Yaw drift please help.
1620 16 2016-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joshhill
lvl.2

Whenever I yaw in a hover, I have a lot of drift. It kind of turns in a circle rather than rotate like on an axis.
I have done several IMU calibrations on a flat survive, calibrated remote, balanced props, switched props.
Nothing works. It hasn't really bothered me that much till now. I have been trying to do panoramic 360 pics but I drift so much when I yaw it throws off the stitching.

Is it possible for the IMU to not be level inside, so leveling the craft does no good when performing IMU cal ?
Is something I should send in for repair, I am still under warranty? I don't know what else to try.
2016-8-17
Use props
joshhill
lvl.2

Here is an example of the drift this is from healthy drones these pics were taken in pano mode with litchi the home distance drifts over 50 ft
https://healthydrones.com/main?f ... ge_id=GENERALPhotos
2016-8-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

For the movements you describe, you need to do a good compass calibration, and you didn't mention you doing that as well.
Do it in an open area with no interference. Nothing metal in your pockets (phone, Keys), and put the RC/tablet about 10ft away from the aircraft.
2016-8-17
Use props
joshhill
lvl.2

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-17 15:35
For the movements you describe, you need to do a good compass calibration, and you didn't mention yo ...

I have tried several times in an open field practically naked! Lol
2016-8-20
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

joshhill Posted at 2016-8-20 09:27

Too much information

Edit, I notice your altitude, was going to suggest vps calibration but you're way above that.

2016-8-20
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Maybe you need to do a remote controller calibration as well.  Perhaps there is an error in one of the sticks and it isn't "zeroed" in the center, and that is making the axis move as you are yawing?
2016-8-20
Use props
joshhill
lvl.2

I have done a rc calibration, I don't think it's that, because the link to the flight I posted, that flight was in litchi pano mode so I was not using the sticks to yaw, it was autonomous. I fear I am out of options, I may have to send it in. It just troubles me that no one else has this problem. Makes me think there is something I'm doing wrong.
2016-8-20
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

joshhill Posted at 2016-8-20 19:12
I have done a rc calibration, I don't think it's that, because the link to the flight I posted, that ...

So could it be a glitch in Litchi ? Have you tried a manual rotation using DJI Go ?

I would have thought it may just be an accumulation of GPS error over the period (several minutes to rotate ?)
2016-8-20
Use props
joshhill
lvl.2

Aardvark Posted at 2016-8-21 02:50
So could it be a glitch in Litchi ? Have you tried a manual rotation using DJI Go ?

I would have t ...

Yes. It does the same thing in GO app. It has done this for a while now. At first I tried to fix through calibrations, then I just kind of excepted it and dealt with it, but now I'm wondering if I should send it in before my warranty is up.

It first started about a week after I got it, after I did an IMU cal. I have done several since then. Making sure it was perfectly level using a sheet of glass across the top of motors and a level. This is why I wonder if it's possible for the the IMU to be out of level inside the bird, so when I level the bird itself it actually makes IMU somewhat unlevel. When I first baught it, before doing IMU it would yaw on a dime.
2016-8-20
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"When I first bought it, before doing IMU it would yaw on a dime. "

I'm just wandering if a firmware refresh and a factory reset might just sort things, might be worth a go before sending back if that's what you decide. At least if anything were faulty they would sort it out.
2016-8-20
Use props
joshhill
lvl.2

Aardvark Posted at 2016-8-21 03:49

I'm just wandering if a firmwar ...

This is something I have not tried. I am on the current fw. How would I go about doing this factory reset ?

Also I very much appreciate your replies and you taking the time to help.
2016-8-20
Use props
joshhill
lvl.2

Aardvark Posted at 2016-8-21 03:49

I'm just wandering if a firmwar ...

This is something I have not tried. I am on the current fw. How would I go about doing this factory reset ?

Also I very much appreciate your replies and you taking the time to help.
2016-8-20
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

To initiate a factory reset use DJI assistant 2 App' , I prefer running it on a windows PC, with aircraft connected to PC via USB.
When assistant 2 is up and running and the aircaft powered up, you should see th P4 icon, open this and you will see a list of current and previous firmware. You can refresh current here if you wish, but you will notice an option below this list to do a factory reset....Click on this to initiate.
2016-8-20
Use props
joshhill
lvl.2

United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-8-20 16:18
To initiate a factory reset use DJI assistant 2 App' , I prefer running it on a windows PC, with air ...

Guess I should have said this earlier, but I have a P3A not a P4. Also I only have a Mac
2016-8-21
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

joshhill Posted at 2016-8-21 20:26
Guess I should have said this earlier, but I have a P3A not a P4. Also I only have a Mac

Silly me, I never thought to check, P3 post and also shows in healthy drones. OK, I would still try a reload of the firmware using the .bin file on the SD card. Worth a shot.
2016-8-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

joshhill Posted at 2016-8-20 16:27

If yo've done a proper IMU and compass calibration and the aircraft is still drifting in GPS mode and you have plenty of satellites then contact support and see about sending the aircraft in to be evaluated.
2016-8-21
Use props
tyler947
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3878802 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2016-8-21 13:02
Silly me, I never thought to check, P3 post and also shows in healthy drones. OK, I would still try a reload of the firmware using the .bin file on the SD card. Worth a shot.

Any updates on this? I'm having similar issues despite refreshing the firmware, IMU/Compass/RC calibrations.  Even with VPS the drone will yaw slowly to the left, sometimes while drifting to the right.
2017-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules