Chicken Wire "shield"?
1196 7 2016-10-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joejinky
lvl.1

United States

I know ... this will sound dorky

Not knowing anything about the payload of a P4, I am wondering, if a collision "cage" were to be fabricated around a drone, perhaps made out of chicken wire or some other lightweight but stiff material, could the drone still fly, or would the wire cage create a faraday enclosure that would interfere with radio communication?  What if the saucer shaped cage which protected the drone on all sides, top and bottom was made out of a stiff plastic, or fiberglass?  Carbon fiber?  Think of the wire frame that surrounds a floor fan.  I know ... it would be too heavy, but what if it were made much lighter, with less wire?

I am just wondering about options for flying through heavy foilage or trees, or places where a cage would benefit the drone by preventing a collision of the props or the camera or landing gear, such as while flying through a huge flock of birds.

http://youtu.be/Dd2iiVBtj4w

Joe

2016-10-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Yes, it would act like a faraday cage and severely interfere with radio transmission/reception. It will also totally wreck the aerodynamics of the aircraft. It will get in the way of your shots, and it will weigh too much for the aircraft.

In short, it is not a good idea. If you are concerned about trees, stay away from them, that's what everyone else does. As for birds, stay away from them too.
2016-10-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I second Geebax's answer.
2016-10-4
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Perhaps a light plastic structure protecting just the prot.. like a prop guard, but enclosing the prop from top and bottom as well? A plastic mesh? Yes, there still would be a tradeoff for performance with the weight, airflow, aerodynamic characteristics.. but could be interesting for the case of safety in objects proximity?
2016-10-4
Use props
charlieb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 67808 ft

Work on your piloting skills and forget about cages and stuff
2016-10-5
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

Put it all away in the box.
No ptoblems at all then{:4_181:}
2016-10-5
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Just turn on the deflector shields.  Whats the big deal?
2016-10-5
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

I've often thought about a cage around a drone, would make it very safe to fly around people. I've been planning a new sport where the ball flys around, it's called Drone Ball, but don't tell anyone yet
2016-10-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules