Phantom 2 Vision + Plus Gimbal Motors Broken After 4 Flights
7124 16 2015-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ross2266.gmail
New

United States

I have flown the phantom 4 times and had a very mild bump landing on the first flight. The subequent 3 flights had absolutely no issues.

This morning I went out to take some video for work and it appears that the gimbal motor(s) are broken. I checked the ribbon connections and they are all intact. I even tried unplugging the ribbon cable from the camera and it still does the same thing shown in the video. I have updated the firmware and made sure everything is updated (v3.10), but nothing is working.
There seems to be a noise and vibration coming from the base gimbal motor that moves the phantom laterally and nothing on the gimbal is working (but the camera still works).

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?  Thank you for your help, DJI wont respond and I need this for work next week.

Here is a video:

2015-1-30
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Check the 3 plugs on the top of the mount,  make sure they are all plugged in firmly.  It is acting like it is not getting power.
2015-1-30
Use props
ross2266.gmail
New

United States

Thanks Gerry - I checked the wire harnesses which connect the pantom to the gimbal and they are all intact. I snapped a photo as well.  Still having the same issue.
20150131_115925.jpg
2015-1-31
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

ross2266.gmail Posted at 2015-2-1 03:03
Thanks Gerry - I checked the wire harnesses which connect the pantom to the gimbal and they are all  ...

Are you 100% sure the ribbon is ok? Did your gimbal seperate when you hit the ground at all?
2015-1-31
Use props
ross2266.gmail
New

United States

Jeep - Yes, I have checked the easily accessible ribbon connections and confirmed that they are intact.  I even tried disconnecting a few of the ribbon points to see what would happen, and i have the same issue where is doesnt move and makes the same noise. This leads me to believe that it is not a ribbon issue.
That said, on the first flight the ribbon that wraps around the very bottom of the gimbal unit was struck and sustained some denting (see photos).  
The gimbal did not separate when it hit the ground and there were no obvious hardware breakage afterwards, however, I initially had a gimbal issue similar to the other gimbal issues that most people are posting about (where it shakes violently when turned on), but after taking everything apart and putting it back together it worked again.

I had several successful flights with no issues after the first minor crash, so i dont think that this particular issue is related to the minor ribbon damage, but I guess i might as well replace the ribbon as a precautionary measure.

bottom ribbon rock damage

2015-1-31
Use props
ross2266.gmail
New

United States

ISSUE RESOLVED!  SOLUTION:

I just tried wiggling the ribbon cable connection on the bottom of the until where the cable connects to the plug as shown in my previous two photos.

WITH THE UNIT TURNED ON (did not work when I adjusted with the unit off and then turned it on...), I gently moved the ribbon end into the slot until it apparently made the correct connections and started to function properly again.  I can now say fairly definitively that the issue was caused by a damaged or loose ribbon connection on the bottom most exposed ribbon section.  I highly recommend that people put some protective tape or other covering over this exposed ribbon to avoid similar damage.

The unit is working for now, but it looks like I need to replace the ribbon ASAP.
2015-1-31
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

ross2266.gmail Posted at 2015-2-1 06:39

I just tried wiggling the ribbon cable connection on the bottom of the u ...

Are you sure it's not your ribbon   you should buy a gimbal guard from killerrc.com  good to hear you figured it out.
2015-1-31
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.3

United States

Or, one of these other fine gimbal guards:
http://www.PhantomHelp.com/#GimbalProtector
2015-1-31
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

ross2266.gmail Posted at 2015-2-1 06:39

I just tried wiggling the ribbon cable connection on the bottom of the u ...

Good for you getting it resolved.
Happy Flying!
2015-1-31
Use props
matthijsslot.ho
lvl.1

Netherlands

I've exactly the same problem as posted by ross2266.gmail on my Phantom 2 Vision + V3.

There seems to be a noise and vibration coming from the base gimbal motor. The gimbal is not working now, but the camera still works. So after reading this post I ordered a " Phantom 2 Vision Plus Gimbal Ribbon Cable " and replaced it yesterday, but unfortunately I've still the same issue (also checked the 3 plugs on the top of the mount)

I've this problem since a crash some weeks ago, had to bend the gimbal a bit (see before.jpg and after.jpg). Does anyone have any idea what is going on with my gimbal?

Thanks in advance

before.jpg
after.jpg
2015-2-4
Use props
matthijsslot.ho
lvl.1

Netherlands

So the ribbon cable is replaced but still a noise and vibration is coming from the base gimbal motor, who have any idea to fix this?
2015-2-8
Use props
MAD In NC
lvl.2

United States

just saw this yesterday

2015-2-8
Use props
matthijsslot.ho
lvl.1

Netherlands

MAD In NC Posted at 2015-2-8 22:01
just saw this yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Ii1i3-x3I

Hi, thx for your response. I already tried this without success. See http://youtu.be/mnWfp3B_V-Y what my problem is
2015-2-9
Use props
matthijsslot.ho
lvl.1

Netherlands

Anyone, DJI?
2015-2-11
Use props
bestmusicuz
New

United States

Hey guys, i have same problems with gimbal after crash it watch the video to understand the situation
http://youtu.be/oJlbJeHZOsI

And i just realized that some of the cables out of the where is supposed to be

And also having problem seeing album from app
2015-3-11
Use props
bgoldman.plgb
New

United States

matthijsslot.ho Posted at 2015-2-5 15:58
I've exactly the same problem as posted by ross2266.gmail on my Phantom 2 Vision + V3.

There seems  ...

Hahaving EXACT SAME issue did you...did you ever find a fix for this?  And what was your technique for bending the gimbal back into alignment?
2015-4-5
Use props
matthijsslot
lvl.1

Netherlands

bgoldman.plgb@g Posted at 2015-4-6 09:55
Hahaving EXACT SAME issue did you...did you ever find a fix for this?  And what was your technique ...

No, Last weekend I've re-assemble the Gimball without success. Still got the same problem as before. I've checked the motors, sensors and cables nothing is damaged.

See also:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en
2015-4-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules