Slave Controller non functional after upgrade
1190 17 2016-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jimcamera2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 217464 ft
United States

I have an Inspire 1 with dual controls, operating fine for almost a year.  On 8-31-16, I followed the prompts on Upgrade Required.

After upgrading, my Slave Controller no longer functions.  It powers up, but no communication to the quadcopter, and no communication to the Samsung Galaxy Tab SM-T700, Android 5.0.2.  This tablet had been working fine for almost a year until the current upgrade.

For reference, on the Master Controller, things appear to  be working fine.  The upgrade to DJI Go app 2.8.4 was successful, and it comes up fine on my Samsung S6 SM-G920A (phone).  The upgrade on the MC to 1.7.40 was successful.  The upgrade to the quadcopter went through, Version 1.9.1.30, which shows up in About.  The MC is properly starting the motors, speeding up, and tilting the camera gimbal.  I have not launched it, due to the inconsistency with the Slave.

Back to the Slave Controller-  no link to either the quadcopter or signal through the USB to the tablet.  I swapped USB cables with the known working cable on the Master Side, and even tried it with the Samsung phone.  I had successfully downloaded the upgrade to 1.7.40 on the Tablet, but when it went to perform the upgrade, it aborted (since it could not talk to the unit).

I tried the Calibrate Gimbal routine on the Slave and no connection.

Note:  the indication at the top of the DJI Go app is the red No Signal box (not the gold Disconnected box)

I tried the C1 C2 Photo button routine- no effect.

The Slave unit appears to be non-functional.  It powers up fine, but no connections.

Again, I’ve been using this exact configuration of phone / tablet / remotes for quite a while, and no problem until the current upgrade attempts.

I had a client demo planned for this weekend, but it looks like I’ll have egg on my face, unless someone knows of a solution!  Much appreciated!

thanks

JimZ

2016-9-2
Use props
jimcamera2
lvl.1
United States

PS- I tried this recommended solution, to no avail:  Shut off the Master Controller, Powered up the Slave and aircraft, clicked the button inside the nose of the aircraft, held down C1 C2 & Record, then clicked the camera setting dial.  Still no go.
2016-9-2
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

jimcamera2 Posted at 2016-9-3 05:09
PS- I tried this recommended solution, to no avail:  Shut off the Master Controller, Powered up the  ...

Try the following button button combination to reset the Slave RC of any presets:

* Turn on the controller, and the aircraft should be off.
* Press C1, C2, and shutter on the controller then turn the controller off.
* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller and link the remote.

The button combination you referred to would help manually relink the RC.
2016-9-2
Use props
jimcamera2
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-9-2 17:40
Try the following button button combination to reset the Slave RC of any presets:

* Turn on the c ...

Did not have any effect.  Slave unit still non functional
2016-9-2
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

jimcamera2 Posted at 2016-9-3 07:52

Just to clarify, what LED indicator are you getting from the RC? Can you try making this Slave RC the Master?
2016-9-2
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

You need to get the upgrade to the 1.7 on the RC Slave or it simply will not work .  Also do not link the Slave RC via the Aircraft, this is not necessary.  The first thing You must do is get the Slave updated to 1.7 to match the Master.  Try another Go app device if necessary and a different Wi- fi connection as well.  Dont use a Cell tower to update via the phone and Internet. Use a land based Internet.  

Let me know if you can get it updated.

donnie
2016-9-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

jimcamera2 Posted at 2016-9-3 07:52

Do you still need help?
2016-9-6
Use props
ddow
New

United States

Did this issue ever get resolved, I'm having the same problem. My slave unit does not recognize that it needs upgraded but DJI Go App shows Slave RC is version 1.6. The MC updated to version 1.7. How do you get the slave unit to recognize it's firmware needs to be updated? All my symptoms are the same as described in this post. I've tried both IPAD Mini and Samsung phone to get the GO App to recognize the slave needs to be upgraded to no avail.
2016-10-14
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

ddow Posted at 2016-10-14 12:47
Did this issue ever get resolved, I'm having the same problem. My slave unit does not recognize that ...

You mean the Main  "System Status" page of the go app on the slave does not indicate that you need an update to the RC Transmitter  ?  If you tap on the system staus page ( same page as the compass calibration ) At the very top of this  does it say system status Normal ?  or does it say Firmware needs update ?  ( Do this with acces to the internet for the Go app device )

Another way is to make sure you have  wireless  internet connection ( Just like above example )  to the Go App device , now open the Slave RC and Go App to the First initialization page that has a picture of the Inspire on iit, now tap on the top right hand corner where there is  a Graduation Cap Icon and Hold it in for ten seconds, then let go , It may tell you that you need to update this way too.

Try my first method , just make sure you have wireless internet to the Go app Device .
If this does not work let me know , we can temporararily make the slave the master and then try to update , BUT DO NOT LINK THE SLAVE TO THE MASTER , IT IS NOT NECESSARY .Try the above methods then go to this if you dont have success , during this process do not turn on the Master RC or the aircraft, just make the slave the Master in Remote control settings and then Re boot with the Go app.  Once again make sure the Go app has internet connection , it should then prompt for the Update in the System staus start page . once you get this done and updated , revert it back to slave mode and you may need to have the Original Master find the Slave remote again , this is real easy .  
Let me know

donnie  

donnie

2016-10-14
Use props
ddow
New

United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-10-14 12:35
You mean the Main  "System Status" page of the go app on the slave does not indicate that you need  ...

Donnie,

You helped me get a little further than before but I still wasn't able to get the updated version of the firmware onto the Slave RC and yes I have a confirmed WIFI connection (before you ask). I've tried this with both of my IPAD Mini's. The hold 10 seconds on the academy logo does get me to the screen for updating firmware on the RC. The problem I now am having; the option to select only includes 1.6.0 or an older version 1.5.? (can't remember) but not the newest version. I ran it through the process and it re-installs 1.6.0. Restarted the RC (copter off, MC off), changed the RC Status from Slave to Master. It's still not returning "Firmware Upgrade Required" message. Not sure where to go from here?
2016-10-14
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

ddow Posted at 2016-10-14 16:04
Donnie,

You helped me get a little further than before but I still wasn't able to get the updated ...

You dont happen to have on the slave  RC 1.6. 0 + and at the end a + sign do you .  Just wondering ?  Because that would mean 1.7 is on it but not rolled over yet .  I dont think this is the case but want to confirm.

EDIt *** did you use the go app device that you used to update 1.7 to the master ?  was it one of the two you tried, because ussually 1.7 is filed on there somewhere.  Just wonder whatever you used to update the master should have the 1.7 file on it .  If you already tried this then read on ...................if not try that go app device .

Ok you can do this two ways , you can link the Current Master (the slave we are trying to fix ) to the aircraft, it is fairly simple process in the remote control settings , just make sure you can find the Link button on the aircraft before you start , it is in the white fuselage behind the silver screw on the Right hand side , might need a small light .  Once linked hook it back up to go app and it should ask for the update , You are essentially making this the new master.  dont touch the original master in this process , then at the end you will have to make it slave again and link the Original Master ( you can touch it now )  to the AC again and might have to find the slave again.

or   

You can rollback the slave all the way back to 1.58 ( Only takes about 10 min if you are on 1.6 anyway )  then hook it back to the Go app and once again with a good internet signal to the Go app should ask you to update to the current 1.7.  

I think I would do this rollback to 1.58 first then try the other idea if these dont work . Or just send me the son of a bitch I will get it loaded for you !  I have  done it for otheres in the past  ( no charge by the way )  so come or hell or high water we are gonna getthis to work !!

What do ya think ?

donnie

2016-10-14
Use props
ddow
New

United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-10-14 14:30
You dont happen to have on the slave  RC 1.6. 0 + and at the end a + sign do you .  Just wondering  ...

OK Donnie,

Thanks for the help, the only thing that worked was binding the Slave as MC and then it finally recognized it needed the upgrade; sheesh what a pain. Hopefully they figure this out and make it less complicated next time.
2016-10-14
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

ddow Posted at 2016-10-14 17:56
OK Donnie,

Thanks for the help, the only thing that worked was binding the Slave as MC and then i ...

Glad you got it up to date, sorry you had so much grief.

donnie
2016-10-14
Use props
atfjan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 195748 ft
United States

ddow Posted at 2016-10-14 18:56
OK Donnie,

Thanks for the help, the only thing that worked was binding the Slave as MC and then i ...

DDOW, I just went through the exact same thing two weeks ago. Thankfully, both Donnie and Jamie stuck with me and took me through the same steps to resolve the issue. Now everything up to date and working fine. Yes, what a PITA.
2016-10-25
Use props
atfjan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 195748 ft
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-10-14 19:37
Glad you got it up to date, sorry you had so much grief.

donnie

Donnie, Finally got to fly again after that two controller issue you helped me with and everything working great. Thanks to you and Jamie.
2016-10-25
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

atfjan Posted at 2016-10-25 22:48
Donnie, Finally got to fly again after that two controller issue you helped me with and everything ...

Happy to help !

donnie
2016-10-26
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20710033 ft
  • >>>
United States

jimcamera2 Posted at 2016-9-2 19:52

Hi Jim,

Did you work this out? I had the same problem. What ended up solving it for me was disconnecting both controllers fully from the ship then reconnecting them using the button behind the nose of ship (search Google for the YouTube tutorial on this).

I then connected the original slave as master, and master as slave. It worked.

I then disconnected and reconnected back to my original configuration. It worked.

best,
Gavin
2016-10-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

atfjan Posted at 2016-10-26 11:48
Donnie, Finally got to fly again after that two controller issue you helped me with and everything ...

You're welcome.
2016-10-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules