Loosing GPS after takeoff
4617 34 2015-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gabriel_rinaldi
lvl.1

United States

I don't know if there is something wrong with my Inspire, but the last 6 flights it looses GPS and switched to Atti mode after takeoff. I'm doing IMU and compass calibration.

After I takes off,  as soon as it looses the optical sensor it will loose the GPS, if I bring it back (no need to land) it will show get GPS lock again. If I keep flying in Atti mode it will eventually lock on the GPS and not loose the connection again. One thing to note is that I'm taking off with full bars on the GPS indicator.

I'm not sure if it's related, but it takes more than a 360 for the Inspire to accept the calibration (in both positions).

Does anyone have the same issue?
2015-2-1
Use props
chato1974.email
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3657356 ft
  • >>>
United States

The IOS version will drop the GPS signal intermittently. It's something that should be fixed with the official version.
2015-2-1
Use props
outie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266926 ft
  • >>>
United States

It does not have anything to do with iOS version. I use android as well and it's got the same problem. I have had this issue since updating to .16 firmware along with many others on rcgroups.

I consistently lose GPS immediately after taking off. I always need to correct it from drifting away in ATTI mode for a few before it's locked back to GPS mode. As stated, once locked back to GPS it's fine for the rest of the flight. So just be careful if you are taking off from a crowded area.
2015-2-2
Use props
gabriel_rinaldi
lvl.1

United States

outie Posted at 2015-2-2 16:22
It does not have anything to do with iOS version. I use android as well and it's got the same proble ...

Does the Android version show's you the number of satellites? I saw that in one of the Dji videos but now there is only a bar, no number there. I wonder if the problem is it saying is safe to fly with only three satellites.
2015-2-2
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

With a monitor hooked to the Tx you can see sat count.
2015-2-2
Use props
Playful Monster
lvl.2

United States

I have the same problem with the exception it takes me two gps drops every time. It's sad to say I now expect it and lift of hover till it does it. Then proceed with my plans
2015-2-3
Use props
gabriel_rinaldi
lvl.1

United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-2-3 15:06
With a monitor hooked to the Tx you can see sat count.

What monitor are you using? Do you use that plus the tablet/phone?
2015-2-3
Use props
morg8651.gmail
New

Switzerland

Hi, I have experienced the same thing : lost GPS signal completely. It's scarie situation.
2015-2-4
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

gabriel_rinaldi Posted at 2015-2-4 13:00
What monitor are you using? Do you use that plus the tablet/phone?

Yep run a galaxy s pro 8.4 tablet and then hook this cool lil monitor to the hdmi outout on the transmitter ..Very clear video feed for such a cheap lil monitor. also has a cool pop up sun shade.
Monitor has hdmi in and out )
1280 x800 works out just fine.
No phone used to small to see all the data and a second screen is off the hook for fast reference while flying.

Neewer® DC-70 Clip-on Portable 7" Color TFT LCD Monitor HDMI 1280x 800Pixels with Standard & Sony Shoes for DSLR Camera Camcorder

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2015-2-4
Use props
ras188.gmail
lvl.2
United States

I lost gps during two separate flights today in an open field. The inspire was unresponsive to any controller input. This was flying about 300ft from the remote. Something needs to be done about this bug ASAP.
2015-2-4
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

ras188.gmail Posted at 2015-2-5 09:08
I lost gps during two separate flights today in an open field. The inspire was unresponsive to any c ...

Losing GPS shouldn't have lost your connection with the bird??
It would send you into ATTI.

Maybe a separate issue?
2015-2-4
Use props
ras188.gmail
lvl.2
United States

shakyamunifilms Posted at 2015-2-5 10:22
Losing GPS shouldn't have lost your connection with the bird??
It would send you into ATTI.

Possibly a separate issue. I noticed I lost gps and had to control at the same time. I'm using all default settings. I have gimbal control but cannot rotate or up/down the bird at all for a few seconds while this happens.
2015-2-4
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68555177 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine is doing the same thing.  I'm on Android and doesn't matter which device.  It usually happens within 30-45 seconds after takeoff and lasts 5-15 seconds. Once it goes back to GPS lock it's fine for rest of flight.  Also, if I land and change battery quickly it doesn't drop GPS on follow up flight but if I shut it down for a few and then do new flight it will loose GPS briefly as expected.  I noticed "Compass Abnormal" flashes up when it loses GPS but compass numbers are normal and I'm in area with no known interference.
2015-2-4
Use props
UM305
lvl.3

United States

Quick question, need advise.
The purple light mean GPS lock? in the latest firmware version
My bird just show green light (slow/blinking ) but never purple light.
please advise  
2015-2-6
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

UM305 Posted at 2015-2-7 04:02
My bird  ...

Green is what you need those purple lights where on demo inspires and early videos.

I caught that same inconsistency as well wish they would clear that up and edit those demo videos.

IM GROUNDING MINE WAY TOO MUCH LIABILTY

Person on this forum just had a fly away and lost his inspire 1 !!
2015-2-6
Use props
UM305
lvl.3

United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-2-7 04:13
Green is what you need those purple lights where on demo inspires and early videos.

I caught that ...

Thank you (Colonel Angus)
Duly noted .
2015-2-6
Use props
NomadicFlight
lvl.1

United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-2-7 04:13

I caught that ...

I'm going to be doing the same now... Looks like there's simply too many cases involving GPS inconsistency... Disregard my last post on the Lost Inspire 1... Looks like a new firmware update is needed soon...
2015-2-6
Use props
walkowiak.macie
lvl.1

Poland

outie Posted at 2015-2-2 16:22
It does not have anything to do with iOS version. I use android as well and it's got the same proble ...

I have the same situations but it happens 2-3 time in first 3-4 minutes. Im scared to fly more than 200 meters from me cause never now whats will happens. Its very annoying. When DJI will repair it ??
2015-2-17
Use props
TuonoV4
lvl.2

South Africa

Don't forget that the military and general aviation take priority over us minions where gps is concerned. And considering all the kak going on in the world right now, I'm not surprised about signal lose or reduction.
2015-2-20
Use props
Muscadel
lvl.3

South Africa

Ha Ha Ha Tuono, I presume you are South African?

2015-2-20
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-2-5 05:55
Yep run a galaxy s pro 8.4 tablet and then hook this cool lil monitor to the hdmi outout on the tr ...

I just picked up the D70 at a great price thanks!!
2015-2-24
Use props
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

Never happened to me, sofar! starting to believe it may be hardware related !
2015-2-24
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

CrabHawk Posted at 2015-2-25 00:31
I just picked up the D70 at a great price thanks!!

Excellent, How's your flights as of late ?
2015-2-26
Use props
cobcrate
lvl.3
Flight distance : 358412 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I too have this issue of dropping GPS. It's consistently inconsistent ;) It happens on every flight though. I can count on it within the first few minutes. Usually more after that. I've also noticed some additional behaviour: 1) Despite giving it a few minutes to establish GPS coordinates, it sometimes launches and is very unstable, it then loses GPS and falls back to ATTI, then GPS comes back and things are much more solid. Sometimes it takes one more round of this. 2) This one is strange, but it's usually worse on my second round of flying after switching to my other battery pack. I'm giving it the same amount of time to establish GPS connectivity. I'm not sure why, but it's an observation. All in all though, the Inspire has amazing GPS flight ability when it works. However relying on it is actually very scary. Especially since I know it WILL fail at some point, I just don't know when. Hope this gets fixed soon. The latest Firmware did not change the behaviour.
2015-2-27
Use props
mgowell
lvl.2

United States

For what it's worth - I too experience a GPS loss about 45 seconds after takeoff.  I have to wrangle it under control with ATTI mode until GPS re locks   Made for a scary experience in a complex environment yesterday.  My advice get comfortable with ATTI mode in an open field until this is remedied
2015-2-28
Use props
Editart
lvl.2

Sweden

Clear blue sky, windy. 4 GPS dropouts in an 11 minute flight, dropouts lasted between 5-15 seconds. Scary experience since the wind took it instantly. Managed to control it but in a tight area It would have been devastating. This is really something that need to be adressed. Its not that I cant fly in ATTI mode, its just that you are relying on a supporting function that suddenly disappears and it takes you off guard.

DJI reps! It would be great to get some feedback regarding this.
2015-3-9
Use props
Skywolf007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2758875 ft
Slovakia

I have the same here. I had 2 dropouts so far. 1st time I was really really lucky. We went to shot a castle, I flow 35m from the ground than suddenly brutal drift, cause by a minor wind. If Im lower I crash into a tree or a castle.  2nd happened a day later but I was prepared that it might happen again.

I lose GPS always after take off, it switches into atti mode, and just flies away... I need to take care after takeoff, when it happens, I must fly in atti mode. The strange thing, that it wont fly away if I change the batteries. I contacted DJI support, I will send them the flight logs tomorrow.

2015-3-9
Use props
choptlivah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 795633 ft
Canada

I've never lost gps,  got 41 flights under the belt.  only two problems have ever happened and both were exactly the same. Lost RC connection with the bird because the Ipad was too cold.  Both instances RTH kicked in and it returned back to me in one piece.  
2015-3-9
Use props
rustysilverwing
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7962966 ft
United States

Lost GPS at 250' and 3 minutes into flight, switched to ATTI and began to lower (it was directly overhead.) Watched the iPad flicker in and out on GPS/GPS lost. Landed okay. If it had been some distance out and me unable to determine direction of flight for a few moments when it dropped the GPS, I could have lost the bird completely. Weird – camera stopped recording at exactly 3 minutes while in flight.
Situation: clear field, set compass over level dirt area with no electronics on me. Eight sats, set home point for both controller and drone. iPad set to Airplane Mode, map cached. Flight record shows entire flight even though camera stopped early, and shows dropping GPS and my switch to ATTI.
2015-3-9
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-2-5 05:55
Yep run a galaxy s pro 8.4 tablet and then hook this cool lil monitor to the hdmi outout on the tr ...

I have the same EXACT setup! It is pretty sweet I have lost GPS once WAY out there 1500M.
2015-3-9
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

UM305 Posted at 2015-2-7 04:02
My bird  ...

Green is good!
2015-3-9
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Lets light this candle its spring in the Midwest now is the time to fly !!!!!!
Green Go here too Grabhawk!!
2015-3-9
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

choptlivah Posted at 2015-3-10 06:55
I've never lost gps,  got 41 flights under the belt.  only two problems have ever happened and both  ...

Funny you say that.. Great info BTW as I suspect so many people don't let this bird sit after powering it up..Old Phantom rule was let it sit for 3 mins if not longer then fly..Seems like great advice!
2015-3-9
Use props
marco
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1500794 ft
Austria

TuonoV4 Posted at 2015-2-20 18:11
Don't forget that the military and general aviation take priority over us minions where gps is conce ...

What you say is just wrong
2015-3-10
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

TuonoV4 Posted at 2015-2-20 18:11
Don't forget that the military and general aviation take priority over us minions where gps is conce ...

My understanding is that GPS does not work as you are describing. The military don't consume it, GPS is like sonar, the satellites constantly send signals randomly all over the globe. These signals are are received at different times and a computation is made in the receiver based on the differences of the timing of these signals. In essence the receiver is triangulating with these signals. The more signals, the greater the acuracy. The misconception is that GPS is more accurate for military use, it's not. It's the receiver that is more accurate. What is more accurate for the government is satellite photography. They have far greater acuracy than civilian users. GPS fails for a few reasons namely, signal loss from obstructions, satelite hardware failures, could be due to solar flares or just plain broken, signal jamming or the most common here... Receiver malfunction.
2015-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules