Calling UK pilots for newbie advice
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SimonW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1098635 ft
United Kingdom

So, I'm close to ordering the P3 Advanced after much reading and research it seems to be the sensible choice over the Standard.
I'll be using it for personal use only, flying for fun and amateur photography etc.
I've been reading the CAA (UK) laws/rules on flying and they seem quite straightforward - not within 50m of people/places and not in congested areas etc.

So, in reality where are you 'owners' currently flying your P3's? I'm close to the Peak District but not beaches, so some open spaces there but I'm concerned about flying in parks or other more public places in case the fun police arrive. I'm scared about flying over water to be honest in case it fails and falls. I'm also concerned that it might end up being a novelty purchase, anyone else found this?

All help appreciated, thank you. #probablyjustneedtobuyone !!
SimonW

2016-8-25
Use props
knobbydave
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18504 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Simon

I fly in the Cannock Chase area in Staffordshire and Chasewater - most people are 'interested' rather than 'anti drone'   (If you get up early though they are not about!)

I have a P3S and don't regret having it, but given the choice again I think I would have gone for the P3A
2016-8-25
Use props
SimonW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1098635 ft
United Kingdom

knobbydave@hotm Posted at 2016-8-25 14:55
Hi Simon

I fly in the Cannock Chase area in Staffordshire and Chasewater - most people are 'interes ...

Thanks mate, appreciate the post
2016-8-25
Use props
knobbydave
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18504 ft
United Kingdom

SimonW Posted at 2016-8-25 22:02
Thanks mate, appreciate the post

The first time you turn off beginner mode you'll brick it

The first time you fly over water you'll brick it

You will have a great time

(just don't run before you can walk - take your time learning EVERYTHING .... TWICE!!)   
2016-8-25
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What they  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ said.

You also need to be aware of controlled airspace if you are within 5 miles (and sometimes more) of any airport.

The Phantom will bring out the Geek in you, we've moved from being a nation of train spotters to 'drone flyers', so dig out the Anorak
2016-8-25
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Simon, if you really closely study the CAA laws and follow them word for word then you'll soon realize that there are a lot more restrictions regarding where you can fly these drones than what it might first seem.  I like to fly over Milford Haven harbour which, at best, is probably a grey area as far as the laws are concerned because of the activities which take place on the waterway.  Just use a bit of common sense when operating the drone and be prepared to land immediately if someone should take offense, you may believe you're in the right but you don't want plod telling you that, actually, you can't fly here.
2016-8-25
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

I had not flown a drone before until May this year, I found it very easy to fly but I had flown model planes a few years ago, when I first flew the drone I was flying it a long way away and flying it just on the screen, then I started reading forums and this site about all the things that can happen and do happen lol I now tend to fly to a distance that I can still see the drone, but I do go out of site occasionally to get the photo or video I want.
2016-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules