Finally Took Plunge
1157 11 2016-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
david
lvl.1

United States

Just purchased my first Inspire 1 today. Figured best to start with a used one and save a few bucks in case I crash it. But I've already purchased more batteries online and a bunch of accessories...  

So my last drone was about 4 years ago. IT was a Parrot. Flew it pretty hard and never really had any issues.

Any advice for practicing?  My goal is to eventually do some part time work with it perhaps, once I figure things out.  I am an instrument rated pilot and I have my sUAS license - just waiting for IACRA to update. but either way I know with airplanes we practice traffic patterns, power on / off stalls, steep turns, things like that.  What would be a good practice protocol to follow to get proficient at piloting the Inspire 1?

ANy and all advice is appreciated!
2016-8-9
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

Check out this thread.

Best Training Drills?
2016-8-9
Use props
david
lvl.1

United States

Thanks FlightTime - i'll check it out now!
2016-8-9
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It would also be a good idea to also take a look at the DJI tutorial videos as well:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8-vxWY64sBOceNwLOkc0o0kOwLedbC1_
2016-8-9
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

You just jumped from a Chevy to a Buick or Cadillac  !

Enjoy and welcome to the forum !

donnie
2016-8-9
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-8-9 15:13
You just jumped from a Chevy to a Buick or Cadillac  !

Enjoy and welcome to the forum !

Whoa...... You have a problem with Chevy's my friend?
2016-8-9
Use props
david
lvl.1

United States

Well I just bought my Cadillac XT5 but I still love my Chevy Trucks!  I almost bought a used Phantom 4 and I realize that will probably be a better training aircraft but I got a pretty square deal today on the Inspire 1 so had to do it.  I just don't really want to wreck the thing so I plan on putting in some serious practice.  I played around on Google and found a "school" that teaches you how to fly for 3500 bucks and another for 1400... not sure that it's worth that much too me... if anyone has any experience with that please tell.

I am going to just do some basic "get used to it" when I get it and when I fell comfortable i'll start doing maneuvers. And thanks to all for the warm welcome!  I live down in JAX, FL so if anyone is around and wants to go fly around in a "real" airplane hit me up! Have a pretty nice Cirrus SR22 I fly around..
2016-8-9
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome to the forum and you will enjoy the Inspire very much.

As far as anything goes with flying... practice, practice practice.... I only suggest getting some stick time in an open area and keep the GPS turned off once you get the hang of it. This will make you a better pilot and really get to know what the Inspire can do.

Rich
2016-8-9
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
United States

LOL.. David... The Chevy question was for Donnie. Just ribbing him. Please don't spend that kind of cash with someone that's going to 'teach you how to fly'. The Inspire is a pretty tame bird. You shouldn't have any problem at all if you've flown any quad before. Try and make sure you have lots of space to maneuver on your first flights so you can correct mistakes before it happens to hit a tree. Enjoy it.
2016-8-9
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2016-8-9 17:23
Whoa...... You have a problem with Chevy's my friend?

Actually NO,  I love Chevrolet, just a analogy brother .

( My  family owns a Chevrolet- Buick GMC Franchise )

donnie
2016-8-10
Use props
david
lvl.1

United States

@Rich - That's my plan, to "hand fly" this till I am proficient.  I know flying a Cirrus we have really high end avionics and they train us to use the automation, and it's great. However, I routinely hand fly the plane and hand fly approaches to stay current.

@FlightTime1:  Yeah I'm not going to pay anyone. I thought 3500 was a bit much

Thanks guys
David
2016-8-10
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Welcome to the forum.

Take it easy and don't try to fly at maximum altitude or out of visual line of sight.  Keep within 200 to 300 feet to start and just remember small increments, nice and smooth flying.  Practice figure of eight flights.
Also remember the Inspire also has a simulator where you can crank up the wind and look at limitations in a safe environment.

Prepare and use a pre-flight check list as all the commercial guys use.  This way you ensure you don't start a flight if somethings wrong.  Get used to using a pre-flight check list and don't fly without using it.   Always check weather conditions as part of your checklist and and ensure you have the necessary legal permission to fly in the proposed area.
Happy flying

2016-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules