Battery Hibernation
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
brian.dandridge
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I bought my P3A back at the end of July, used it for a few weeks then put it away when I went abroad for seven weeks.  Before leaving I flew the P3A with both batteries to ensure they were discharged to around 40% in line with the instructions.  These same instructions talk about the batteries discharging over several days and then going into hibernation mode.  They also refer to this mode and state that if you try to power on the Power LED will show solid red and the battery state lights will all be off.
I am therefore rather surprised to find that when i checked the batteries both, after seven weeks stored with around 40% charge, are in exactly the same state as when I put them away safely in a LiPo bag.  Have I done something wrong?  I was sure I had followed the correct procedure to ensure they would be properly discharged before being stored and want to ensure I get the maximum life out of them.

Thanks

Brian

2016-9-30
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Not sure I understand your concern. You stored them at 40% and after checking on them 7 weeks later there still at 40%.? That's how they should be, what were you thinking they should be?
2016-9-30
Use props
jamesazen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15262 ft

Agree with wmcvey, they should discharge to a level safe for prolonged storage, not all the way to 0..  
All is well
2016-9-30
Use props
brian.dandridge
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks for the responses.  I think I misunderstood the info in the Intelligent Battery leaflet.  I was under the impression that the batteries would fully discharge and go into hibernation mode even if I had carried out a manual discharge procedure to aprox. 20 - 30%.  I gather I was mistaken and now understand the auto discharge & hibernation only comes into effect if the batteries are left fully charged.   Correct me if I am wrong.
2016-10-1
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

brian.dandridge Posted at 2016-10-1 10:53
Thanks for the responses.  I think I misunderstood the info in the Intelligent Battery leaflet.  I w ...

Mostly correct, if their over 65% charged and when the auto discharge starts it will bring it down to 65%, then stop.
2016-10-1
Use props
r.powell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

wmcvey Posted at 2016-10-1 11:30
Mostly correct, if their over 65% charged and when the auto discharge starts it will bring it down ...

Auto discharge doesn't kick in for 10 days, according to what I;ve read. Although, you can change the # of days for discharge to kick in.
But, is that correct, that auto discharge only takes a battery down to 50-60%??
So, you should store a battery at 100%??
2016-10-1
Use props
wmcvey
Second Officer
United States

r.powell@rogers Posted at 2016-10-1 14:21
Auto discharge doesn't kick in for 10 days, according to what I;ve read. Although, you can change  ...

No, storage is best at 30% to 50% if you read their battery notice, which I'll post a link to. The auto discharge takes it down to below 65% as stated in the manual. And ten days much too long of a setting, 2 to 5 days would be a better setting.
https://www.drone-world.com/medi ... y_Guidelines_en.pdf
2016-10-1
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Agree with them, in addition, hope this tutorial helps:
2016-10-1
Use props
r.powell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft