Remote not holding upgrade. First post!
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
keithbachand14
lvl.1
Flight distance : 620 ft

United States

Hello everyone! I just got a phantom 3 professional for my birthday and so far absolutely love it! I'm new to the drone/aerial video world but look forward to diving deeper and capturing some amazing footage!

Issue: I updated the aircrafts firmware which did the battery at the same time and I updated the remote/transmitter firmware via the DJI go app. Now every time I turn on the remote/transmitter and aircraft it says I need to update the remotes firmware. So I update it and then it's fine. But this process is every time I connect and turn on everything. Any ways to fix this?

Advice needed: So I've never flown a drone until this one and while I find it easy to operate and haven't crashed it yet (knock on wood) I feel timid to fly lower. I'm more comfortable flying high as I can't exactly hit anything which is nice. I have been flying at my home which has a lot of trees which while I can work around I just prefer to go up above the trees to avoid any issues. Is there any way I can get more comfortable flying around trees and other obstacles or will this come with practice?

Also I flew today and it was windy (top of trees moving) and it was drifting more at lower altitudes (below tree line) which kinda scared me from flying lower I guess but surprisingly above the tree line where I know there was more wind it seemed to fly more stable and I felt comfortable even though there was some drift.

Sorry for such a long post! I'm loving it so far and can't wait to capture more! I attached my second video. Nothing amazing but you can see the tops of the trees moving some and if your viewing full screen you can see the Charlotte nc skyline which is pretty cool.
2016-8-20
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha keith,

Interesting how all that works, yeah.  You may be in a lag with the DJI servers.  Sometimes it takes a few days before the new customers get processed and up-to-date.

But, perseverance will be your friend in everything DJI.  This technology is just plain new and everyone is trying to get it all fixed so that it works right.  So, how many batteries do you have?  Each update sometimes is required for the batteries, they are intelligent batteries with their own firmware.  Have you done a complete restart of all components at the same time?  Remember to not fly a battery if it is below 80%.  Charge 'em!  Batteries are your life up there.

Back to flying, cool yeah, the perspective you get from up there!  Stay below 400 feet and above 100 feet and you should do well.  Be sure to set your "Return-to-Home" altitude to higher than your highest neighborhood tree.  You are also doing well to notice tree-top wind conditions.  They can be life or death to your Phantom.  When you have very light winds (0-3 mph.), try Atti mode which does not use GPS for stabilization (see the manual).  Atti only uses the barometer for altitude and will drift in the wind.  This is the true test of a drone operator.  Can you fly without GPS assistance?  There may be times when GPS is lost and you have to bring your baby in without help.  You should know how to fly in Attitude mode.  The smaller drones only have Atti mode so you can learn from that marketplace.

Please remember you have only entered the doorway.  The next room is good fun and amazing!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-8-20
Use props
keithbachand14
lvl.1
Flight distance : 620 ft

United States

Thank you for your reply! I only have one battery right now which did update. I'll definitely give it a few days and keep checking to see if anything has changed. I did restart all the components at the same time and got the same result.

I have 36hrs in a Cessna 172 (ran out of funds to complete my license) but love flying and have some knowledge which will definitely help me fly in the long run!

I will definitely try flying without gps assistance in a wide open and no wind day just so I can be sure I can do it!

Thanks again for the reply! I can't wait to enter the next room! My wife is actually a professional photographer (yes I'm sure you hear that all the time) but my wife is actually really talented and has a studio and all so her tips will help when it comes to taking good footage.
2016-8-21
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

When you power up the gear best practice is probably RC first followed by aircraft and then display device.

There was a bug at one time that always reported an RC update was required if the DJI Go App' was started before the RC was powered up.

Take it easy while learning and stay away from those trees until you learn how it all works. Have a good read of the RTH section in the online manual. If the aircraft is 20m or less from you and an RTH is initiated then I will just land, you can control it in this situation with the sticks, but if it's unexpected it could catch you out maybe. And end up in the trees or the river.
2016-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules