WINTER FLYING
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
REYMOTE13027
lvl.1

United States

HOW COLD IS TO COLD FOR THE P3S I LIVE IN UPSTATE NY AND WANTED TO GET SOME WINTER VIDEOS AND PICS CAUSE WE CAN GET SOME REAL HEAVY SNOW TOTALS.
2016-9-21
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Specs say 0c - 40c , 32 - 104f. But I have seen many videos of very cold places way below freezing. Aircraft warm up time can be a problem, calibrate in a cold location before hand. If it's very dry air ok, but you could get ice build up if it's a little damp. And I'd watch for condensation after the flight.

I'm planning lots of winter flying, but it rarely gets below -5c here.
2016-9-21
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Here's one at -15c , he said the iphone gave up but the phantom was ok

2016-9-21
Use props
makokiller
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1115095 ft
United States

Great question, I would like to know also, as I live in NY (finger lakes region), and it gets pretty cold.

2016-9-21
Use props
cellis488
lvl.2
Flight distance : 202566 ft
United States

I live in the south and tried to fly when it was 40 degrees and it was to cold for the battery
2016-9-21
Use props
roymoon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143901 ft
United States

I would expect that if the battery was warm from the car it would be fine throughout the flight.
I mean these things heat up during use so wouldn't that keep them above minimum temp in flight ?
Same with the motors.
If you are worried about the electronics put tape over the vents.
2016-9-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello ,if you need to fly in cold environments , please remember to warm up the drone before taking off.
Hope our manual will help you.
Low temperature notice.png
2016-9-21
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

I always keep the battery warm inside this heated bag hobby king sells and then put it in my p3 and hover for 3 min or so about 5 ft off the ground and never had an issue.. On 85 degrees F days here all summer I land my p3 with 20 to 25% battery left and I can't squeeze it in my hand for more than a few seconds before it starts to burn me, hottest battery I've ever seen.. I've seen many batteries puff at half its temp, so how DJI does it I'm amazed.. Bottom line, that battery gets hot as hell during normal use so I'm pretty sure even on below 0F days that battery gives off enough heat to keep the inside of the p3 above freezing temps, lol or damn close to it, lol...  Plus I set one of my trigger buttons under the p3 remote to bring up and down the battery stats page, so I'm able to easily monitor its temps..  I've had a cold p3 battery fully charged before show 3.55 volts per cell and after 5 min of flight the battery warmed itself up and the voltages went up the rest of the flight and were normal..  Plus the percentage will still reflect mah consumed, so as long as your above 3.55 volts and the percentage battery left still reads a good amount you will be ok. Flying in the cold you need to watch both..  

I flew once when it was cold where the battery showed 3.5 volts per cell and I'm sure it was fully charged but I watched the temp of the battery continue to rise slowly and the voltage stayed between 3.5 to 3.55 that entire flight, so I just monitored the percentage remaining and kept flying..  The p3 will have noticeably less power at full throttle and your prolly going to want to avoid full throttle in the cold cuz it could cause the voltage to go way to low and your p3 may experience a brown out and drop out of the sky..  

So bottom line, spend the $20 on the Hester battery bag from hobby King, it's located under battery accessories and contro how much throttle you use. If you see any cells voltage go below 3.5 land immediately.. But chances are if you preheat the battery and be nice to the throttle stick and fly slow you won't have an issue.. If you see the voltage drop under 3.5 when on throttle then let off a little and let it go back up, same with your pitch and roll speeds. You can easily monitor cell voltage cuz it's shown next to battery percent remaining if you have it turned on to show it there...if you take off and your cell voltage goes to low during a slow take off land and warm up the battery..  And you must make sure the battery is charged fully in a warm place..  I've learned a cold lipo won't charge right. It will take forever to charge or it will stop when it's 50% charged, so make sure you know it's fully charged before flying in the cold, cuz cell voltage isn't going to tell you how much battery is left like it does in the war,ear months like summer..  It may stay at 3.6 volts the. Entire flight, so use cell voltage just to know if the battery is to cold and to control throttle and speed ya know.. Use the percentage indicator or the battery screen to know how much mah has been used and what's left..  You want to be on the ground with 1200mah left in the cold, in summer you can push it til about 700mah remaining..  Winter will shorten your flights by t least 5 min.. Unless your battery somehow stays real warm and gets hot like normal you may only get 60% of its power when cold, again it depends on how cold..  I flew once when it was -15F and I had to land after about 9 min of flight.. Battery just couldn't give more than 50% that cold..  But I also didn't prewarm it.. I left it sit outside to get cold 45 min b4 flying it, which is a good idea to but keep the battery warm til your ready to fly..  I think the lipo heating bag at hobby King will warm up to 125 degrees F and it needs a 3 cell battery that can put out 4 amps continuos..  My 3 cell 5000mah 25c turnigy packs run it for about an hr or so.. Again depending on how cold the battery running it gets.. If you have room out that battery in the bag too.. Or use a Agm battery to run the heating bag...
2016-9-21
Use props
SCUBADJI
New

Canada

I've flown in -25°C with no issues, except my hands freezing up. Big gloves don't work well with the remote.

I did notice a significantly less flying time though. The battery only lasted about 15 minutes.

I let the motors warm up for a bit before taking off.
2016-9-23
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

been flying the past 2 winters first a p2 vision and last a p3p

I live in ohio and have flown at 0F at times,  
very very often in 15 to30F now issues other than
common sense ones.

fingers quit before the quad.

shorter flight times but not that much.

last winter they added a firmware set that monitors tempand power and can reduce power to system to maintain battery
Props are very fragile when cold and break easier if .....

once you have a compass calibration don't touch it again ...

if you fly low over snow shut off VPS

at times the gimbal may not be as free flowing but only at times and at lower end of temp scale

good luck and have fun flying!
2016-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules