Remote Controller firmware update with no USB
8524 19 2016-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
adamk858
New

United States

Hi, I just bought a Phantom 3 Standard. I went through a firmware update using the DJI GO app on my phone and it updated the firmware via wireless (set it up and got to download link then swapped WiFi and downloaded, then swapped WiFi back to drone and updated the firmware) - although my assumption was it would update the aircraft and remote controller's firmware. After the update completed, an error is now constantly displayed saying something about RC connection problems. After some research it seems the remote controller needs to be updated using the micro SD card and a USB port, instead of via wireless - I'm getting that information from the numerous videos and turorials etc that I've watched and seen doing my research. Or you can plug a micro USB cable's micro end in to the camera and regular USB end in to the remote control.

That is where my issue lies - I have a newer remote controller than in the videos it seems, as mine does NOT have a standard female USB port, it only has a female micro USB port. It also does NOT have a micro SD card slot. So using the equipment that came with the Phantom 3 Standard, how should I update the firmware on the remote control? Do I actually have to purchase something else in order to do this (like a micro SD card slot to micro USB cable)?

I wish it would have said something about this somewhere. There are multiple warnings to update firmware immediately when you purchase the product, yet it doesn't come with the tools to do so? This was a huge bummer to not be able to fly the drone after buying it and having to wait a day to go back to the store and buy another product (if this is the case).

Thanks in advance for any help!

2016-9-27
Use props
adamk858
New

United States

tl;dr - I have a new remote control that ONLY has a micro USB port on it (does NOT have a standard USB port or micro SD card port). How do I update the firmware on it? Is the easiest/cheapest way to purchase a micro USB to micro SD card slot cable? Thanks in advance!
2016-9-27
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

You have it all wrong. You don't use a USB cord with the Standard to update anything, it's all via wifi. If you're having an RC connection issue you just need to relink the RC to the drone. Sometimes when doing a FW update this happens and you need to relink them.
2016-9-27
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

You have to be careful when reading about or watching youtube about updating FW for two big reasons. First the Standard is done differently than the other models that do use a USB cord between the RC and device, the P3S uses wifi to make that connection. Also the other models have to be updated via the SD card directly, again the P3S uses wifi. Lastly you can force a FW update to the Standard via a SD card and this might be what you saw online. It is NOT the way it was meant to be, that's more like a hack some people do.
2016-9-27
Use props
adamk858
New

United States

wmcvey Posted at 2016-9-27 11:56
You have it all wrong. You don't use a USB cord with the Standard to update anything, it's all via w ...

Thanks for your response! Hmm weird, all I've done so far is fly it for a couple minutes to get to play with my new toy, then did the FW update via WiFi. Ever since doing the FW update the RC is constantly giving a connection error. I did try to re-link them by clicking the link controller button within the app then pressing the link button on the aircraft which turns from red to green momentarily and the app says they're linked, but shortly after it just pops the connection error up again.

How can I try to re-push the FW update? I've looked around in the settings in the DJI GO app and can't find the option to re-push the FW update. At first it just automatically popped up a message saying a new version was available so it was easy to push the update, but now that it thinks its done I can't find how to re-push it.
2016-9-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

adamk858 Posted at 2016-9-28 03:17
Thanks for your response! Hmm weird, all I've done so far is fly it for a couple minutes to get to ...

The RC is updated via WiFi on the Standard. Have toy also tried to reset the WiFi
And if you did the update, the update indicator will not appear anymore.
In the General Settings, go to About and that will tell you what update you are on.
2016-9-27
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

adamk858 Posted at 2016-9-27 15:17
Thanks for your response! Hmm weird, all I've done so far is fly it for a couple minutes to get to ...

Never did it, but you could go back to the old FW by going into the GO app on the first screen you will see a icon that looks like a little box (think it's a graduation cap) upper right corner. Hold it down for a few seconds and it should bring you to the downgrade FW option. Now if this works you have two options. Stay with the old FW that worked, or wait for that upgrade message to reappear.
2016-9-27
Use props
adamk858
New

United States

wmcvey Posted at 2016-9-27 13:51
Never did it, but you could go back to the old FW by going into the GO app on the first screen you ...

PERFECT! Thank you!!! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'll try the downgrade when I get home and will play around with re-upgrading and such after.
2016-9-27
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

I'm new to the P3S and I also performed the update with the same results as you.
I did what wmcvey suggested, relinked with the RC and all is well. I just finished a flight with no issues.
Before trying to downgrade then update.
Try the relink, shut the system down then restart.

Best
2016-9-27
Use props
adamk858
New

United States

wmcvey Posted at 2016-9-27 13:51
Never did it, but you could go back to the old FW by going into the GO app on the first screen you ...

Update: I held down the graduation cap and it showed blanks for the current firmware versions and gave me the option to update them. Re-did the firmware update and then re-linked them and all is well. Thanks again for your help!
2016-9-28
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

adamk858 Posted at 2016-9-28 12:27
Update: I held down the graduation cap and it showed blanks for the current firmware versions and  ...

Happy to help out. It's nice to hear a success story. It's the folks in CE mode (not US, CAN) that seem to have more issues with the newest FW.
2016-9-28
Use props
roymoon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143901 ft
United States

"Re-did the firmware update and then re-linked them and all is well. Thanks again for your help!"

There's one person that confirmed my pet theory.
Some of these upgrade problems are just bad downloads/uploads.
Just because the upgrade says finished doesn't mean it was done correctly.
2016-9-28
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

roymoon Posted at 2016-9-28 12:57
"Re-did the firmware update and then re-linked them and all is well. Thanks again for your help!"

T ...

Had the very same thoughts, I even posted the same on a different thread once. As the Standard is totally wifi (which is a risky way to update FW), so much can go wrong. It's wifi from the router to your device for the download, than again wifi from the device to the RC, and lastly wifi from the RC to the drone. When I'm talking to anyone on the forum about these FW updates I'll tell them I advice is to park all three pieces, (drone,RC,device) right next to each other and don't move anything till it's all done. And I do the download with my device in the same room as the router, then move far away from that router to do the install. It might be overkill, but I think doing any FW update should be 100% by hardwire.
2016-9-29
Use props
jakeyt030
New

United Kingdom

wmcvey Posted at 2016-9-27 21:51

Ive tried doing that, but it comes up after, searching for different firmware versions...Get firmware version failed..in red letters
any advise on that please
2016-10-4
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

jakeyt030 Posted at 2016-10-4 15:18
Ive tried doing that, but it comes up after, searching for different firmware versions...Get firmw ...

What model Phantom do you have? Also what's your current FW version?
2016-10-4
Use props
jakeyt030
New

United Kingdom

its a phantom 3 standard and got 1.6.80 firmware on it
but the lights to the arms dont light up and it makes a load bleeping noise
when everything is powered up the gimbel and camera works but it always states on the app in a red box that the aircraft is disconnected,,seems like th rc usnt comunicating with the aircraft
2016-10-4
Use props
rcooke007007
New
Flight distance : 65509 ft

I had the same problem at first. I was using my I phone 1st and it did link up but no gps. The i used my Ipad and BAM it worked today. No my account is active i will try my iphone later. Sorry to hear about what happen to you. I have the Phantom 3 4K.
2016-10-4
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

jakeyt030 Posted at 2016-10-4 17:05
but the lights to the arms dont light up and  ...

Did you relink the AC to the RC ?  And if you did then see if this might help: http://forum.dji.com/thread-52777-1-1.html
2016-10-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

jakeyt030 Posted at 2016-10-5 05:05
but the lights to the arms dont light up and  ...

Try to relink as suggested and let us know if the issue persists.
2016-10-4
Use props
fans1f6d70db
New

United Kingdom

I am a new member just got my phantom 3 standard for Christmas, its my 1st drone so I am a complete novice So far fully charged  drone battery and controller. I have been looking on the internet this is where my confusion starts.......seems to be different ideas on how to update firmware I.e some are updating micro-sim with their home pc, others say the firmware update should all be done via the internet and the DJI go app, can someone tell me please which is the correct method to update the firmware, thank you
2016-12-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules