Two Phantom 4’s interfere with each other.
1965 13 2016-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
paulfowler
lvl.2
Flight distance : 999708 ft
Australia

I was recently flying with my new Phantom 4 and I started to get odd error messages (signal loss I think), my aircraft was only 100m (300ft) away.  I turned around and found that a friend, with an identical Phantom 4, was also flying. He said that he was getting interference too, he was around 30m (100ft) away from me. I landed as soon as I could and turned off the aircraft and controller.

Could these two Phantom 4’s be interfering with each other?  It certainly seemed that way.  This was the first time that we had flown at the same time.
Does anyone know how to avoid this?

2016-9-10
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The Phantoms would be perfectly OK.
Your controllers were interfering because they were too close.
Move further away .. maybe 5 metres or so apart and you'll see no problems.
2016-9-10
Use props
Chook
lvl.2
Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-9-10 20:45
The Phantoms would be perfectly OK.
Your controllers were interfering because they were too close.
M ...

Thanks labroides, however the controllers were around 30 meters away from each other.
2016-9-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello Paulfowler, please change another open place without interference around, such as buildings, WiFi, wires or metal. You could check channel on HD page through your APP, then customize the best one.
During flight, please adjust antennas to optimal range. Hope the following tutorials helps:

2016-9-10
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Chook Posted at 2016-9-10 20:51
Thanks labroides, however the controllers were around 30 meters away from each other.

Flying multiple Phantoms is commonly done without difficulty.
If the Phantoms are allowed to choose their own channels they won't interfere with each other.
Have you tried to set channels or are they in auto?
2016-9-10
Use props
Chook
lvl.2
Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-9-10 21:26
Flying multiple Phantoms is commonly done without difficulty.
If the Phantoms are allowed to choos ...

Thanks.  That sounds like a good idea.  They were in auto. How do you set a channel?
2016-9-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

How do you know? In the Go app, Switch from Auto to Custom. Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2016-9-10
Use props
Chook
lvl.2
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-9-10 23:05
How do you know? In the Go app, Switch from Auto to Custom. Hahaha

Thanks (I was guessing that they were both in Auto).  I'll try Custom channels when we fly together again.
2016-9-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Chook Posted at 2016-9-10 07:20
Thanks (I was guessing that they were both in Auto).  I'll try Custom channels when we fly togethe ...

Yes, Probably by default then. ;-)

I have flown my Phantom 3 Pro, several times now with a forum regular Rigworker, and we have Never experienced any negative characteristics..

RedHotPoker

2016-9-10
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

If you switch to custom though, I would not fly too far, because the potential risk of losing signal is a lot higher.
2016-9-10
Use props
cayalag
lvl.3
Flight distance : 470656 ft
Portugal

My friend and I flew 2 p4s recently and we had the same situation... weak signal, pixelation, etc... as soon as we started flying apart from each other, everything went fine.
2016-9-10
Use props
jwt873
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

I have a friend with P3.  We fly together a lot.  I live in the country, he lives in the city and appreciates coming out to fly in the open spaces.

Normally we take turns, but we have flown standing less than 5 meters apart.  At that distance the range is drastically reduced, (under 300 meters) but everything else works fine.  Most of the time we video each others drone and chase each other around the sky.
2016-9-10
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jwt873@gmail.co Posted at 2016-9-10 22:48
I have a friend with P3.  We fly together a lot.  I live in the country, he lives in the city and ap ...

You could always do 'combat drones' use long paper streamers and then chase and cut opponents streamer for points
2016-9-10
Use props
OrlyP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36916 ft
Philippines

With the other Phantom 4 turned on, maybe try to rebind your controller to your aircraft so it can actively search for the least-utilized channel.

One thing I noticed when flying with friends, when an active Phantom 4 is in the general vicinity of my P3S, I receive a lot of interference on 2.4Ghz.
2016-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules