P4 strange indoor behaviour
868 6 2016-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dr_noise
lvl.1

Russia

Since the purchase I still had no time to fly my P4 outdoors, so I'm trying to test it indoors. I know this is not recommended but I do it very carefully. I only test takeoff and landing within 1m height, and very slow and short movements.

What is my setup: I switch to Attitude mode. I don't connect smartphone. I have normal daylight lighting indoors. I have a textured rug on the floor. The drone's battery side is facing me. Before flight I have rear LEDs periodically flashing green twice a time.

What happens:

1. Drone can take off and land.
2. While hovering, it can either hover still, or slowly drift in some direction -- why?
3. Right stick forward, left and right does not work even at the extreme angles. Only back direction works and drone starts moving towards me.
4. However, while landed, all directions work. I can see drone slightly tilt and motors change tone differently for each direction.
5. On one occasion, I was trying to slowly land the drone and it had almost landed, but suddenly went up, so I had to shut it down using emergency combination.

So I'd like to know why right control stick does work in only one direction while in air. Is it some malfunction or maybe there is too much interference or uncalibrated compass or something else?

I would think it does not move forward because obstacle avoiding system does not allow it, but it also does not move left and right where obstacle avoiding system has no effect.

2016-8-14
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

I only once started motors indoors, and it seemed to want to use the weak GPS signal and wanted to head off through the wall to get outside. Brought her down and not tried flying indoors since!
2016-8-14
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can switch off obstacle avoidance. But I would not recommend flying indoors until you build up more experience in understanding how the aircraft will react. In a confined space you will have little or no time to react should it decide to "Go Home" and land in the fish bowl
2016-8-14
Use props
dr_noise
lvl.1

Russia

Aardvark Posted at 2016-8-14 13:41
You can switch off obstacle avoidance. But I would not recommend flying indoors until you build up m ...

> understanding how the aircraft will react.

yes, i thought I understand that if I tilt the R-stick sideways it will hover sideways, but the problem is that it won't!
2016-8-14
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

dr_noise@mail.r Posted at 2016-8-14 18:52
> understanding how the aircraft will react.

yes, i thought I understand that if I tilt the R-sti ...

Have you got a carport or patio,were there is a bit more room to test, especially if you turn the OA off.
The sudden jump up when trying to land  may have been the rug colours, maybe?
Remember to be careful that no loose objects fly/blow up into the props.
I fly my indoors in P mode, with OA off, no worries
Hope you can get outdoors soon and have fun!
2016-8-14
Use props
dr_noise
lvl.1

Russia

nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2016-8-14 15:03
Have you got a carport or patio,were there is a bit more room to test, especially if you turn the  ...

> I fly my indoors in P mode, with OA off

With smartphone attached, I see quite the opposite: In P mode the OA is on (though I guess I can turn it off), but in S and A mode the OA is always off (it is turned on in the menu but the OA icon still has a red stroke over it). So it is even stranger for my case. Will try to search for answers.
2016-8-14
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dr_noise@mail.r Posted at 2016-8-14 15:35
> I fly my indoors in P mode, with OA off

With smartphone attached, I see quite the opposite: In P ...

If you switch from 'P' to 'Atti' mode the Icon is crossed out and Obstacle Avoidance not activated until the motors are started.
Unless the controller is already at 'Atti' when powered up, in which case Obstacle Avoidance is Active without motors started.
Also the Obstacle Avoidance will deactivate itself if there is not enough light in the room.
2016-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules