External mic with iPhone 7 and DJI Osmo Mobile
6710 19 2016-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
primers
New

Norway

Hi,
I planning to buy iPhone and DJI Osmo Mobile. I want an external mic also. Eiter connected to the xtra mount point with bluetooth connection or connected in the lightning connection (Zoom iq6 etc).
Is it possible to use the DJI App together with a external mic for iPhone 7 that does not have the 3.5 jack port anymore?

And what mic do you recommend if this is possible?
2016-9-12
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, you can't use lightning port when you put iPhone on Osmo Mobile, because it will be blocked by the gimbal.  So the only viable option is to use a Bluetooth mic, you can find some on Amazon.

DJI Go currently doesn't support any Bluetooth mic. So you have to merge the sound track later.

2016-9-12
Use props
CiaranMcGrenera
lvl.1

Ireland

There's a long thread elsewhere on this, best option unfortunately looks like it might be a Shure VP83F (mic and integrated sound recorder) attached to the universal mount, or a mic of your choice, say a Rode Videomic Pro attached to a Zoom H1, both attached to the universal mount.
2016-9-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

CiaranMcGrenera Posted at 2016-9-12 21:17
There's a long thread elsewhere on this, best option unfortunately looks like it might be a Shure VP ...

Wow, that's a nice mic, expensive too.
2016-9-12
Use props
CiaranMcGrenera
lvl.1

Ireland

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-12 16:39
Wow, that's a nice mic, expensive too.

Yeah, but by the time you add the prices of the Rode, the Zoom, and a Zoom Hot shoe mount you're close to the same amount of money anyway (although admitedly the Zoom would give you more flexibility long term).
2016-9-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

CiaranMcGrenera Posted at 2016-9-13 02:10
Yeah, but by the time you add the prices of the Rode, the Zoom, and a Zoom Hot shoe mount you're c ...

Correct, if I needed profession audio then I would probably be using something other than the Mobile.
2016-9-12
Use props
CiaranMcGrenera
lvl.1

Ireland

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-12 19:37
Correct, if I needed profession audio then I would probably be using something other than the Mobi ...

Ideally yes. but I shoot normally with an XT1 and will upgrade to an XT2 soon enough. Osmo mobile is a more financially accessible entry point to stabilised 4K than a Ronin M to go with my XT2!
2016-9-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

CiaranMcGrenera Posted at 2016-9-13 03:16
Ideally yes. but I shoot normally with an XT1 and will upgrade to an XT2 soon enough. Osmo mobile  ...

That is definitely is, for $300 you can't go wrong.
But if full professional work is required, the Ronin-MX is an absolute incredible gimbal for only $1,600.
2016-9-12
Use props
CiaranMcGrenera
lvl.1

Ireland

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-12 20:25
That is definitely is, for $300 you can't go wrong.
But if full professional work is required, the ...

Ha! "only"!
2016-9-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Yes, ONLY $1,600.
For a full blown professional gimbal that will carry a RED camera for making motion pictures, you cannot find ANYTHING on the market for even close to that price.
2016-9-12
Use props
CiaranMcGrenera
lvl.1

Ireland

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-12 21:09
Yes, ONLY $1,600.
For a full blown professional gimbal that will carry a RED camera for making moti ...

I know, I know, i jest. I'd love a Ronin, but thats a ways outside my budget as an amateur with uppity ideas!
2016-9-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

CiaranMcGrenera Posted at 2016-9-13 04:47
I know, I know, i jest. I'd love a Ronin, but thats a ways outside my budget as an amateur with up ...

Than any of the Osmos should be just fine for you
2016-9-12
Use props
patrickhenrymcs
lvl.1

United States

Hey so I have a make shift solution that I am hoping some one could help iterate on...
I am using a 'filler' piece from the Olloclip lense to help provide a buffer from stopping the volume and power buttons been pressed.
my thinking is if we can find or 3d print some 'buffers'that match the shape inside the osmo mobile holder (olloclip filler is not far off) (maybe an iphone 6/7 3d printed 'bumber' like the iphone 4 had for the signal issue  but  this would then allow you to rotate the iphone to the other way around and expose the lighting then connect Rode mic Go to the on the side of gimbal's cold shoe mount.

ollo clip filler

ollo clip filler

ollo clip dji osmo mobile ipohne 6 rode mic me

ollo clip dji osmo mobile ipohne 6 rode mic me
2016-9-29
Use props
patrickhenrymcs
lvl.1

United States

patrickhenrymcs Posted at 2016-9-29 16:54
Hey so I have a make shift solution that I am hoping some one could help iterate on...
I am using a  ...

just so you now my t-shirt say Make America Great Britain Again - not supporing trump or clinton, I am british
2016-9-29
Use props
R8UiypD3MfVl
New

Indonesia

Do you have any solution if Ibuse Note 5 that has audio jack at the bottom phone? So when I stick Rode Videomic Me, it does not have the space?
2016-9-30
Use props
Mr. POLA!
New

Indonesia

patrickhenrymcs Posted at 2016-9-30 03:54
I am using a  ...

Patrick, can you explain to me again on how to manage those Rode VideoMic Me, so it can be mounted in iPhone6 or Note7? :-)
2016-10-1
Use props
crash331
lvl.1
Flight distance : 285466 ft
United States

I bought an Osmo mobile last week.  Honestly, I would like to trade it up for an Osmo+ so that I could use an external mic except for 2 things:  The battery life and the ability to charge via USB without taking the battery out.  Guess I will just stick with the mobile for now.
2016-10-10
Use props
m.powley
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1535 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I did try a Rode VideoMicro on the Osmo Mobile with my iPhone 6S fitted correctly but the jack didn't fit and I wasn't happy to slide across to make room for the jack or to have the cable rotating with the phone. As such I would be really interested in a similar size and price bracket bluetooth mic if/when anyone finds one.

Thanks in advance,

Mark
2016-10-11
Use props
fanseffe0e5b
lvl.1

United States

Mr. POLA! Posted at 2016-10-1 09:25
Patrick, can you explain to me again on how to manage those Rode VideoMic Me, so it can be mounted ...

I am using 2lb counter weight taped to the slider arm of the osmo mobile  so i can offset the phone and connect Lightning to headphone jack and then use a rode mic  with a cold shoe to attach it to the side this is working very well for me
2016-11-15
Use props
fanseffe0e5b
lvl.1

United States

patrickhenrymcs Posted at 2016-9-29 15:54
I am using a  ...

follow up i now just use a 2lb counter weight on the osmo mobile slider arm
2016-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules