Crack at altitude avoid catastrophic failure...
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Two Snakes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 241457 ft
United States

So this was fun. Not.  Thought I'd post so others know to inspect preflight.  I'm assuming there were probable hairline cracks before.  At about 8 or so minutes in the motor mount and frame cracked.  Everything went crazy.  Absolutely no control.  P3 began to spin down to earth.  200ft drop.  Somehow it regains some stability.  RTH started but I realized I had control again. Brought it back up to avoid obstacles and landed safely.  

cracks-min.jpg
2016-8-15
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Ouch!  Hopefully a simple body replacement will get you back up and flying.  Well, maybe not so simple.  Unlike the Phantom 2 series the hardest part of that is just going to be opening the body shell because of all the extra locking tabs they added to the 3 series.

Back when this whole crack issue started (Phantom 2 series) the first thing I did was loosen all the motor mount screws of all my Phantoms and then retorque them "finger tight".  One of them has even had a couple of "controlled flights into terrain" but I have yet to see a single crack.
2016-8-15
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your experience. Please feel free to get in touch with our US support and send it in: DJI US.JPG
2016-8-15
Use props
petri.puurunen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1322493 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Ouch.   That looks bad but You were lucky to get bird safely back on the ground.   Please let us know how the trip servicecenter went and how much it cost.
2016-8-15
Use props
Two Snakes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 241457 ft
United States

I emailed support and they sent a shipping label but its 18 months old.  I asked in the email if they could explain if this would be covered as a flaw because the warranty is over.  Even sent the picture.  I got no response so I called the North America service center.  They told me no, so I guess I'll be learning how to replace the frame myself.  I'm comfortable as I work in IT and can replace almost anything in a laptop.  This can't be that hard.  $59 USD for a replacement shell.  I just have to purchase it now.  
2016-8-18
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

Please let us know how you will deal with the locking tabs.
2016-8-18
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

Two Snakes Posted at 2016-8-18 19:56
I emailed support and they sent a shipping label but its 18 months old.  I asked in the email if the ...

The hardest part is getting the shell open.
2016-8-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules