P3P Compass wont Callibrate, tilting P3 changes takeoff status.
1429 16 2016-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scotthayne
lvl.1
United States

I have had a host of issues since updating to 1.09 and 1.60 respectively, and have tried mutliple rollbacks and upgrades and effectively I can't even take off.  The issues I am experiencing are:

1. Video transmission issues, pixelation and partial green screen at ranges of even just a few feet.
2. Compass will not callibrate.  Have tried is several locations, including at a remote park where a friend with a P3A had no problems.

Here is the really odd thing though.  I have attached a video.  As the craft is sitting, the red compass not callibrated banner shows on the GO app.  As I pick the craft up and gentley tilt it a few degrees, it changes to Safe To Fly.  I did this and managed to take off, but as you can imagine, the flight was touch and go and the compass immediately dropped out again once it was airborne.
EDITING FOR CLARITY:  This was the exact behavior outdoors at a remote regional park.  Both the compass issues and the tilting behavior happened just like in this video while outdoors, far away from the RC and anything metal.  This is new behavior since the update.  I have a few dozen flights under my belt without any of these issues, in the same locales prior to this issue appearing.

2016-8-28
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're right next to your remote control and metal cased display, and whatever else metal wise there is lying on or under that desk. Get it outside into a clear area, leave remote about 10 feet away when calibrating compass. You will always get a compass error message if legs beside iron based objects.
2016-8-28
Use props
scotthayne
lvl.1
United States

I have not been trying to calibrate it indoors.   The last attempt at calibrating was at several locations in a park a mile from anything metal where a friend then calibrated his P3A easily.  This video is just to show the tilting issue which also occured there.  This is hardware/firmware related unless the P3 is generating its own interference.
2016-8-28
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In DJI Go for the P3P can you look at the state of the compass ? (I have P4 so might be different).

Go to 'Main Controller Settings' menu, select 'advanced', then select 'Sensors'; and finally click on 'Compass' tab at top of page. that should show the current hardware status of your compass.
2016-8-28
Use props
scotthayne
lvl.1
United States

The sensor readings and red compass error banner are both pointing to the compass having issues.  Compass mod values have been poor in the 450-700 range throughout.  I think they are both indicators of something getting messed up with the latest update.

My transmission stats are awful too.  Getting poor signal quality sometimes from 25 feet away while outdoors.  Prior to this firmware, I have flown 1500m with solid transmision strength and video clarity.  Hence the video feed dropping out and glitching.  It is like someone snuck in and build an invisible faraday cage over this thing while I was sleeping.

But - the overall question I really have for this post is related to the tilting behavior.  That seems really odd and am wondering if anyone has seen anything similar.
2016-8-28
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes! I have two Pros that do the same thing!
2016-8-28
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Maybe re-do the IMU cal. and then do another compass cal.
2016-8-28
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

scotthayne Posted at 2016-8-28 10:12
I have not been trying to calibrate it indoors.   The last attempt at calibrating was at s ...

he was saying that when the phantom is sitting near the RC and or metal--such as your sample picture
it WILL show compass and or interference message.
the metal is causing it!
that's is why when you move it far enough way to(when you tilt) it stops the message...

try to sit the quad in your yard and leave the RC inside or at least 10 feet away--
what happens then?
2016-8-28
Use props
scotthayne
lvl.1
United States

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but as I stated in the first post, this was the behavior at a remote regional park where I tried to calibrate the compass several times at several different locations.  The tilting behavior was happening standing on a river bank with nothing but grass and a few trees within a thousand feet.
The fact that I filmed it inside to show you guys the behavior seems to be pretty distracting, perhaps nobody is reading the posts?
2016-8-28
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would try updating the firmware again, perhaps even a roll back to previous version first. See what (if any) affect that might have.

Followed by the calibrations of course
2016-8-28
Use props
scotthayne
lvl.1
United States

Thanks Aardvark, I spent a few hours last night trying different combos including rolling both back (1.8 and 1.58 for RC) which is as far back as I can go.  Have tried several different combos of the available firmware versions and nothing is helping.  I wish I could go back to 1.6 on the quad but it will only let you go back one version for the quad and rc apparently.  I have 1.7 and 1.6 saved on my PC but it will not allow me to install more than one version back, even with the RC Link trick.
I even opened up the case today just to make sure nothing was loose.  Sigh.  Am probably going to have to send this in.  Might drag my feet to see if a new firmware comes out in the next few months that fixes things...
2016-8-28
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would be tempted to send it in if still under warranty, the USA turn around time seems fairly good (two weeks).
2016-8-28
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

scotthayne Posted at 2016-8-28 14:44
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but as I stated in the first post, this was the behavior at a remote region ...

I stand corrected and I am sorry I responded incorrectly to the video/picture!

I was actually explaining that simply moving the quad as far as only a few inches the message can come and go , often it can be caused by metal in a watch , phones, etc on or near an operator.

It is possible to have a fine calibration yet still get the message under some circumstances.

I READ you checked the connections inside but just to be sure did you open the case at bottom of the leg and check that connector as well.
2016-8-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello scotthayne, did you try to do the IMU calibration and then do the compass calibration again?
2016-8-29
Use props
scotthayne
lvl.1
United States

An update here as well in case it is helpful to me or anyone else facing the same...

So an update - reinstalling the app took care of the video transmission issues.

The compass is still messed up and it feels like firmware issues and not hardware.  I have recalibrated IMU twice.  I performed all of the testing in two different parks with no likelihood of interference and the compass will simply not calibrate but here is what feels very interesting.

Drone sitting or being held flat, as it would be if flying - the mod value for compass is about 700

Tipping the drone 90 degrees in any direction so it is perpendicular to the ground - the mod value for the compass goes to 1500.

Inverting the drone so the feet are to the sky - the mod value drops again to 700-800 range.

This is not related to positional sensitivity of the compass antenna.  This has to be some hardware/software conflict related to the compass and gyro.  It doesn't matter how quickly or slowly I change the orientation or where I am or what direction it is facing.  
2016-9-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

scotthayne Posted at 2016-9-19 06:22
An update here as well in case it is helpful to me or anyone else facing the same...

So an update - ...

If the error persists,I'd suggest you to send it in and our engineers will evaluate your drone.
2016-9-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

scotthayne Posted at 2016-9-19 08:22

So an update - ...

'This is not related to positional sensitivity of the compass antenna.'

The compass does not have an antenna, it has nothing to do with radio reception. If the mod value is around 700 when in normal attitude, then something is going wrong with your calibration procedure.
2016-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules