Annoying noise from Osmo Flex Mic
1504 5 2016-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
davelent
lvl.1

I had assumed this mic was intended to be the solution to the noise from the Osmo's camera mic, but the annoying background sound makes this mic practically unusable. In this demo, the noise is most apparent when i'm not speaking. Is this as good as this mic can be or is there a firmware update that I don't know about? I have also experienced "clicking" sounds when using the Rode Videomic Pro. Thank you, Dave Lent

2016-8-26
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

"...Is the any fix for this?..."

Other than moving your microphone further away from the Osmo -- no, not that I've discovered.

The closer you are to the stabilization system, the more prominent the sound becomes.

I've only been able to lose it (to a degree) when the lens assembly has been mounted on an extension such as the Z-axis or (more-or-less completely) on the Kamerar.

You also have better luck if the mic is directional, rather than non-directional.

As for 'clicks' -- I haven't experienced them, but other people have in the past.

ADDS: I should point out (for accuracy) that I don't use a Osmo Flex Mic but a Edutige mic, which can also plug straight into the handle. The Edutige has an omni-directional polar pattern, and will pick up sound from the sides as well as the front.
2016-8-27
Use props
davelent
lvl.1

RE: Annoying noise from Osmo Flex Mic

LenMiddx Posted at 2016-8-27 16:52
"...Is the any fix for this?..."

Other than moving your microphone further away from the Osmo -- no ...

Thanks for this info, Len. I wasn't aware of this line of mics before. I suppose the unidirectional model would be the one I should test. Cheers, Dave
2016-8-27
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

davelent Posted at 2016-8-27 14:20
Thanks for this info, Len. I wasn't aware of this line of mics before. I suppose the unidirectiona ...

Well, Dave, the problem is that for it to function currently, it needs motors and a fan.

In the last firmware update they fixed, to a degree, the fan noise by turning it off when recording. I think that there's little that they can do for motor noise. They could work on soundproofing, but I suspect that this is as good as it's going to get.

All you can really do is move the mic away from the gimbal assembly.

If I need some guaranteed quality sound to go with the Osmo images, I would record the sound separately  and sync it to the pictures in post.

2016-8-27
Use props
davelent
lvl.1

LenMiddx Posted at 2016-8-28 00:14
Well, Dave, the problem is that for it to function currently, it needs motors and a fan.

In the l ...

"I would record the sound separately  and sync it to the pictures in post."

I do that for important audio. The audio is usually good with the Rode Videomic Pro, and when I use a wireless package, connecting an xlr from the receiver on my belt to a mini plug into the Osmo handle, the audio is fine. That being said, one never knows what recorded audio quality will be since we cannot currently monitor audio as it's being recorded. We've been assured on this forum that engineers are aware and working on solving this very important missing link.
2016-8-27
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

"...we cannot currently monitor audio as it's being recorded. We've been assured on this forum that engineers are aware and working..."

@Moshe.mmm asked whether this feature was now available in the new Osmo+. The answer was "no" --  so I wouldn't hold out too much hope for seeing it implemented in this Osmo any time soon.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-61829-1-1.html
2016-8-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules