Standard - Return to Home not working
6928 22 2016-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
josh.byrd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48799 ft
United States

I recently purchased the Phantom 3 Standard and it has been a great drone outside of a couple of issues I am having:

Return to Home - When I tell the drone to "return to home" either using the remote or the app all the drone ever does is try to land wherever it is instead of coming back to the designated home point. Has anyone had this issue? Any recommendations on how to correct it?

Thanks,
Josh
2016-8-21
Use props
OrlyP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36916 ft
Philippines

Two things:

1. Did you set it to Return to Home in the app?
2. Was the aircraft flying within 20 meters of home point?

" The aircraft will automatically descend and land if Failsafe RTH is triggered when the aircraft
is within a 20 meter (65 feet) radius of the Home Point. "
2016-8-21
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello Josh, please make sure the drone's distance to homepoint is more than 20m.
2016-8-22
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2480515 ft
  • >>>
Norway

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-8-22 10:50
Hello Josh, please make sure the drone's distance to homepoint is more than 20m.

Suggestion: Put a big sticker on the drone saying : "read the manual now".
2016-8-22
Use props
josh.byrd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48799 ft

Mariuss Posted at 2016-8-22 19:05
Suggestion: Put a big sticker on the drone saying : "read the manual now".

Funny guy...I read the manual before flying and have done everything as instructed, but no matter where the drone is when I press return to home, it landed in the spot directly below where it was flying. I returned the drone and have the Phantom Professional now and no longer have the issue.

Suggestion: Don't be an a$$hat.
2016-8-26
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

josh.byrd Posted at 2016-8-27 00:02
Funny guy...I read the manual before flying and have done everything as instructed, but no matter  ...

It's possible that the Home Point wasn't being recorded, remembered. So it had no option but to land, assuming you were at least 65' from the Home Point also. Sounds like something you could have worked through, if you didn't want to spend another $500. Maybe you wanted the Pro to begin with, happy flying.
2016-8-27
Use props
ffaxdavid
lvl.1
Flight distance : 840433 ft
United Kingdom

Always had mine rth for months tho today it just said returning, poinyed my direction , then just sat there not moving 1100m away...when manually flew it within 100ft it did ssme when tried rth option...
2017-5-11
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Sometimes during RTH it looks like it's not moving while you're watching the map, but that's because it is rising to the minimum RTH height first.  
2017-5-11
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

ffaxdavid Posted at 2017-5-11 08:15
Always had mine rth for months tho today it just said returning, poinyed my direction , then just sat there not moving 1100m away...when manually flew it within 100ft it did ssme when tried rth option...

Just to clarify, did you see the telemetry change at all or was it just the map that was stagnant?
2017-5-11
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

josh.byrd Posted at 2016-8-26 20:02
Funny guy...I read the manual before flying and have done everything as instructed, but no matter where the drone is when I press return to home, it landed in the spot directly below where it was flying. I returned the drone and have the Phantom Professional now and no longer have the issue.

Most likely you are hitting AUTOLAND and not RTH.

There are two icons one is Autoland.
2017-5-11
Use props
Churubusco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36 ft

United States

Right On
"Suggestion: Don't be an a$$hat.
2017-5-12
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

This thread is almost a year old.  The relevant question is in post #7.  
2017-5-12
Use props
fansd3fbff33
New
United States

I've got the Phantom 3 Standard as well and my RTH does not work either! Read the manuals, course it doesn't say much about the RTH except on pg. 15. Watched countless Youtube videos (sick of them now). Calibrated the compass, GPS active and Safe to Fly, I fly away a good 2-300ft (still in visual) and Toggle the S2 switch from the Top to the Bottom. Nothing happens in the DJI app, other than the acknolwedgement that I've switched modes, but no RTH option. If I hit the Land option in the app, it tells me it'll land whereever it's currrently at. Yes, in the App the Multiple Flights is selected too. I don't get it!! What's the deal?? No RTH or HL (Homelock) either..tried both.
2017-5-12
Use props
fansd3fbff33
New
United States

fansd3fbff33 Posted at 2017-5-12 09:07
I've got the Phantom 3 Standard as well and my RTH does not work either! Read the manuals, course it doesn't say much about the RTH except on pg. 15. Watched countless Youtube videos (sick of them now). Calibrated the compass, GPS active and Safe to Fly, I fly away a good 2-300ft (still in visual) and Toggle the S2 switch from the Top to the Bottom. Nothing happens in the DJI app, other than the acknolwedgement that I've switched modes, but no RTH option. If I hit the Land option in the app, it tells me it'll land whereever it's currrently at. Yes, in the App the Multiple Flights is selected too. I don't get it!! What's the deal?? No RTH or HL (Homelock) either..tried both.

I tried to edit the above post to say this - I meant to say I toggled S1. However, I've also have tried toggling S2 as well to set the supposed HL, but again, nothing. Flying patterns remained constant and unaltered, i.e. the Back position did not bring the drone back to me. FYI - Years of RC flying under my belt.
2017-5-12
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Maybe you need to read the manual again?  

You have to move the S2 switch, not the S1 switch.  Furthermore, you must move it up and down at least twice.  

The S1 switch is to cancel RTH.  

See page 11 of your manual.  

You can also test it by turning off your controller.  

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... al_v1.4_en_0112.pdf
2017-5-13
Use props
fansd3fbff33
New
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-5-13 02:38
Maybe you need to read the manual again?  

You have to move the S2 switch, not the S1 switch.  Furthermore, you must move it up and down at least twice.  

Thank you - I'll give it a try. That manual you posted did not come with my purchase at Walmart. I've also watched the tutorial videos here on the Support site and it did not mention toggling. Just dipping the S1 to bottom to work. Anyhow, the RTH is enough for me. I did try turning off the Controller and that did work!
2017-5-13
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Yes, the manual doesn't come with the Phantom.  It's only available online.  You're welcome.  
2017-5-13
Use props
fansd3fbff33
New
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-5-13 13:47
Yes, the manual doesn't come with the Phantom.  It's only available online.  You're welcome.

IT WORKED!!!!! Anyhow, one last thing? I read the manual you offered, HL is only briefly mentioned on pg. 52. However it does not say how to initiate it. Again, I tried toggling to the Down position S1 as it shows in the Video tutorial. The app does nothing and nor does the drone fly towards me (home) when pulling back on the stick. Is there another manual or any ideas?  Kinda lost on where to look next. Thanks again!!!!
2017-5-13
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

I actually don't have a P3S so I can't tell you how to do it.  I can tell you it's an IOC mode.  You might have to initiate it from the flight app.  There's probably a tutorial on youtube.  Otherwise, maybe somebody else could chime in.  Good luck!  
2017-5-13
Use props
djiuser_ooCRV4VhLfRv
lvl.1

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-5-11 10:59
Sometimes during RTH it looks like it's not moving while you're watching the map, but that's because it is rising to the minimum RTH height first.

Whenever I do a return to home, it goes to the minimum height and keeps climbing and won’t return.
2019-10-4
Use props
djiuser_ooCRV4VhLfRv
lvl.1

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-5-11 10:59

Whenever I do a return to home, it goes to the minimum height and keeps climbing and won’t return.
2019-10-4
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer

Go to the below link, upload your log, paste the link here and let's take a look at it

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2019-10-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft

josh.byrd Posted at 2016-8-26 20:02

Glad it was the drone and not the operator.  ;-)

RedHotPoker
2019-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules