Any products that help Re-enforce landing gear, and protect gimbal?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
matthewfreire
lvl.1

Canada

After crashing my first drone, from such a petty little fall.... I am looking to beef up my second Phantom 3 Standard.... What can I get that will protect the gimbal, and perhaps strengthen the landing gear so it is not as flimsy?   I am not looking to spend crazy money... any cheap alternatives?

2016-9-13
Use props
jamesazen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15262 ft

have a look @ phantom help - loads of links to useful stuff
P3S @ Phantom Help
2016-9-13
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The cheapest and most effective protection is to hand catch
2016-9-13
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Yes hand catching is the best way under controlled landings. But I think the OP was more concerned about an uncontrolled landing or lite crash. Personal I use a gimbal guard that goes under the camera connecting the two legs together. It gives a small bit of added protection to the camera/gimbal area right beneath it. By no means is the added protection 100%. But I also like the fact that it contacts the two legs together, so each leg has the other leg's added support. You do have to make sure you get one for the Standard, as the legs are different than the other Phantom 3's. Now you'll get others that will try to belittle these products because they say it blocks the camera when pointed straight down. That only happens if you bought one for the Adv/Pro model and not the Standard. Or that it's protection is minimal, and it's not 100% like I said. So beware of the naysayers.
2016-9-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

wmcvey Posted at 2016-9-15 11:55
Yes hand catching is the best way under controlled landings. But I think the OP was more concerned a ...

Ronald Mc Naysayer here. One could perhaps equally say that allowing the legs to splay on impact has a beneficial effect in cushioning the shock. Personally, I don't think any of the so-called gimbal protectors do a thing.
2016-9-14
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Gimbal protector was fine for folks that tend to crash on rocks or on anything hard sticking up (fence posts).
But realistically, careful piloting should eliminate that.

I would keep the unit stock - and maybe make my own little gimbal guard (not on any with VPS, so only on the standard).
2016-9-14
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use this:

IMG_1025 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1026 (Medium).JPG
2016-9-14
Use props
roymoon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143901 ft
United States

You can buy taller replacement extended landing gear.
or
Clip on extended landing gear.
Search fleabay.
2016-9-15
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

Like that guard. I also used small nylon ties just like you did. Just makes sense that it gives the legs some lateral support, left to right. As one leg has the added strength of the other. Also adds a bit of gimbal protection. It amuses me that no one is ever negative when you mod your RC, but as soon as you mod the AC all the "stock is better" posts start coming. I've even had one guy trying to say this little plastic part would act as a sail in the wind, and cause a fly-away. Really?
2016-9-15
Use props
Adam Flurk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

wmcvey Posted at 2016-9-15 11:37
Like that guard. I also used small nylon ties just like you did. Just makes sense that it gives th ...

I purchased one similar on ebay as well as a few other things but have since decided that really they're not useful... If you're going to crash, most likely not going to help much.
2016-9-15
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

Adam Flurk Posted at 2016-9-15 13:56
I purchased one similar on ebay as well as a few other things but have since decided that really t ...

In a true crash you are probably correct. I'm talking and I think the OP was thinking this too. In a hard landing (not a crash) they should add some level of protection/support over stock, even if minimal.
2016-9-15
Use props
Adam Flurk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

wmcvey Posted at 2016-9-15 14:01
In a true crash you are probably correct. I'm talking and I think the OP was thinking this too. In ...

Understood.
2016-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules