Fly away, crash, and burn.
1289 10 2016-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
justbabs
lvl.1
Flight distance : 354081 ft
United States

I launched my new P3P after, about half dozen or so successful flights. It hovered after auto take off, I gave it some altitude (100 ft or so) as I searched for the waypoints mission I wanted to run. That's when I saw my drone come tumbling down to the ground.  My log shows no indication of a battery failure. It also shows my Phantom was rolling over and over as it fell from the sky. Since I did not lose a prop and did not see anything come into contact with my Phantom (It was in a wide open area, so no tree or wire interference), I can only assume the crash was caused by either a motor or ESC failure.

2016-8-30
Use props
stevemashon
New

i just had the same thing happen to mine a few hours ago.  but mine also has burn marks coming out of some of the prop vents
2016-8-30
Use props
justbabs
lvl.1
United States

stevemashon Posted at 2016-8-31 08:43
i just had the same thing happen to mine a few hours ago.  but mine also has burn marks coming out o ...

My battery was smoking when I retrieved it.  I'll take a closer look at it.  Props were broken, but all four where still there.  Shell is damaged, landing gear cracked, and camera is gone.  Kinda curious if DJI will cover it under warranty.
2016-8-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

justbabs Posted at 2016-8-31 11:10
My battery was smoking when I retrieved it.  I'll take a closer look at it.  Props were broken, bu ...

They may consider it, but only if it was a fault in the aircraft. But it sounds like you don't have a clue what happened.
2016-8-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry for your crash justbabs. I'd suggest you to sync your flight record in DJI Go app and email support.us@dji.com. Our tech support will guide you to send it in for data analysis and diagnosis.
2016-8-30
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

both have same story and both used auto take off....

http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... ash-and-burn.88491/
2016-8-30
Use props
justbabs
lvl.1
United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2016-8-31 11:29
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/fly-away-crash-and-burn.88491/

I always use auto take off, and have never had a problem.  I did read there's an issue using it in F mode though.
2016-8-31
Use props
greene.thomas-s
New
Flight distance : 40052 ft
United States

While flying phantom 3 pro at 200' for approximately 6 minutes smoke was observed trailing drone. Attempted to land on residential street as smoke increased. At 83' drone quit and dropped from the air trailing smoke. DJI states no errors noted, must have over heated in hot weather. I sent flight log, photo and weather report. Another tech responded that i must have got water on battery. Clear, dry and temp in 70's. I have photos of burned battery and drone. Battery still smoking when pic was taken. DJI stating battery and damage not under warranty. Anyone else experience battery smoking in flight?
2016-8-31
Use props
greene.thomas-s
New
United States

justbabs Posted at 2016-8-30 21:10
My battery was smoking when I retrieved it.  I'll take a closer look at it.  Props were broken, bu ...

While flying phantom 3 pro at 200' for approximately 6 minutes smoke was observed trailing drone. Attempted to land on residential street as smoke increased. At 83' drone quit and dropped from the air trailing smoke. DJI states no errors noted, must have over heated in hot weather. I sent flight log, photo and weather report. Another tech responded that i must have got water on battery. Clear, dry and temp in 70's. I have photos of burned battery and drone. Battery still smoking when pic was taken. DJI stating battery and damage not under warranty. Anyone else experience battery smoking in flight?
2016-8-31
Use props
greene.thomas-s
New
United States

2016-8-31
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

justbabs Posted at 2016-8-31 07:31
I always use auto take off, and have never had a problem.  I did read there's an issue using it in ...

have had 3 p3's and never once used auto land or take off.

its way too much fun to actually fly it for me to not....

good luck and have fun flying.

yes I have seen and noticed that auto take off is showing up in a good number of posts lately....
almost like the:
I just calibrated the compass and ......posts
2016-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules