Damaged Prop Thread?
1056 12 2016-9-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
toradze3
lvl.2

Georgia

Hey All

I wanna ask if anyone of you has a photo of a damaged prop thread photo?
Cause my prop threads have got some slight paint coating on them,  probably from a bit of over tightening it sometimes. So i wanna now how  do prop threads look like, to know dump this prop or not?

it usually happens with my grey props. And i have to dump them all the time.
The color coating gets off on the thread and i cant figure out is it a damage or not.

Here are the photos of my two props. Both grey.

Thanks                                                
2016-9-14
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I don't have a photo at hand , but surely someone can provide one. In my opinion, if you have any concerns I would just replace them. They are extremely inexpensive. As long as it screws on smoothly and tightens up well, I would think it is ok. There is no need to over-tighten them since you are screwing them on against the way they rotate, so they will continue to tighten as you use them. You don't want them too loose though because if you do a lot of full speed and then braking quickly they can come off as some have posted here in the past. Just use some common sense here I think is the key, but if you are concerned or they don't feel right when you put them on...get rid of them.
2016-9-14
Use props
roymoon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143901 ft
United States

The fear of constant on and off problems is why I chose a case where I can leave them on.

But to your situation:
Is the grey actually paint? Or just dirty bare metal ?
Clearly the black is paint.

I question the problems of being too loose.
Unless they only install them with one turn, expecting the motor to do the rest.
That could lead to the motor over tightening and stripping out the threads.
2016-9-14
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

roymoon Posted at 2016-9-14 08:44
The fear of constant on and off problems is why I chose a case where I can leave them on.

But to yo ...

Same here on the case, pack it up with props on. Have my drone now for almost a year and the props have only been put on once, when it first came out of the box.
2016-9-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your props will last a very long time if you don't have any prop strikes or over tighten them.
I have close 100 flights with a P4 and the props come on/off every time.
I cannot see your photo well enough to notice anything wrong.
You say that you discard grey props all the time, if you are doing that then I think you are tossing away perfectly good props.
If the threads fell smooth as you spin them on and remove them then you props are probably fine.
But it is good that you are cautious with them as I see people who crash and use the same props.
At any time your props hits something, you should discard it. It's too inexpensive of a part to keep on your $1,000+ aircraft.
2016-9-14
Use props
toradze3
lvl.2

Georgia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-15 02:07
Your props will last a very long time if you don't have any prop strikes or over tighten them.
I hav ...

I think so too, that i am dumping the good proppelers. But still.
If you zoom in on the picture, you can see that there is the paint coating on the threads inside of the hub. Its pretty noticable.
The prop itself self tightens, but it has this coating inside.

So i dont know what to do.
Another question is, how do i know i overtighten them? Is there any video of showing how to propely apply props on p3?

Because i rotate them until they stop. Some of them stopped rotating in the middle. So i dump those props right away. The ones that tighten till the end, i just tighten a little bit more and that is it.
2016-9-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

toradze3 Posted at 2016-9-15 16:34
I think so too, that i am dumping the good proppelers. But still.
If you zoom in on the picture,  ...

I spin mine on until there's resistance then I just snug it a tad.
2016-9-15
Use props
toradze3
lvl.2

Georgia

I took a brand new grey props the other day. Had two flights. And one of them has already this grey trails (as seen on the pic). I definitely didn't over tighten them.  So I guess, the back grey prop motor does this to my props.
Other then that, the prop self tightens on it without any issue.  What would you suggest to do?

2016-9-18
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft

It just may be gray paint or black paint on the inside of the propeller and came off while tightening if they spin on easily until they can be snuck down they should be ok if you tighten them down and they still seem to move around I wouldn't chance it just because you see scraped paint don't mean much
2016-9-18
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4

I had a drone with non self tightening props meaning I had to use a wrench to tighten a bolt it was a self-built 4:50 and black Sunny Sky Motors after just a few times the black paint would come off the threads it's normal from friction the two parts are rubbing against each other the only time you won't see this if it's bear on painted metal
2016-9-18
Use props
toradze3
lvl.2

Georgia

billwish76 Posted at 2016-9-19 00:13
It just may be gray paint or black paint on the inside of the propeller and came off while tightenin ...

I understand. But how do I know if the prop threads are damaged, if they are grey and it's hard to see if there is any damage on them.

Basically, if they don't self tighten like new ones would and they stop during tightening or any other symptom, it means they are damaged. Otherwise if they tighten like regular, then they are still usable?

Thanks
2016-9-18
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4

If they don't screw on correctly they are damaged if they go on and tighten down there fine. I've rebuilt engine swapped engines on cars and done other stuff as far as mechanical as well as an Electronics Tech by trade
2016-9-19
Use props
dgoghia
lvl.2

United States

That happened to me, the tread of the propeller wouldn't come off the motor, I had to take apart the bird and replace the motor.. It was a nightmare taking it apart.. But you can do it.. With the right tool and if you take your time
2016-9-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules