new phantom 4
702 7 2016-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
timware
lvl.1
United States

i am using an ipad 2 but want to share screen with 2nd device.  DJI says that cannot be done with phantom 4.  does anyone know a work around so i can fly and someone can view my screen for the video component?
2016-9-1
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha tim,

Does your iPad 2 have an HDMI output?  If not, you can buy an HDMI module from DJI for your Remote Controller so you can have USB and HDMI output.  I use it all the time.  I have FPV goggles and a 15.6 inch monitor and they all use HDMI for a really clear 720p display.  It really improves the live view function.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-9-2
Use props
timware
lvl.1
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-9-2 19:14
Aloha tim,

Does your iPad 2 have an HDMI output?  If not, you can buy an HDMI module from DJI  ...

thanks for your input.  the ipad mini 2 does not have an HDMI port. I went to look at the module and I understand how that would work but it looks awkward to be plugged in while flying with the controller. It looks like it designed for table top. Am I missing something?  My intention is to fly the p4 and have a 2nd person monitor the camera view and help direct the camera angles.. It can be hardwired or Bluetooth but this module may work if I can mount it to the RC
thanks, tim
2016-9-2
Use props
MicroFPV
lvl.3

United States

Unless your speaking of something else, the HDMI module goes on the back of your radio controller then you cable your goggles or monitor to this module.  Whatever you want to "view on" will need to have the HDMI input unless you can connect something via the USB port... somebody might chime in with an answer to that one.
2016-9-2
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

timware Posted at 2016-9-2 05:34
thanks for your input.  the ipad mini 2 does not have an HDMI port. I went to look at the module a ...

Aloha tim,

What you want is the DJI Inspire (and above) with dual controls.  Dual controls have not trickled down to the Phantoms yet.  But there have been others who have asked about it.  Sorry, but HDMI is the best you will get so others can monitor what you are doing in live view.  It is higher quality than USB but with no control options and the On Screen Display (OSD) does not include all the telemetry data and screen options of the DJi GO app display on your device.

However, from your description, the HDMI module with the HDMI port could be your best bet.  The nVidia Shield K1 does have an HDMI port that displays all the DJI GO information on the second device (but they are not available anywhere for now).  But still, there is not any control available (except for Inspire dual control as noted).

There are two different approaches you can make here.  There are monitor screens like my 15.6 inch GeChic and FPV goggles like my high resolution HeadPlay HD fpv goggles.  One, the monitor, lets you look around and also view the Phantom itself as it flies.  The fpv goggles hold your head hostage for the view.  You will have a hard time getting out and then getting back into them.  But the view is fantastic in all light conditions.  The monitor has to be set up with a sun shade or in the shade.  I have a ten foot HDMI cable for my monitor so visitors can look on in the shade as I fly in the sun with my own sunshine mitigation systems (and there are many).  

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-9-2
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Your only options for dual video outputs would involving the HDMI Output module. That would allow one USB and one HDMI output. Cetaman provides a few options to use the HDMI out to your advantage
2016-9-2
Use props
timware
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the input.  I tried to order the HDMI module and they said it was not available for the P4.  Called DJI support and they also confirmed that the P4 has no way to connect a 2 screen or goggles or any other device. All other models either off the option or accept the new hardware.  The P4 has no options in this regard. I am disappointed in this area since previous models include this option and the latest model dropped this feature.  All I can do is hope DJI offers this is in the future
2016-9-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

timware Posted at 2016-9-6 22:39
Thanks for the input.  I tried to order the HDMI module and they said it was not available for the P ...

The HDMI module does work with the P4.
All you have to do is order it and install it and purchase a field monitor then the 2nd person will be able to view and direct your shots. I'd get a long enough HDMI cable so they don't have to be right up against you.

After installed, go to the image transmission settings page and enable "Simultaneous Output" then you'll have video on both the iPad and monitor
2016-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules