Marking waypoint?
4392 7 2016-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trackerputnam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5728392 ft

If I see something while flying can I mark its way point on the go app?
2016-9-13
Use props
caranod
lvl.1

United States

waypoints are used to plan a flight path, however with the DJI app you can only mark them WHILE you are in flight at that point....  Not sure what you are wanting to mark, but I don't believe waypoints in the DJI go app are save from one flight to the next.  

To set waypoints to plan a flight while one the ground you would use a 3rd part app like Litchi or AutoPilot.
2016-9-13
Use props
trackerputnam
lvl.3

caranod Posted at 2016-9-14 08:35
waypoints are used to plan a flight path, however with the DJI app you can only mark them WHILE you  ...

Would like to fly an area where elk shed their antlers and be able to mark where I see a shed lying somewhere.
2016-9-13
Use props
trackerputnam
lvl.3

caranod Posted at 2016-9-14 08:35
waypoints are used to plan a flight path, however with the DJI app you can only mark them WHILE you  ...

Would like to fly an area where elk shed their antlers and be able to mark where I see a shed lying somewhere.
2016-9-13
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

trackerputnam Posted at 2016-9-14 14:34
Would like to fly an area where elk shed their antlers and be able to mark where I see a shed lyin ...

Take a photo looking straight down wherever you are interested.
Each photo you take has the GPS location embedded in the exif info for the jpg.
2016-9-13
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

trackerputnam Posted at 2016-9-13 18:38
Would like to fly an area where elk shed their antlers and be able to mark where I see a shed lyin ...

Aloha putnam,

Yes, you can mark a spot on your map that you want to save for later reference.  And then like labroides says you can take the photo and use the GPS and the photo itself as a reference for the location when you go looking for the antlers later.  

You would mark the spot by using the IOC Point of Interest (POI) function.  When you center the camera on the antlers at 10 meters height (or if there are trees or cliffs much higher) and then reverse back 5 meters and then start the POI, your Phantom will draw a perfect circle on the map around where the antlers are (if you allow flight path to be recorded).  This path will also be independently saved in your Flight Record.  Do this with each set of antlers you find.  As you fly these circles you can also do circular PANs by looking straight across over the antlers as you ascend and descend as well as the record straight down view view.  This will give you good bearings to find the antlers when you review the Flight Record on your hike to the sites.  The video can also play on your tablet when you need to check those bearings.

Remember to take your fully charged tablet with you (maybe even your Phantom) so you have the references (and the Phantom's perspective) when you go collecting.  Now, the degree to which you can use technology to assist you will depend on how far in the outback you are.  Cell service may be out but saved satellite map images can still be useful as long as your tablet battery is charged and the video will still play on the tablet.  The tablet may also have live GPS so you may want to check that out.  I am pretty sure the flight record is saved on the tablet and you can access the Fight Records without cell or WiFi.

Hope this helps!  But most of all, be sure you have someone with you to keep eyes where you are not looking since you will be distracted finding the antlers.  Fly safe and pick up antlers safe!

Aloha and Drone On!

2016-9-14
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

trackerputnam Posted at 2016-9-14 00:38

That's smart. Another industry solution.   I'm thinking about using satellites image for this, probably overkill.
2016-9-14
Use props
trackerputnam
lvl.3

Cetaman that's a great way of marking the spot. In a large field I put an antler an then flew over it and marked it using your method. Then had my son come over and watch the video and use the info as it was presented to him. It was a piece of cake for him to find it. So I think on a larger scale it will also work. Thanks again for an innovative way of solving the problem.
2016-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules