Received a defective Osmo Mobile
3220 16 2016-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rossmedia
lvl.1
Flight distance : 77946 ft
United States

I just received a defective Osmo Mobile - Unfortunately the gimbal motors do not seem to be functioning.  After balancing the phone and turning it on and connecting to the DJI Go app via bluetooth, the phone does not seem to move at all.  The app says, "Device Positioning Error. Turn off device and reposition as indicated" - even though it is positioned correctly.  Sent a note to support and waiting for a response.

Bummed!  I ordered immediately when it was annouced with the hope to use it for an event this weekend.
2016-9-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

You activated the battery correct?
You need to fully charge the battery before powering it on and then you have to activate it.
You can test the unis without a phone, if you hold your finger over the photo sensor it should still stabilize somewhat.
If you have gone through all the activating steps, then the only Osmo Mobile I've ever seen not stabilize is when the phone has a aftermarket wireless charging back cover attached to the phone. I took the cover off and it stabilized immediately.
Here's a video of the activation process.

2016-9-7
Use props
rossmedia
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-7 15:59
You activated the battery correct?
You need to fully charge the battery before powering it on and th ...

Thanks for your response!

Yes, I fully charged the battery and activated it.

I discovered that with the Apple branded Silicon Case with my iPhone 6 on (Grey in color), it does not stabilize.  Without the case, it's fine!  I also placed a piece of tape on the back of the case, then it seems to stabilize.  Perhaps the phone detection does not work well with that case.
2016-9-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

rossmedia Posted at 2016-9-8 05:09

Ok, thanks for letting me know. Like I said the only case that did not work was an aftermarket wireless charging case.
I'll add this one.
I don't know what's making it not work. But it's good that we know the Osmo is fine.
Enjoy it.I'm going to edit your thread topic.
2016-9-7
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

rossmedia Posted at 2016-9-8 05:09

Hi, sorry about your experience.  You can make do with the tape for now and a later firmware might add options to ignore/disable that detector.  You're welcome to share some videos you shoot with your Osmo Mobile
2016-9-7
Use props
rossmedia
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-8 15:21
Hi, sorry about your experience.  You can make do with the tape for now and a later firmware might  ...

Thanks, disabling the detector as an option would be helpful!  Thanks for reviewing.  
2016-9-8
Use props
rossmedia
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-8 03:21
Hi, sorry about your experience.  You can make do with the tape for now and a later firmware might  ...

Here is a my first test shot with an iPhone 6 & DJI Osmo Mobile.

So far I'm happy with the results from such a Gimbal, better than other phone gimbals I've tried.
2016-9-8
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

rossmedia Posted at 2016-9-9 10:30
https://vimeo.com/182032340

Good to know
2016-9-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

rossmedia Posted at 2016-9-9 10:30
https://vimeo.com/182032340

Very nice video, glad you are enjoying your new DJI product.
And glad it is working better than the other phone gimbals you have tried.
2016-9-8
Use props
Kaleidoscope74
lvl.2
Flight distance : 977500 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Same here... I just got the Osmo Mobile and to my surprise, it doesn't work with my grey silicon OEM case from Apple. Without the case it works flawless.
@ rossmedia, can you explain where you put a tape on? Thanks!!
2016-9-9
Use props
SoNiK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 183248 ft
Italy

@Rossmedia
Great video...really
2016-9-9
Use props
rossmedia
lvl.1
United States

Kaleidoscope74 Posted at 2016-9-9 15:49
Same here... I just got the Osmo Mobile and to my surprise, it doesn't work with my grey silicon OEM ...

Sorry for the delay - here is the info if you haven't figured it out.  
2016-9-14
Use props
derekoneill99
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

I also had a problem with the osmo recognising my phone, so I put a piece of black tape over the sensor and it's working now.
2016-9-14
Use props
MicroFPV
lvl.3

United States

rossmedia Posted at 2016-9-8 21:30

Your video looks pretty good for phone video.  I'd love to see some short samples from someone, anyone, that can show before and after of some short scenes.  Something that shows how normal hand held phone video looks in comparison.  I am new to the Osmo stuff and just trying to educate myself on it's usefulness and decide if I need the Osmo mobile or not.
Also, what other brands have you tried if you don't mind sharing your time and experience.  If you don't want to list any of this here you can mail me at microfpv@gmail.com.

Thanks!

2016-9-15
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

rossmedia Posted at 2016-9-14 08:15
Sorry for the delay - here is the info if you haven't figured it out.

Well, you can paste that on the gimbal instead of on the phone case, so you can keep the paper there, until there's an update of DJI Go.
2016-9-16
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

MicroFPV Posted at 2016-9-15 17:00
Your video looks pretty good for phone video.  I'd love to see some short samples from someone, any ...

You can check this, at 4:10.   

There are a few competitors of Osmo Mobile, but I can assure you none of them performs as good in terms of stabilization. There are some comparison videos on Youtube.
2016-9-16
Use props
skay
lvl.2
Flight distance : 31932 ft
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-8 03:21

Your on-line chat tech support folks could use this information. I had to point out a similar thread today, after the tech said that my gimbal was defective because of taping the sensor--and yes, my gimbal really is defective, but for vibration during stabilization. RMA is in process.
2016-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules