Landing Phantom
2087 32 2016-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bulgobulgos
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2657 ft
Australia

I catch my P3 rather than land it. I assume most members also catch it? I've had the P3 tip over when landing on uneven ground.
2016-9-27
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha bulgo,

Not really.  I tend to land on a small table or in my yard - if the grass is short.  When I am in difficult terrain, I will hand catch and hand launch.  Finding a good launch and recovery spot is a major part of flying and be sure to remember how dangerous hand launch and recovery is.  It should be kind of a last resort, but a doable last resort - if you do it right.

Then there is launch and recovery on a boat.  That pretty much requires hand launch and recovery.  But, it is the most dangerous form of hand launch and recovery and you need to be secured to the boat so you do not fall overboard.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-9-27
Use props
user0d6640b385
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I take off from a small camping table that I take with me where ever I go. I always hand catch to land.
2016-9-27
Use props
Tanel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 291056 ft
Estonia

user0d6640b385 Posted at 2016-9-27 15:51
I take off from a small camping table that I take with me where ever I go. I always hand catch to la ...

The dipping over stories come from the use of CSC sequence to kill the engines after landing...
Just hold the left stick down for a couple of seconds when you have landed and the engines will shut down without any dipping over BS.
If you have managed to dip over the P3 without using the CSC sequence then I'm really amazed...
2016-9-27
Use props
roymoon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143901 ft
United States

I only land on a hard clean surface.
I never 'hand' anything with high speed sharp objects.
With age comes wisdom.

Too many people 'assume' that the bird will remain stationary until the props shut down.
Wisdom says these things might happen:
1. Remote slips in/out of the remaining hand.
2. Grip hand misses the mark.
3. Auto back fires.
4. Foot slips.
5. Wind gust.
6. Finger slips on stick.
All it takes is one time.

No one will ever convince me 'hand' is safe. Ever !
2016-9-27
Use props
Tanel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 291056 ft
Estonia

roymoon Posted at 2016-9-27 16:03
With age ...

Hand is very safe!
Just use a motorcycle full face helmet + motorcycle jacket + kevlar motorcycle gloves!
2016-9-27
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

roymoon Posted at 2016-9-27 09:03
With age ...

It's completely save. I'm in my late 50's and still have enough eye hand coordination to do it without any issues. And the drone is completely stationary making it an easy task, and that's with a Standard that has less GPS functionality than the other models. Unless you have a disability (besides being too old) it is easy and completely save, and sometimes a necessity because a "hard clean surface" is not always going to be available. Or the wind picks up, which you have as a reason not to catch and those who do would say it's a reason to hand catch.
2016-9-27
Use props
tuckerboy1
lvl.1

United States

I say hand is not always as  safe as people are saying as I would do that until one day just as I grabbed it the wind took off and the drone went side ways and yup you know guessed it I have 6 nice scares on my arm now to say the least.
2016-9-27
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

I would agree with Cetaman, hand catching and hand launching are dangerous and should be treated with respect. A small lightweight DIY hard foam takeoff/landing pad is useful in most situations in grassy, muddy, sandy, and snowy sites and is carried easily on the outside of your backpack. There are occasions where hand catching or launching is necessary, but as tuckerboy1 pointed out a small wind gust at the wrong moment or a slight tug on the landing gear can produce a sad result. Usually, if you look around, you can find a good spot to pose a landing pad.
Have fun and good flying!
2016-9-27
Use props
roymoon
lvl.3
United States

" I'm in my late 50's and still have enough eye hand coordination to do it without any issues. And the drone is completely stationary making it an easy task, and that's with a Standard that has less GPS functionality than the other models. "

I'm 59 with no issues. Just experience with Murphy's law.
You are counting on the drone remaining stationary.
That may be the case 49 out of 50 times. But that last one . . . .
Would you trust your 12 year old grand daughter to do it ?

Those legs are not meant to hold the weight twisting downward after shut down either.
I would only do it as a last ditch resort.
2016-9-27
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

"Would you trust your 12 year old grand daughter to do it ?" No I wouldn't. Not sure what the point is, as we're not 12 years old.
When I first saw others talking about and seeing videos of hand catching I too thought, no way I'm doing that. But one day I was flying in a new location and upon landing I realized the ground wasn't too flat and there was a bit if a breeze. Being it was obvious that it would tip over if I landed on the ground, so I decided this is what hand catching was meant for and did my first. Piece of cake IMO.
2016-9-27
Use props
roymoon
lvl.3
United States

It's a piece of cake until that one time it ain't.
We wear seat belts because of that one time.
If these things were meant to be hand caught they would have put handles on them.
I suggest the reason you wouldn't let a 12 year old do it is because you realize it's not safe.
2016-9-27
Use props
Jake X380 & P3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

I made a takeoff/landing pad out of two pieces of plywood. I cut them both 24" square and sandwiched them together with short screws. The top piece I cut out a 6" diameter hole. So when landing or taken off, the gimbal won't hit the landing pad.
2016-9-27
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft

I usually land on a smooth surface, but sometimes do a hand landing if dusty.  It sits so still for you to get a good grip and always works perfectly.  I worry about the strength of the leg, but i grip it high on the leg.  
2016-9-27
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

Hand catching is inherently risky. It would only take one incident to transform ones life. I carry a 2' x 4' piece of plywood in the trunk. No tip overs and good landing practice.
2016-9-27
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

It's not going to cut your fingers off, it's not a lawn mower. It might just hurt like hell, and maybe give you a few cuts. Do you guys saying how risky hand catching is ever do anything risky in your life. I bet none of you ski, surf, skydive, ride motorcycle, driven a sports car or jumped a horse, all because it's too risky to have a little fun. OMG just driving a car or bike on the roads is more risky than catching a toy drone.
2016-9-27
Use props
roymoon
lvl.3
United States

With age comes wisdom.
I hope no one on here gets hurt.
2016-9-27
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

I did my first hand landing today but for testing purposes
It was my understanding that the motors won't shut down in flight by lowering the left stick, fully.
I grabbed hold, approx 6' altitude, lowered the stick and it did shut off. Maybe it has to be higher or moving but now I know to be careful with the left control.

I would normally land on a surface but don't have an issue with a hand landing.
2016-9-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

CabinPete Posted at 2016-9-28 10:30
I did my first hand landing today but for testing purposes
It was my understanding that the motors ...

When hand catching and lowering the left stick to shut off the motors, you must grab the aircraft and hold it still while the motors shut off. Do not move it around. And no, the motors will not shut off in flight when you pull the left stick down, the aircraft has to also sense that it is not descending.
2016-9-27
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-9-27 20:42
When hand catching and lowering the left stick to shut off the motors, you must grab the aircraft a ...

I did it as you suggested, no movement.

I'll take your word that the motors won't shut off in flight using a single left stick movement.

Thanks
2016-9-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

CabinPete Posted at 2016-9-28 10:53
I did it as you suggested, no movement.

I'll take your word that the motors won't shut off in fli ...

'I'll take your word that the motors won't shut off in flight using a single left stick movement.'

It is quite well documented here in a zillion threads, every few days someone asks if the left stick down can cause the aircraft motors to shut down in flight. It won't. The technique works because it normally just causes the aircraft to descend, but when it stops descending for 3 seconds, the aircraft figures it has landed and shuts down.
2016-9-27
Use props
Old Geezer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23691 ft
United Kingdom

I've done a few hand catches, I find the best technique (for me) is to bring the drone to a hover at shoulder height about 6 - 10 feet away from you, walk up to it with arm extended and get a good grip on the upper leg, then use left stick only to shut down the motors.  It helps a lot to rotate the drone to facing away from you when setting the hover point.

I've also landed it in 4-6 inch grass on a 20 degree slope without a problem - just do what real helicopters would do - land it slowly and facing uphill.
2016-9-27
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft

I've been hand catching for a year now and do it 90% of the time. I consider it much safer for the drone and since I'm always careful, safe for me too. Even a smooth ground landing can be pretty jarring to the gimbal.
Helpful hint: Always face the drone away from you so the controls aren't reversed. (much easier/safer)
I think it's hard to hand launch without 2 people. I can't hold the drone in one hand and hold the controller in the other while somehow doing a CSC to start. For some unknown reason, I never use the Go app takeoff button.
I also avoid flying when it's windy.
Personal choices.
2016-9-27
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1557398 ft

Rnfaust Posted at 2016-9-28 10:22
I've been hand catching for a year now and do it 90% of the time. I consider it much safer for the d ...

I have an Inspire harness and replaced the tablet mount with a metal one that has another grommet hole farther up and closer to the center of gravity. Using that second hole makes it much easier to balance the remote and do a hand launch.
2016-9-27
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Safety is the first thing we should to focus on ,so we are supposed to fly carefully!
2016-9-27
Use props
Eazy123
lvl.2
  • >>>

While I'm new to flying, I don't think I would ever hand-catch my phantom.  Landing in the grass or on a hard surface is fine for me.  If I HAPPENED to be in the middle of a body of water I guess I'd have no choice.  
2016-9-27
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I often fly from locations that are more vertical than horizontal, so normal takeoff and landing is not an option.  I just make sure the drone is in a stable hover in p-mode and walk up to it.  I grab one of the vertical landing struts as close to the main body as possible.  I use the neck strap,  so one hand on the controller works well.  Pull down the left stick for 3 seconds and it's all good.
Besides,  I ride a motorcycle daily on Americas highways and back roads.  Life without risk is a life best lived in bed.  Alone.

2016-9-27
Use props
bulgobulgos
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2657 ft
Australia

Old Geezer Posted at 2016-9-28 09:27
I've done a few hand catches, I find the best technique (for me) is to bring the drone to a hover at ...

I started the hand landing thread. It is easy as you say, bring the craft down in front and hover slightly above, then firmly grasp the leg and hold the left stick down until the motors stop.
2016-9-27
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-9-28 03:11
I often fly from locations that are more vertical than horizontal, so normal takeoff and landing is  ...

"Life without risk is a life best lived in bed.  Alone." Nice quote, especially that last word, lol.
2016-9-28
Use props
Delta Nine
lvl.4
United Kingdom

roymoon Posted at 2016-9-27 14:03
With age ...

Three things in life much more riskier than hand catching, driving a car, flying in a plane, and upsetting my Mrs.

2016-9-28
Use props
roymoon
lvl.3
United States

"Three things in life much more riskier than hand catching, driving a car, flying in a plane, and upsetting my Mrs. "

Two of the three I have direct control of.
But your Mrs is out of my control.
2016-9-28
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

I got this: landing gear extender and I am very happy with it. I catch it sometimes, but in general I take off and land from the terrain as long is it's acceptable with that landing gear....
Downside, rarely, but sometimes, I can see the foot in footage.. no biggie...
2016-9-28
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-9-28 17:09
I got this: landing gear extender and I am very happy with it. I catch it sometimes, but in general  ...

Just got these for the times I want to ground land. Haven't used them yet.
2016-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules