Written agreement Between Pilot and Airport
1499 5 2016-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wwjclemd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 901506 ft

So, I recently passed my UAV exam through FAA and have every intention of following 107 to the best of my abilities... Here is my dilema...

Under 107, Im supposed to notify any registered airport if Im flying within 5 miles of their facility. I know I dont need to permission to fly around most of em, I simply need to notify them that im flying... However, this is going to be a serious PITA due to the numerous Registered private unpaved airfields here in Tennessee (Mostly farmers and private pilots own em)... Some places  Id have to call 3 or 4 different airfields every time I fly. Including my backyard.

So, has anyone seen, or used a written agreement between Pilot and airfield that will cover my rearend? Id prefer something simple that I could Print, fill in blanks, and have the airfield owner/mself sign so I could keep it on file.

I know I could fly 24/7 365 in my backyard without such an agreement and Id never get a knock on my door from the Feds Against Aviation (FAA)... But id still like to cover all bases.

Thanks
2016-9-7
Use props
MJones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74783 ft
United States

Hi  wwjclemd,

The 5 mile requirement you mention applies to Hobby or Recreational use only and not to Part 107 operations.  So no letter of agreement is required if you are a certificated Remote Pilot operating under Part 107.

However, when you have your FAA issued Remote Pilot Certificate (not just passed the test) and are operating under Part 107, your requirement for operations in the vicinity of any airport, heliport, or seaplane base is to not interfere with airport operations or traffic patterns and to obtain clearance from ATC (Air Traffic Control) for operations in Class B, C, or D airspace or within the lateral limits of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport.  (see 107.41 and 107.43)

Regards,

Mike

2016-9-8
Use props
wwjclemd
lvl.1

Thanks Mike... I do have my temp cert. The prep class I took through a local airport stated that notice MUST be given if flying within 5 miles...hobby or commercial. They said I didn't need their approval, simply to notify them... So, are they missinformed? Or just being overbearing/nosey?
2016-9-8
Use props
MJones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74783 ft
United States

Nowhere in 14 CFR Part 107 is there a requirement for notifying an airport operator, or control tower, to notify them of your intention to fly within 5 miles of the airport.

However, for hobby and recreational use, not subject to Part 107 rules, the requirement for reporting within 5 miles of an airport is clearly stated in Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act (Public Law 112-95).  You must notify the airport operator and tower if one is located on the airport with prior notice of the operation.

If you have further discussions about this issue with others, you might ask them to show you where in Part 107 is the requirement to report operations to the airport operator or tower when operating as a Remote Pilot in Command under 14 CFR Part 107 other than obtaining ATC clearance to enter Class B, C, D, or surface area E controlled airspace and not interfering with airport operations or traffic patterns as stated in 107.41 and 107.43

Regards,

Mike
2016-9-8
Use props
wwjclemd
lvl.1

Thanks a ton Mike.. u have been a huge help
2016-9-8
Use props
DnJE9r3twYDy
lvl.1

United States

MJones Posted at 2016-9-8 13:17
Nowhere in 14 CFR Part 107 is there a requirement for notifying an airport operator, or control towe ...

If you are operating for commercial purposes all you need is ATC clearance to operate in controlled airspace as MJones stated above and you could also file a NOTAM via the Lockheed Martin web site (https://www.1800wxbrief.com/Website/#!/) to play it safe.
2016-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules