3614 43 2015-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
livemediaktm.gm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6619216 ft
  • >>>
India

My P2 falls down suddenly during the flight,and on that time there is no stick controls worked.There is no warning messages shows on FPV Screen. it does not occures frequently,but after a certain flights it suddenly happen...it not only happened on descend time and also on hovering. I allready changed my batteries and play loads...,updated firmwares...But no matter... (Sorry for my bad english)  
attached a video footage on here...
http://www.dacast.com/viewer/videos/p2-falls-4/
2015-2-3
Use props
zach.anderson.m
lvl.1

United States

Never take off from a metallic surface
It disrupts the compass readings.
2015-2-3
Use props
johnwarr.live
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

From the video it looks like you have all sorts of stuff bolted to the Phantom, do you know what the total weight of the unit is ?
After the first time it falls, why do you continue to fly over peoples heads ? Not a smart move until you sort out the problem.
Can you post some photos of your Phantom so we can see all the bits you have added to it.
2015-2-3
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

I can't help here I'm afraid but I must comment on the insane flying you carried out over the bridesmaids after already having had a crash onto the hood of the car. You were lucky not to have hit that little girl- very irresponsible knowing you already had an unstable craft.
Rod
2015-2-3
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

Agree, very recless! You are giving us (responisble pilots) a bad name.

But to your VRS? problem. Have you checked your props on any damages? Also, remove your prop guards and see if it happens without too!
2015-2-3
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

and whatever you do stop descending straight down and fast.  descend slower AND with lateral movement.  not sure that was 100% the cause or anything but defn something you shouldnt be doing.
2015-2-3
Use props
swomilan.email
lvl.4

Mexico

What was your altitude above sea level? (approx.)  
which Phantom model, version and add on equipment (if applicable)?
What Props?  OEM DJI 9443, OEM DJI 9450 or aftermarket?

2015-2-3
Use props
trailtec.dodo
lvl.2

Australia

He's pulled the video (come up as not available) but from what you guys have said the OP needs to wise up and act a little more responsibily. Imagine the damage to both the people and the hobby if you slashed a small girl at a wedding?

Never take off from a metallic surface
It disrupts the compass readings.

:facepalm: Now there's something that should have occured to me withouit being told, I did just that yesterday. Do you think a half inch thick piece of plywood would be enough to mask a surface such as a car roof? My guess is no but opinions are always good.
2015-2-3
Use props
SavannahQuad
lvl.2

United States

are you pulling down on your left stick in each of these shots?  It looks like it.  I know mine  if you pull the stick down for a couple of seconds it shuts the motors off.   Also, I totally agree, you need to make sure you fly safely while you figure this out!!
2015-2-3
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

it wont shut the motors off unless it goes 3 secs with no descent.  if you do that in your hand or on the ground it will shut them off, but not up in the air.  there are multiple threads on this board regarding that and 2 or 3 of us have actually tested and proven it out (myself included).  
2015-2-3
Use props
SavannahQuad
lvl.2

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-4 08:42
it wont shut the motors off unless it goes 3 secs with no descent.  if you do that in your hand or o ...

ty for the verification, was just checking.
2015-2-3
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

trailtec.dodo Posted at 2015-2-4 08:27
He's pulled the video (come up as not available) but from what you guys have said the OP needs to wi ...

The video still plays for me...  For those that can't get it, the OP is shooting a wedding. He calls it the wobble of death- it very could have been!

The first aerial shot as the bride leaves the car, the phantom drops from the sky and crashes on the hood of her car.

Crash 2- he is flying above the bridesmaids and it falls from the sky and lands between two little girls- this would have been a hospital job for sure.

The third crash is  very high in front of the church and he seems to catch it before it hits the deck.

I cannot believe that anyone would continue flying after the 1st crash.  The OP wants to know what went wrong- well it is simple- he left his brains at home - This really hacks me off to see such dangerous and reckless flying.  It does us no favours.

Rod
2015-2-3
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

rod Posted at 2015-2-4 11:11
The video still plays for me...  For those that can't get it, the OP is shooting a wedding. The fi ...

It still opens for me also.  For that little girl that he just missed, it would have been major trauma to the head if it had hit her.
2015-2-3
Use props
swomilan.email
lvl.4

Mexico

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-4 08:42
it wont shut the motors off unless it goes 3 secs with no descent.  if you do that in your hand or o ...

Yep throttle down alone won't shut down the motors a mid air  CRC however would but parts of the video still showed the props still running when it hits the surface.
Looked like typical wobble of death, likely too heavy for the available lift with detrimental effect from the prop guards.
2015-2-3
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Lets see, the first 3 times it cane down in 10 seconds (give or take a few seconds)  Then on the last it stayed up for more than 2 + minutes, so the weight cannot be a factor or it would have come down a lot earlier on the fourth flight .  He was coming down the last flight to fast which can induce the vortex with or without prop guards.  As many flights with guards is about the same as many without guards that have experienced the vortex.  Coming straight down increases the chance of a vortex.
2015-2-3
Use props
swomilan.email
lvl.4

Mexico

It does not only happen on descents, wobble of death can also be induced by small wind gusts or just by a sudden control movements if the unit is getting close to its flight limits. Problem is that the video doesn't really show the wobbles due to the gimbal stabilization and the camera being down so much.  
2015-2-3
Use props
trailtec.dodo
lvl.2

Australia

At any rate it sounds very silly

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-2-4 11:15
It still opens for me also.  For that little girl that he just missed, it would have been major tr ...

Damn, all I get is a black screen after clicking play and the words "The video P2 Falls 2 is offline". US only maybe?
It sounds like very irrisponsible flying from the description.
2015-2-3
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

trailtec.dodo Posted at 2015-2-4 12:09
Damn, all I get is a black screen after clicking play and the words "The video P2 Falls 2 is offli ...

http://www.dacast.com/viewer/videos/p2-falls-2/
I just reopened it from here,  I'm in New York
2015-2-3
Use props
Larry L
lvl.3

United States

Wow! On another note, reminds me of a timex watch. Takes a licking & keeps on ticking.
2015-2-3
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

it has been 10 days since i injured three of my fingers on these props, one finger has a long way to go healing.  i'll say that i have no doubt that an unlucky hit from the props could have easily killed one of those little girls.  this hobby is not ready for prime time filming 15ft above innocent people.  if we, as enthusiast, want to gather together in a remote area and hurt one another KNOWING the risks, that is one thing, and i frankly support that, but putting people in harms way that have absolutely no idea just how bad this thing can cut you dont deserve that.

im not trying to bash the guy, we all live and learn.  that is why i barely have a pinky finger right now.  but i couldnt live with it if i hurt someone else, i think it is ok to risk my own safety for my own fun, but to do it to others (particularly innocent bystanders) should be seriously avoided.
2015-2-3
Use props
trailtec.dodo
lvl.2

Australia

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-4 13:46
it has been 10 days since i injured three of my fingers on these props, one finger has a long way to ...

^^^ WERD ^^^
2015-2-3
Use props
grangerfx.gmail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

I don't see what you are all complaining about. The drone is perfectly safe. It has prop guards.
2015-2-3
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

grangerfx.gmail Posted at 2015-2-4 14:21
I don't see what you are all complaining about. The drone is perfectly safe. It has prop guards.

Tell that to the person that gets hit on the head with a 3 pound machine.
2015-2-3
Use props
ambambcopter.bt
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Very likely the car roof didn't help the compass.
Also an aspect that could play a big part is heat and humidity.
In bright sunlight the car would become a heat-dam and radiating heat into the air above it.
So that violent bubbles of heated air would be shooting up like rockets.
In fact that whole area could behave like a radiator, releasing energetic bubbles of hot air.
So the closer to the ground the more unstable the air.
Hot air and humidity are the enemy of lift.
2015-2-4
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

hey dumbass, the prop guards dont protect spherically.  once the thing is below 2ft and bouncing around on the ground AND THE MOTORS ARE NOT OFF the prop guards dont prevent every angle of contact.  my craft had prop guards on it and i was still injured and i am much more resilient to injury than those 4-5 yr old girls.  wtf is wrong with you.
2015-2-4
Use props
swomilan.hotmai
lvl.4

Mexico

ambambcopter.bt Posted at 2015-2-4 17:24
Very likely the car roof didn't help the compass.
Also an aspect that could play a big part is heat  ...

The compass won't cause it to drop it out of the sky even if it would be out of calibration or effected by ferromagnetic materials in the vicinity. If it would be horizontal instability then yes it could be the compass but not for vertical instability.
I doubt that we'll get any more info out of  the OP so let the wild guesses prevail
2015-2-4
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

If at first you don't succeed - don't try again until you fix it and then in an open space away from everyone.
2015-2-4
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

I can also only shake my head to this statement. Like the word says "prop gurards" will protect the props, and motots/ESC, not any object comming to close. Just have a look at this https://www.youtube.com/v/ji3Hii_LZOc (not me or my vid).
2015-2-4
Use props
gsp171.email
lvl.3

United States

The guy in that vid is an idiot, they are safe if you have common sense

https://www.youtube.com/v/ji3Hii_LZOc

2015-2-4
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

gsp171.email Posted at 2015-2-5 00:57
The guy in that vid is an idiot, they are safe if you have common sense

How safe was that little girl with that idiot flying a defective machine over her head?
2015-2-4
Use props
grangerfx.gmail
lvl.4
United States

markus2015 Posted at 2015-2-5 00:54
I can also only shake my head to this statement. Like the word says "prop gurards" will protect th ...

I had considered adding a note to my post saying that I was being sarcastic but felt it would not be needed on this forum considering all the experienced Phantom pilots here. I guess I will explain the joke: Prop guards are mostly useless and can make the drone less safe to operate and more likely to crash. The best way to fly safely is to do so away from people. Drones are large heavy objects and the blades can do real damage if they hit someone, especially a child.
2015-2-4
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

haha, ok, now reading back at your post it is pretty funny (not making light of the danger to those people, just totally hilarious that your post was funny if read with sarcasm and spot on jackass if you were being serious).  thx for clarifying.
2015-2-4
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

grangerfx.gmail Posted at 2015-2-5 01:15
I had considered adding a note to my post saying that I was being sarcastic but felt it would not  ...

I had guards on for more than 50 flights and never had a crash or an induced vortex.  So it's an opinion answer.  
2015-2-4
Use props
trailtec.dodo
lvl.2

Australia

Yup, won't open in OZ however. Where's Guy, he can verify it's not viewable here.

EDIT: nope, opened in Sea Monkey so it's a browser issue.
OP: That really was the height of stupidity mate. You are lucky no one was hurt!
2015-2-4
Use props
grangerfx.gmail
lvl.4
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-2-5 01:18
I had guards on for more than 50 flights and never had a crash or an induced vortex.  So it's an o ...

Actually I am considering getting some myself after this thread. I don't want to catch my P2V+ because I need all my fingers for typing. I also don't want to burn out the ESCs if it tips over which it likes to do on landing unless I am very careful and lucky.
2015-2-4
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

grangerfx.gmail Posted at 2015-2-5 01:25
Actually I am considering getting some myself after this thread. I don't want to catch my P2V+ bec ...

That's a good idea.  I have never hand caught the Phantom.  I've always landed and shut the props off before approaching it.  I have a deep respect for those 4 spinning meat slicers.
2015-2-4
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

yes and it wouldnt take much of a 1)  last second gps autocorrect  coupled with 2) a good gust of wind coupled with 3) default or high autopilot gains, to result in a hand catch turning into stitches in  your neck, head or face... and prop guards wouldnt eliminate that threat only minimize it, i think ill land on the ground and risk $$ than hand catch.  
2015-2-4
Use props
Slang10.videotr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37884 ft
Canada

The first problem I saw wasn't the P2, it's the pilot who flew above people !
Thank man for your stupidity!
2015-2-4
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

I always hand catch mine and have had prop guards on since I got it.   It prevents dust on debris getting into the vents on the arms and the camera.  I bring it down to a reachable hover, then approach and hold a landing skid (downward leg).  I wear a neck strap on the controller which makes it easier to shutdown the engines with my left hand and catch with my right.  Works for me.
2015-2-4
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

talk2t_c Posted at 2015-2-5 05:35
I always hand catch mine and have had prop guards on since I got it.   It prevents dust on debris ge ...

Hi, yes I often hand catch especially if in course grass.  My technique is: bring the bird down to about 2.5 metres alt.  This means I have to reach up to grab a leg and I can't possibly get near  the blades.  Then just left stick down to stop motors and all is well.  (needs RC on a lanyard of course.)

Or you can do what the OP does and pull it vertically down at full throttle and watch it dis-assemble as it hits the ground!
Cheers!
Rod
Rod
2015-2-4
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules