw loose! But in  answer to your question I have not adjusted the screws at all.
2016-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules