P3S owners please help me decide
1674 35 2016-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bluebouye
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I was wondering what the consensus of those using wifi on their P3S was with regards to the reliability of the video link was? I am thinking of purchasing a P3 4K and don't need the range that Lightbridge offers but I don't want to make a purchse and then find out the link drops out and isn't that reliable. I have read some threads where this has been mentioned but I wondered what you guys owning them think.

2016-8-21
Use props
na5n
lvl.4
United States

I've had no range problems with my P3S (over 2,000 ft.).  Get your P3S; study the instruction manual 2-3 times to learn it well; watch some of the online tutorials.  The DJI tutorials and some others are quite good.  Should fly great out of the box; fly it that way first before trying any updates IMHO.  On my first update, things went well, when it said update complete, I turned off the RC and the bird.  It bombed.  I tried it again, and when I got update complete, I kept everything powered for a minute or so.  Complete success.  After update complete, I think there is some data transfer or file decompression going on inside the Phantom.  If you power it down immediately, you halt the new firmware from fully loading, I think.

This is a great forum, but most of the posts are from those having problems, many of their own making.  You don't see many posts from those not having problems, so apply a huge filter in basing your opinion on the problem posts.  Good luck with your decision; the P3S is a blast to fly with good photo and video capabilities.
2016-8-21
Use props
cloudycante
Second Officer
Flight distance : 558173 ft
Italy

na5n@zianet.com Posted at 2016-8-21 19:39
I've had no range problems with my P3S (over 2,000 ft.).  Get your P3S; study the instruction manual ...

I have a P3S (CE) and I always loose RC signal before video feed. Go figure
2016-8-21
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft

hey blue yeah i loose rc sig befor vid and vid is always clear in fact a lot of times I don't even download the videos off the SD card I just use the ones from the transmission over Wi-Fi

I'll just give you a tip from my personal experience if you ever want it antenna extender do not get the argtek get the DBS mod much more solid.  I got 1600 feet stock 500 feet with argtek and 3000 feet with dbs mod
2016-8-21
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

You might have seen someone just yesterday posted the very same question on the same forum, look here.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-61404-1-1.html
2016-8-21
Use props
Bluebouye
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Cheers for the replies guys. Good to hear you mainly lose signal before wifi. I'm not particularly bothered about range just reliability of the feed.

2016-8-21
Use props
Bluebouye
lvl.1

United Kingdom

wmcvey Posted at 2016-8-21 19:15
If you had looked, someone just yesterday posted the very same question on the same forum, look here ...

Thanks but the guy wasn't asking the same question and I wanted to hear purely from P3S owners regarding  the wifi not whether I should buy one or not.
2016-8-21
Use props
SimonW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1098635 ft
United Kingdom

Bluebouye Posted at 2016-8-21 20:51
Thanks but the guy wasn't asking the same question and I wanted to hear purely from P3S owners reg ...

Hi Bluebouye
The similar post was mine, looks like we're in the same boat. I'm totally undecided - P3S or P3A, looking to buy direct from DJI website. They currently have an offer on the P3A with a second battery for £749 which sounds good. The P3S with a second battery is about £573 - so for an extra £176 you're getting improved link via Lightbridge and a better controller, worth considering.

Are you thinking about the DJI Care option, I'm still in 2 minds about this as well. £125 for the P3S and £169 for the P3A.

Forum opinion is leaning towards the P3A, however I'm not planning to need distance and the range of the standard should suffice. Decisions, decisions ........

SimonW
2016-8-21
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft

well id say i do like my p3s. however i beleve it has the better GPS where you can also get Russian satellites which makes it much more stable and precise. And some other sensors Plus the removable lens to put filters on instead of having a bulky slide over
2016-8-21
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

Bluebouye Posted at 2016-8-21 15:49
Cheers for the replies guys. Good to hear you mainly lose signal before wifi. I'm not particularly b ...

Think you got that impression from one reply above, but I can tell you that about 75% of everyone with a standard will tell you that the wifi video signal goes out first. I think he was just being facetious as his experience was the opposite of most.
2016-8-21
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

Bluebouye Posted at 2016-8-21 15:51
Thanks but the guy wasn't asking the same question and I wanted to hear purely from P3S owners reg ...

Yes he framed his title differently, and was wanting a more broad reply. But thought you might gain some insight into the P3S by reading some of the replies he got. And since your consern is the video downlink being solid. Comparing the P3S wifi to the others Lightbridge is important if the downlink feed reliability is important to you.
2016-8-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

If you can afford the extra money, I would go for the Advanced.
Since you don't have a desire for long range the P3S would still be fine BUT if you want to fly in an area with tons of interference (your neighborhood) than range is going to be reduced.
2016-8-21
Use props
Bluebouye
lvl.1

United Kingdom

SimonW Posted at 2016-8-21 22:33
Hi Bluebouye
The similar post was mine, looks like we're in the same boat. I'm totally undecided - ...

Hey Simon.

The decision is a difficult one. I tempted by the 4K version providing the video link is reasonable. It would give me the upgraded TX which I'd prefer and as I won't be flying beyond LOS and the fact I rarely fly GPS enabled I don't feel I'll benefit from Glonass sats so the only thing left is Lightbridge and if I go for this it's going to cost me £150 more.

As for the care plans.......not sure at those prices but if you are a complete newb then it might be worth it.
2016-8-22
Use props
Bluebouye
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-21 23:45
If you can afford the extra money, I would go for the Advanced.
Since you don't have a desire for lo ...

Good point. I'll mainly be flying just on the edge of suburbia and out in the open so I  might manage with wifi but then again!!!!
2016-8-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Bluebouye Posted at 2016-8-23 00:17
Good point. I'll mainly be flying just on the edge of suburbia and out in the open so I  might man ...

What are you going to be using the video for. If you are going to be using it for work and all your clients require 4k then get the P3 4k. BUT if you are going to be making your own videos and putting them on YouTube and showing to family, I think you will be much happier with a P3 Advanced. There is just so much more technology in that model.
2016-8-22
Use props
cloudycante
Second Officer
Italy

wmcvey Posted at 2016-8-21 23:54
Think you got that impression from one reply above, but I can tell you that about 75% of everyone w ...

I wasn't being facetious at all. I truly always lost RC before losing any video feed. In fact, I never lost video feed.

Of course, I also never pulled it off more than 240 meters, which is barely half the length it should be able to reach, without RTH being triggered and the drone automatically getting home.

As I was saying... go figure :-D
2016-8-22
Use props
Bluebouye
lvl.1

United Kingdom

cloudycante Posted at 2016-8-22 18:38
I wasn't being facetious at all. I truly always lost RC before losing any video feed. In fact, I n ...

I don't know where he got that from either. I certainly didn't read it that way. Can i ask where you're flying if you're  getting half the range?
2016-8-22
Use props
Bluebouye
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-22 18:17
What are you going to be using the video for. If you are going to be using it for work and all you ...

Thanks Ken. I will be filming for myself really but the only real difference between the Advanced and P3 4K is the GLONASS and Lightbridge as the P3 4K has the indoor positioning system and the same TX as the Advanced. I'm actually not that bothered it's 4K, it's just a bonus but its the price point as i want to keep it as cheap as possible and i really want the TX with the ability to take stills, start recording or changing settings without having to take my fingers from the sticks. That's a big plus point to me and the cost coming in at £150 less than the advanced. Correct me if i'm wrong with the differences in technolgy between the models.
2016-8-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Bluebouye Posted at 2016-8-23 02:21
Thanks Ken. I will be filming for myself really but the only real difference between the Advanced  ...

Lightbridge over standard WiFi is a much better technology and for only that upgrade I'd say the price difference is well worth it.
The Advanced also has  720 HD downlink, the 3 4k is 480.
Battery is 6,000mAh verses 2,600.
2016-8-22
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

Buy the best one that you can afford. Stay away from the Standard if you can afford the Advanced or Pro.
2016-8-22
Use props
cloudycante
Second Officer
Italy

Bluebouye Posted at 2016-8-22 20:09
I don't know where he got that from either. I certainly didn't read it that way. Can i ask where y ...

Sure: I fly in an agricultural park near my town. I know for sure there aren't wifi interferences nearby (too far from any house to catch one). Unfortunately the whole area is surrounded by infrastructures, so it might be there are other interferences I am not aware of ( the app sometimes says "poor signal" but usually says "good", often one after the other, so not very reliable from my point of view).
2016-8-22
Use props
Bluebouye
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-22 19:35
Lightbridge over standard WiFi is a much better technology and for only that upgrade I'd say the p ...

Fair comments. Thought i could deal with charging the TX a bit more and the 480p resolution but i hear what you're saying about the Lightbridge.
2016-8-22
Use props
Bluebouye
lvl.1

United Kingdom

UCLABruins Posted at 2016-8-22 19:38
Buy the best one that you can afford. Stay away from the Standard if you can afford the Advanced or  ...

Thanks. The problem is there is always something a little or a lot better but it's always more $$$$$££££££!! but i take on board your recommendation.
2016-8-22
Use props
Bluebouye
lvl.1

United Kingdom

UCLABruins Posted at 2016-8-22 19:38
Buy the best one that you can afford. Stay away from the Standard if you can afford the Advanced or  ...

Thanks. The problem is there is always something a little or a lot better but it's always more $$$$$££££££!! but i take on board your recommendation.
2016-8-22
Use props
Bluebouye
lvl.1

United Kingdom

cloudycante Posted at 2016-8-22 19:58
Sure: I fly in an agricultural park near my town. I know for sure there aren't wifi interferences  ...

Great stuff. This is how you make informed decisions, getting feedback from those who use the technology. Thanks.
2016-8-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Bluebouye Posted at 2016-8-23 03:05
Fair comments. Thought i could deal with charging the TX a bit more and the 480p resolution but i  ...

Yes, those are just little things, but the Lightbridge performance cannot be matched.
2016-8-22
Use props
mthorley38
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23363 ft
United Kingdom

I my self have the ps3 4k and apart from one problem I have had with an update it's great to fly great video and if you only flying Los then that should be fine I agree lightbridge is good and the 2.7k video of the advanced is great I have both so lucky enough not having to have to choose
2016-8-22
Use props
SimonW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1098635 ft
United Kingdom

Personally, I've decided. It's the Advanced over the Standard if I go ahead, can't ignore specs and relatively small cost increase.
Think carefully, you don't want to regret it after a month!
2016-8-22
Use props
Bluebouye
lvl.1

United Kingdom

mthorley38 Posted at 2016-8-22 20:44
I my self have the ps3 4k and apart from one problem I have had with an update it's great to fly gre ...

Any problems with video drop out on the 4K?
2016-8-22
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-22 12:33
Yes, those are just little things, but the Lightbridge performance cannot be matched.

Don't make the same mistake that I made. Video and signal transmission distance IS IMPORTANT. If you are 110% sure that flying under 2000 feet horizontal distance will be fine with you then go ahead and get the Standard. If you have just 1% hesitation about the distance factor, do not get the STANDARD. It's not worth the aggravation.

update: wait....you're thinking of getting a P3 4K (not the Pro) and you currently own a P3S? I give up...this is a rediculous. No one with a brain should go from a P3S to a P34K. The difference is insignificant. Why even bother.
2016-8-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

SimonW Posted at 2016-8-23 03:50
Personally, I've decided. It's the Advanced over the Standard if I go ahead, can't ignore specs and  ...

I agree, spend a little more money and be happy for a very long time.
2016-8-22
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I own a Standard and an Advanced.  Though the Standard is a good aircraft,  there really is no comparison... Once I got the Standard,  I found myself wishing I had the Advanced within 2 weeks or less.  Since I've had thae Advanced,  about a year now,  I still am thrilled every time I fly it and do not wish I had a Pro or a P4.  You can control all camera functions on the controller without taking your hands off also.  And the overall quality of the controller is superior to the Standard controller.
2016-8-22
Use props
Bluebouye
lvl.1

United Kingdom

UCLABruins Posted at 2016-8-22 22:08
Don't make the same mistake that I made. Video and signal transmission distance IS IMPORTANT. If yo ...

No don't own either.
2016-8-23
Use props
Bluebouye
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-8-23 00:32
I own a Standard and an Advanced.  Though the Standard is a good aircraft,  there really is no compa ...

Cheers. I think i probably would regret not going advanced. I never really wanted a standard but the P3P3 4K and thought the only comprise with the was going to be Lightbridge but it's good to hear from those with both.
2016-8-23
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Bluebouye Posted at 2016-8-23 04:25
Cheers. I think i probably would regret not going advanced. I never really wanted a standard but t ...

Hard decision to make for you I'm sure. Nothing like someone else spending your money right! LOL But honestly, I was in the same boat as you about a year ago and I bought the advanced. It is just amazing. I understand you concerns about the costs, and I am in the US and don't know how it compares with your location, but the prices for the advance have really come down to an affordable range here. The reliability is what you will get with the Lightbridge over the standard. By that I mean the signal strength overall. I have a friend who still has a standard and has trouble from time to time even when he is close to the aircraft. Another thing to remember is the standard with the 4K in my mind is really not worth the price. I had trouble deciding between the advanced and the pro for that reason too. I have the 2K on my advanced and I almost always shoot in 1080P. Video is extremely crisp and clear, and I have compared with some other friends that have the pro, and the 4K is not any better in my mind. 4K is better quality for sure, but bigger file sizes and takes a better PC to process and view. If you can afford a few extra dollars for the advanced, it is the best of both worlds in my opinion....great video and good signal. I think you would be very happy with the results you get. Just to be clear, I am not a photographer, so I am not trying to downplay the 4K at all. It comes at a price, and unless you are a really serious photographer, I don't think the 4K is noticeable to the average person. Just some more opinions for you. Good luck with whatever you decide. I think DJI has some great products.
2016-8-23
Use props
Bluebouye
lvl.1

United Kingdom

RicardoGray Posted at 2016-8-23 13:16
Hard decision to make for you I'm sure. Nothing like someone else spending your money right! LOL B ...

Cheers Ricardo. I agree about the 4K camera.I did mention in a previous post i wasn't that bothered about it but as much about the better TX for £100 more here in the UK. But good points, well made. I'm getting into the sort of money i didn't want to spend with the Advance, especially as I'm wanting an extra battery and backpack for it but there are some good deals for two batteries and a case from approved dji dealers here for not a lot more than what dji are asking for just the Advanced so i'm leaning towards that. Great to hear your thoughts as you were in a similar predicament yourself a year ago.
2016-8-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules